The Newer Unreliable Cargo Vans

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Typical Bullcrap, they know all too well the multitude of similar issues owners are having.... The emergency brake issue was so common they re-engineered and eliminated the hand crank for it opting for an electric system for it ... When my transmission lost reverse they had seen it so much they just automatically replaced it rather than following their standard procedure of taking it apart and sending FCA pictures and trying to salvage the original by throwing parts into it .... Its taking an average of a year's wait for their mechanics to get into one of the 2 certification programs they have for the promaster and Dodge can't keep enough certified techs at all business link certified dealerships, and non certified techs aren't supposed to do any warranty work

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

schwanman

Expert Expediter
At 317,000 miles on my Gas 2014 Promaster i averaged 19.4 mpg.... doing 68 to 69 mph...

At 39,849 miles on my Gas 2017 Promaster i average 19.3 mpg..(body 15 inches longer) doing 68 to 69 mph ....

Side note slow down alittle ... find your Vans Sweet spot ... keep extra money in Wallet ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you
What does your dash say for mpg?
Mine is at 20.9 mpg so far. Just wanted to get a ballpark idea.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 317,000 miles on my Gas 2014 Promaster i averaged 19.4 mpg.... doing 68 to 69 mph...

At 39,849 miles on my Gas 2017 Promaster i average 19.3 mpg..(body 15 inches longer) doing 68 to 69 mph ....

Side note slow down alittle ... find your Vans Sweet spot ... keep extra money in Wallet ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you
What does your dash say for mpg?
Mine is at 20.9 mpg so far. Just wanted to get a ballpark idea.
I prefer the physical tank to tank calculation for a better number...those dashboard calcs are known to be "off"

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been driving my vintage 06 Sprinter all these years waiting for something better to arrive. The 07-13 is definitely out of the question for me. All the horror stories and a set back on mpg why bother.. hopefully the prices on the 14-16 will come down but supply and demand there weren't that many of them sold with other vans on the market so we will wait and see. I'm sure I could do 700-800 miles effortlessly.

Reactions: RoadTime

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Replaced transmission at 144,000 miles...had lifters and rocker arms done at 133,000. Dealer claimed to not have ever seen an issue with the transmission but first Promaster driver I saw after getting mine back said their company had bought 16 of them and 7 had to have transmissions replaced. All on 2016 gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: robin280

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Replaced transmission at 144,000 miles...had lifters and rocker arms done at 133,000. Dealer claimed to not have ever seen an issue with the transmission but first Promaster driver I saw after getting mine back said their company had bought 16 of them and 7 had to have transmissions replaced. All on 2016 gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EO Forums mobile app
Under warranty?

William Williamson

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got a 2012 sprinter 2500 bluetech 118000 miles
I need a place that can service it that is not going to see me as their retirement plan
I am in central Virginia about equal distance to Richmond Fredericksburg Newport News Williamsburg

Any recommendations

Thanks

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got a 2012 sprinter 2500 bluetech 118000 miles
I need a place that can service it that is not going to see me as their retirement plan
I am in central Virginia about equal distance to Richmond Fredericksburg Newport News Williamsburg

Any recommendations

Thanks
We had a good experience with the sprinter dealer near Alexandria, VA. They have a stand alone shop, different then MB show room.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
tysingers in hampton va is the best been going there for over 13 years, give aj a call at 757 251 2056
there open on Sat to , also if you help give me pm, also do out side commercial sales

Reactions: Michael_H

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been driving my vintage 06 Sprinter all these years waiting for something better to arrive. The 07-13 is definitely out of the question for me. All the horror stories and a set back on mpg why bother.. hopefully the prices on the 14-16 will come down but supply and demand there weren't that many of them sold with other vans on the market so we will wait and see. I'm sure I could do 700-800 miles effortlessly.

Stick to the 06. Buy a brand new or rebuilt engine and your set 5k for engine vs 50k for new van

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only problem with that is it limits the companies you can drive for.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have a nice 2007 170 sprinter that needs a new motor. the quote for a new engine is $11,060.00 a core charge of $2,400 and labor to install $2,537.50 I would love to be able to afford it as a 07 is a good size and no def. It was getting about 21 mpg and ran for 840k miles. I also have a 14 promaster, it gets about 24 mpg but has spent many months in the shop. Most issues are related to that automated robot transmission.

The place I haul for has no age restriction on the van, I dont see how some of these companies could just dismiss you for having a earlier van if the condition is still nice. The early vans have less issues as there is no emissions equipment to go bad. Of course there are plenty of rust bucket junky looking van on the road and I understand not wanting to hire one of them in a fleet, it just looks unprofessional.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have a nice 2007 170 sprinter that needs a new motor. the quote for a new engine is $11,060.00 a core charge of $2,400 and labor to install $2,537.50 I would love to be able to afford it as a 07 is a good size and no def. It was getting about 21 mpg and ran for 840k miles. I also have a 14 promaster, it gets about 24 mpg but has spent many months in the shop. Most issues are related to that automated robot transmission.

The place I haul for has no age restriction on the van, I dont see how some of these companies could just dismiss you for having a earlier van if the condition is still nice. The early vans have less issues as there is no emissions equipment to go bad. Of course there are plenty of rust bucket junky looking van on the road and I understand not wanting to hire one of them in a fleet, it just looks unprofessional.

The 07 was a bad apple safe to go ahead and retire that one!

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only problem with that is it limits the companies you can drive for.
Yea I've been talking to a lot of guys where this is the case.. pretty ridiculous to expect a guy to make these huge van payments and the pay is not rising. Something's not right with this business right now.

Reactions: guido4475 and xiggi

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My promaster is back in the shop. This time its ball joints and cv axle problems. Aftermarket parts wont fit, need genuine mopar. Shop ordered parts this Tuesday, special order. I asked why they cant be overnighted instead of next Wednesday. I was told it cost too much. I am paying for it, let me decide what cost too much. Not having my van all of this week and most or all of next week is saving me money how? And the repair estimate is about $3750
The title of this thread is so true " The newer unreliable vans"