The President and the Polls

Jayman

Expert Expediter
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's approval rating has rebounded to 44 percent, the highest level in a year, in the latest USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, the newspaper reported on Tuesday. Bush's approval rating jumped five points from 39 percent in the previous poll conducted earlier this month.

The bounce comes with seven weeks before elections to deicide control of Congress amid falling gas prices and a renewed campaign by Bush to boost support for the Iraq war and to portray Republicans as more competent than Democrats on security, the newspaper said.

Bush's approval rating edged up largely on the strength of Republicans coming back to the fold with 86 percent saying they support him now, compared to 70 percent in May, USA Today said.

For the first time since December 2005, a majority of people polled did not say the war in Iraq was a mistake. The respondents were evenly split at 49 percent to 49 percent, the report said. However, the poll finds that the Iraq war continues to be a problem for Bush. Sixty percent said he does not have a clear plan for handling Iraq and 75 percent said Iraq is in a civil war, USA Today said.

ACW4478

Expert Expediter
44%, now there is an accomplishment. Why? SCARE the heck out of the weak and they'll follow. TERROR, TERROR, They're gonna kill you! That is all the Republicans have left.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itselfâ€: FDR’s First Inaugural Address. Not according to Bush. Here's some interesting news today about a poll worker associated with you know who.

AP Connecticut

Polling company employee pleads guilty to fraud
September 19, 2006, 3:38 PM EDT

NEW HAVEN, (AP) _ An employee of a company that conducted campaign polls for President Bush, Sen. Joe Lieberman and other political candidates pleaded guilty Tuesday to making up poll results, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.

Darryl Hylton, 42, of Hamden pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall in Bridgeport to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. The Guilford-based company, DataUSA, is now known as Viewpoint USA.

Aviator

Expert Expediter
First of all, the people you are saying we should not be worried about are threatening the Pope now. How is that for the Religon of Peace?

Second, I doubt the guy who in trouble for making poll numbers up made them up YESTERDAY. More likely he was involved with making polls up a couple months ago when the presidents poll numbers were at an all time low.

Think.

Aviator

ACW4478

Expert Expediter
Real leaders don't use fear and propaganda to control it's citizens, but then again look who's in charge. Someone should remind him about Osama.

According to Fred Barnes, Fox News Commentator, Bush has downgraded finding bin Laden:

Host: Alright Fred, you and a few other journalists were in the Oval Office with the President, right? And he says catching Osama bin Laden is not job number one?

Barnes: Well, he said, look, you can send 100,000 special forces, that's the figure he used, to the mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan and hunt him down, but he just said that's not a top priority use of American resources. His vision of a war on terror is one that involves intelligence to find out from people, to get tips, to follow them up and break up plots to kill Americans before they occur. That's what happened recently in that case of the planes that were to be blown up by terrorists, we think coming from England, and that's the top priority. He says, you know, getting Osama bin Laden is a low priority compared to that. I can't help.

What in the h@ll? Bush has been on so many sides of this issue that he is giving new meaning to flip flop. First it was dead or alive, followed by "bin Laden, I don't think much about him." Then, a couple of weeks ago, we heard "bin Laden/Saddam/9-11" repeated ad nauseam. And now, he's a low priority. Plus, note that Bush, who vowed to fight terrorism as a military threat instead of relying on that silly Clinton policy of law enforcement and intelligence, now believes, based on what Freddie Barnes reports, that Clinton's vision of catching terrorists based on intelligence is spot on.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Speaking of fear...from what the news is saying, Al-Qaida is encouraging all muslims in the U.S. to leave the states as soon as possible. Especially if they live in the NYC and DC area. There have been quite a few stories in the last few weeks about possible attacks. It may be a good idea for those who travel a lot (like truck drivers) to watch the news so they can make an informed decision on whether they should go to NYC or DC.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
ACW4478

I don't mean to be disreaspectful but.... (fill in the blank)

I am going to say the same thing to you as I have reapeatly said to Tallcal, understand that these people want to KILL YOU. Get real, get serious because this is no movie and it will come to your town.

See I just went through this argument with two college freshmans. Both these girls were clueless (worst than the movie) about the real enemy of our way of life and us. They didn't see what was the big deal about the terrorist in the Middle East until I explain to them what life is like under their rules. I still don't think they got it but I hope that they will at least challange their little brains to think.

Now as I was typing away on the Chavez stuff, an interesting thing came to my attention, the terrorist in Iraq are now using something I heard about in Africa, they are using kidnapped victims as bombers. How great is this? Imagine your son or daughter being kidnapped here in the US and then released at school only to have them used as a weapon. Sounds like it won't happen here? D*mn skippy it will if we don't take it seriously.

But I don't expect liberals to understand this, as much as I think that they still don't get who a terrorist can be or what damage they can do. I have yet seen anythign concrete about the protection of the US from any democrat and hope that they eiter get it together or lose in november. I don't really care about the party lines, the liberal vs. conservitive stuff when dealing with these people is not as important as protectiing the country. But seeing you also hold to party lines, I invite you to go to places I have been, see Muslim domination and conversions first hand. I would like to see if you change your tune about this entire subject when you see what it means to convert or die. Some of these areas are far worse than Iraq is and talk about horror... JUST Watch the movie, it seems to be right on.

Also I have to add something, the sad fact that we have three senators who think they can prevent us from protecitng ourselves by using some dumb flawed reasoning. I mean people like John McCain (R- Ariz,Traitor)and his claim that torture is the wrong thing to do cr*p. Sorry if he got tortured but that was then and this is now and his entire position is too far off base that I think he should step down as a senator. We need to extract information by anymeans from an enemy who has the mind set that in order to kill us they must die too. They live in a black and white world, they don't care about rules, they are animals and they only have one purpose - to kill YOU.

ACW4478

Expert Expediter
"I don't mean to be disreaspectful but.... (fill in the blank)"

Greg, Well I will. Spoken like a true chickenhawk all talk. You have no problem with the spilling of other peoples blood for an illegal War, that you think is WWIII. NO Draft, Tax Cuts for the rich, well I guess Bush doesn't even think this as important as you. "Put up or shut up, no excuses." Enjoy agreeing with each other. Talk to you fools after the midterms.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
ACW4478 said; “Greg, Well I will. Spoken like a true chickenhawk all talk. You have no problem with the spilling of other peoples blood for an illegal War, that you think is WWIII. NO Draft, Tax Cuts for the rich, well I guess Bush doesn't even think this as important as you. "Put up or shut up, no excuses." Enjoy agreeing with each other. Talk to you fools after the midterms.â€

You know you seem to be like many who take talking points and believe them, well what can I say.

Chickenhawk? OK, whatever..

Well first thing is what is an illegal war?

Please define this in terms of our laws, not laws of a made up entity that only exists at the behest of treaties. If you can’t explain what an illegal war is in OUR country’s terms, then it is clear that my point is made – it is a Cindy Sheehan talking point and irrelevant.

But so you have an understanding about how it works let me explain that the congress of the United States voted to go to war. Without their consent, there is no way around them. They fund military actions and have pretty much a final say so with a lot of things. And something that people seem to forget is that if the Dems (senior ones) wanted to stop this, there are rules that are in place in the congress that would provide a means. Don't let them fool you - they have a lot of power even as a minority.

In the case of HJ res114 (this is the joint resolution that was passed to go to war) 77 senators (including a number of Democrats) and 296 representatives (also including a number of Democrats) voted to allow Bush to use military force against Iraq. Now the funny things is (actually rather sad because too many ***** people don’t read the facts) this joint resolution specifically states that the action is in “pursuant to United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) in order to achieve implementation of Security Council Resolution 660, 661, 662, 664, 665, 666, 667, 669, 670, 674, and 677†and that it “supports the use of all necessary means to achieve the goals of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688â€. Look UN is mentioned and also knew about it before it went to the floor for a vote. Opps there it is….

But the best part to many who know what is in it is this; “Whereas the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-338) expressed the sense of Congress that it should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove from power the current Iraqi regime and promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regimeâ€

History of Public Law 105-338 -
9/29/1998 Introduced/originated in House
10/5/1998 Passed/agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 360 - 38 (Roll No. 482).
10/7/1998 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate without amendment by Unanimous Consent.
10/31/1998 Signed by President.
10/31/1998 Became Public Law No: 105-338

Amazing that Clinton said something along the lines that this is the POLICY OF THE COUNTRY and was not changed when Bush took office. Oh that means that Clinton actually declared war against the sovereign country of Iraq two years before Bush was elected. I think that Clinton didn’t have the nerve to tackle the job and left it alone. Funny how he defended an un-defendable position Sunday and LIED about Bin Laden. Oh the humanity……

So let’s recap….

Illegal war means that the president acted without the permission or knowledge of the congress, our elected governing body. Didn’t happen and this is an impeacable offense if it actually happened.

Bush did not have the permission from the UN. Wrong, there were over 12 resolutions that were voted and passed by UN Security Council about Iraq. A few of these were not the idea of the US but rather Arabs states.

Bush was the first to suggest that we needed to go to war with Iraq and set the policy of the country to change the government of Iraq. Wrong again, the fact that Clinton set the policy in 1998, not Bush speaks for itself.

Oh before you anything about the WmD thing, remember this is a country that boasted that they killed their own citizens with CW that they created in country. So with the money from Oil for Food UN program, they not only had money but they never destroyed the ablility to creat things like Sarin and Mustard gas. Opps, maybe Clinton forgot?

Second point within the context of the illegal war cr*p is spilling who’s blood? Spilling innocent people who live accept that their purpose is to die for some Jihad? Come on, get real.

Yes it is sort of WW3, the problem is that you and many who read into the talking points from the left think as gospel otherwise. You think that it is alight to accept terrorist as humans and that this was all caused by Bush and the invasion of Iraq. This started on Carter’s watch guy, the biggest mistake that this country ever did. He was soft, he showed weakness and they exploited it since. Just take a serious step back and watch what is going on – laws are being changed to fit their needs, you can’t say anything against Islam because it is a hate crime or we fear them, call for pray is allowed a lot of places and we have senators (McCain R-AZ traitor and McCain jr.) who say we must not define something that puts our laws and survival behind a treaty.

Oh yep the tax cut comment. Look I don’t care about the rich – I am not rich but did benefit from the tax cut. They earn money, they have created wealth but they also buy things, employ people and etc… really if you are so concern about this, well you need to re-exam your life and your priorities. It is not important how much someone else pays in taxes unless they are cheating and not paying what the law prescribes them to pay.

I have a feeling that the dems won’t get the power in November.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
WOW Well said Greg! :7

I think your right about the dems in November too. They had some steam for a little while, but it seems to be fading away. You "usually" cant win elections by hoping people just dislike the other person more. Always good to have a better plan. lol