The new Sprinter – Setting standards in quality

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All this bickering over whether something is expensive or not and no real discussion of what does it cost per mile. This is ugly. This isn't ugly, that's ugly. Well, this replacement cost debate is the same, it all depends on the bottom line of the spreadsheet. That's the only thing that matters. It may possibly get ugly since some people aren't good at setting aside for future expenses but otherwise it's just part of doing business.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For a lot of guys that Promaster will be appealing due to the extra few inches of width at bed height. It will make the difference between sleeping straight across with or without bent knees.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That's just false, your completely ignoring everything I posted when you first brought the repair up. Your attempting to use one experience as gospel gaurenteed to happen.

Everyone makes an educated choice on what works for them and that's a good thing. But to try to convince others against something using less than complete info is not the right or fair thing to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Yep. Now ask him how many front end rebuilds he's done!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this bickering over whether something is expensive or not and no real discussion of what does it cost per mile. This is ugly. This isn't ugly, that's ugly. Well, this replacement cost debate is the same, it all depends on the bottom line of the spreadsheet. That's the only thing that matters. It may possibly get ugly since some people aren't good at setting aside for future expenses but otherwise it's just part of doing business.

That is why I just touched on income Leo...I am NOT a numbers guy...I just know my yearly expenses kind of....I don't add up fuel and oil changes or fluids...because I don't need too unless asked by the IRS because I use the mileage deduction....I've not done any brakes for over 3 yrs now...and maybe 6 yrs ago had 1 ball joint replaced...go figure...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember when the Volvo's hit the market in 1997 or 98 they were considered butt ugly by other drivers that had Pete's, Kenworths and Freightliners, now they look good to a bunch of those same drivers. Therefore, PM's are like the Volvo's of their day.

For some here, having compatition for the Sprinter is a good thing in the long run, since it will bring down the costs of used Sprinters. I could be wrong, since Pete"s are still high dollar in the resale market compared to other brands

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
This Sprinter discussion is very interesting. It is a rational debate about expediting vans that is using the Sprinter as the norm or benchmark against which other vans are judged.

It is a "watershed" discussion where the main debate is not comparing Ford diesel vs Chevy 350 engines and the newcomer Sprinter van. Instead it accepts the Sprinter as a time and work tested expediting vehicle.

I suspect this debate over the now industry accepted large capacity van will rage on for years to come, pitting the Sprinter against all new"big box" challengers.

The discussion will also continue over a "mean and lean" or a "comfortable" approach to expediting in a van.

I say great, let the debate continue, it's good for expediting that's for sure!

Just my opinion, stay safe

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I choose comfort over lean and mean. I certainly prefer the sprinter of the ford E-series but I by no means think it's a bad platform. Look at all of em on the road it obviously is doing something right. When it's time for a new van because either are Sprinter gave out or the ford dies I know I'll certainly be doing lots research on which platform will be the replace. But at this very moment a 170ext sprinter with the new 4 cylinder engine and a nice sleeper will probably be our choice

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
For me, it's all about the tools in the toolbox. The more tools, the more freight opportunities.

I give 14 feet cargo length plus the other sprinter dims to my carrier.

This year I've had 7 loads that used the 14 feet. From 13'11"x12"x6" to the whole back full to where you couldn't get a piece of paper between the doors and freight. Those 7 loads represented almost $26k of income because of extremely good rates. So while not part of the norm, that amount of income allowed me to take off more time combined with the normal 1 or 2 skid load count income. Best part time job I ever had.

I don't have brand loyalty. At the time, the Sprinter offered the biggest cash box. If another brand offered the same or bigger, I would certainly consider it if and and when the need arises.

Until then, I'm perfectly happy with my Sprinter. Both comfort and maintenance wise. Never had a service failure, not to say it would never happen. I do the service before its needed and replace known parts issues before needed. The rest is up to Murphy.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Having a truck with 4,000 lb capacity & now with an 18' long box, we carried MANY over 3,000 lb loads and never even one over 12' long. The extended Promaster carries far more weight than the $printer, is taller inside, has shorter overall height, and better fuel economy... The $printer @ 19 MPG highway on diesel while the Promaster gets 18 MPG highway on gasoline.

And the Promaster can be repaired competently at thousands of Dodge Ram dealers.

And the Promaster is $6,000 less comparably equiped!!!

However, the $printer has a prettier front end...

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
If I was in the market I would certainly look at it. I'd like to see what happens to the mpg under full payload. Probably not to bad. Like I said, I don't have brand loyalty or gas vs diesel preferance. Wife and I have 2 years and 26 days till retirement. So this will be my last vehicle, hopefully, if bambi doesn't take it out.

For me, I start at the box size then the economics. I consider a vehicle a disposable piece of equipment. When depreciation runs out, time for a new one. Not interested in trying to get a million miles out of one. But that's my preference. Not for everyone.

I really haven't had an issue getting quality service. I've learned where the good ones are as well as the bad east of the Mississippi. When I do go west, if I absolutely need service, the KC and Pheonix have been good to me. I usually time my off time with service intervals so when I leave, I'm good to go.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having a truck with 4,000 lb capacity & now with an 18' long box, we carried MANY over 3,000 lb loads and never even one over 12' long. The extended Promaster carries far more weight than the $printer, is taller inside, has shorter overall height, and better fuel economy... The $printer @ 19 MPG highway on diesel while the Promaster gets 18 MPG highway on gasoline.

And the Promaster can be repaired competently at thousands of Dodge Ram dealers.

And the Promaster is $6,000 less comparably equiped!!!

However, the $printer has a prettier front end...

How does anyoneone know yet about repairs? Its the door opening that matters most not inside height from what I have heard that's 69 pm 72 sprinter. Has anyone seen real world mileage yet? Are you saying a pm deisel is 6 grand cheaper? It is also still shorter at its longest length.

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of the specs I have read about the pm but still waiting for real use data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'd consider a sprinter cutaway, but for this round I purchased a 2009 GMC Savana dual rear wheel cutaway it has the 6.0 and averages around 10 around town which is 100 percent of my driving. I bought it for 9000 with 126k on it....doubt I could find a sprinter cutaway for less than 20k if I could even find a used one. Prom aster is butt ugly and those side windows look terrible

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I'd consider a sprinter cutaway, but for this round I purchased a 2009 GMC Savana dual rear wheel cutaway it has the 6.0 and averages around 10 around town which is 100 percent of my driving. I bought it for 9000 with 126k on it....doubt I could find a sprinter cutaway for less than 20k if I could even find a used one. Prom aster is butt ugly and those side windows look terrible

10mpg would get the savings from purchasing the GMC real quick. Even if the sprinter only got 17mpg that's still a huge improvement

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He said he does 30-60miles daily.
At the high end it'd be 12 gals a week saved. 600 a year. $2400 a year or less saved.
And reduced other costs.
I'd gone GM, too.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
He said he does 30-60miles daily.
At the high end it'd be 12 gals a week saved. 600 a year. $2400 a year or less saved.
And reduced other costs.
I'd gone GM, too.
if I did more miles I would have to rethink my business plan, but the route I have it works for me.