The new Sprinter – Setting standards in quality

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
almost never having to do a bi yearly alignment or ball joints is a blessing....also tire wear is really good....almost 200,000 miles per set....

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
almost never having to do a bi yearly alignment or ball joints is a blessing....also tire wear is really good....almost 200,000 miles per set....

Alignment? What is that? :)
Never had one done on mine yet. Last set of michelin m/s lasted 180k, and they would have gone 20k more easily, but I wanted a new set for the winter.

I am really curious how the front wheel drive in the promaster will work. Will it stay aligned? How about the suspension, cv axles, etc. We will see...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
I love my 2012 Mercedes Sprinter

You will. Until it comes time to spend thousands on a DPF filter. Or a catalytic converter. $6,300.00 for both. Ouch. Just had a friend get his replaced. The mechanic told him 250-270 thousand is the average life expectancy of those so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member

Who does and alignment or ball joints bi yearly? That sounds excessive.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You will. Until it comes time to spend thousands on a DPF filter. Or a catalytic converter. $6,300.00 for both. Ouch. Just had a friend get his replaced. The mechanic told him 250-270 thousand is the average life expectancy of those so far.

But if a part lasts that long, I realize that's a lot of money but when factor in I get loads that a regular cargo van can't take, the fact that it handles the weight better than a regular and gets better fuel economy doesn't that outweigh the extra cost? 250-270k is a lot of miles

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But if a part lasts that long, I realize that's a lot of money but when factor in I get loads that a regular cargo van can't take, the fact that it handles the weight better than a regular and gets better fuel economy doesn't that outweigh the extra cost? 250-270k is a lot of miles
Thing is it is a 2010....fuel mileage is a wash....NOW if one has a pre 07 it can be figured in...

BTW most cargo vans weight wise can carry more weight then a sprinter....

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Thing is it is a 2010....fuel mileage is a wash....NOW if one has a pre 07 it can be figured in...

BTW most cargo vans weight wise can carry more weight then a sprinter....

Weight wise yes the regular vans can carry more weight, BUT my 2012 sprinter can load loads that a regular van couldnt fit in. They both have their pro's and con's but for me since I spend so much time driving the van I'd rather have one that rode and drove the best. Just my opinion

guido4475

Not a Member
Weight wise yes the regular vans can carry more weight, BUT my 2012 sprinter can load loads that a regular van couldnt fit in. They both have their pro's and con's but for me since I spend so much time driving the van I'd rather have one that rode and drove the best. Just my opinion

You're missing the point. There are other alternatives out there that do the same thing a Sprinter can do for a lot less cost of operation.

guido4475

Not a Member

So you are willing to accept spending over 12 grand on 2 wearable parts replaced twice over a 550,000 mile time frame? Not including other maintenance items?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You're missing the point. There are other alternatives out there that do the same thing a Sprinter can do for a lot less cost of operation.

Name one that is on the market? A new ford E-Series or Chevy Express is about 35k new...My Sprinter on the road tax,title and license cost 34k being a leftover 2012 model. Please explain this lower cost when you factor in HOW much better the Sprinter handles than the E-series for example? I know exactly how the E-250 handles I have a 2013 myself.

So you are willing to accept spending over 12 grand on 2 wearable parts replaced twice over a 550,000 mile time frame? Not including other maintenance items?

As stated by others there was other parts involved and theyre aftermarket parts available that can lower the cost. I believe you are blined by your Sprinter Envy Sir

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Actually..no there is not....well only 1 so far....the Cargomaxx.....that can carry double stack up to 6 45x48x35 auto bins.....
But I digress ....every 250K APPROX for the repair is like 2.5 yrs...that is about $2,500$ a year expense......IF your making $100,000 Grand a year....and even allow a mere 10% for PM ...it works out.....There is a lot to consider....like the fact we go thru 1 set of tires compared to you guys 2 sets....the fact we can get 300,000 miles to a set of brakes..hardly never have to do front end work...ya gotta look at the WHOLE earning potential Guido...not just focus on a narrow window....in an isolated framework yes it looks like a big whack....but spread it out over the life of the van it really is a small issue.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Name one that is on the market? A new ford E-Series or Chevy Express is about 35k new...My Sprinter on the road tax,title and license cost 34k being a leftover 2012 model. Please explain this lower cost when you factor in HOW much better the Sprinter handles than the E-series for example? I know exactly how the E-250 handles I have a 2013 myself.

As stated by others there was other parts involved and theyre aftermarket parts available that can lower the cost. I believe you are blined by your Sprinter Envy Sir

Guido only hears of the breakdowns and prices....he really fails to see the whole picture...and he should know better, he is not a rookie....he already knows a van is more profitable for a solo, then a straight...know he needs to go a step further....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 2014 will be a big year for sprinter again....a whole new drive train and body style ..the new 4 cyl engine and BACK to the 24 MPG....now it deserves my looking.....
the 2010's at the 19-21 MPG was the deal breaker for me in MY mind...but at 24-25 back in the game....that 3 mpg pays for a lot of the premium repairs...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's just false, your completely ignoring everything I posted when you first brought the repair up. Your attempting to use one experience as gospel gaurenteed to happen.

Everyone makes an educated choice on what works for them and that's a good thing. But to try to convince others against something using less than complete info is not the right or fair thing to do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's just false, your completely ignoring everything I posted when you first brought the repair up. Your attempting to use one experience as gospel gaurenteed to happen.

Everyone makes an educated choice on what works for them and that's a good thing. But to try to convince others against something using less than complete info is not the right or fair thing to do.

I need a new exhaust system...Dave thinks its expensive...it will be the first time it is replaced....over 800,000 miles and grossed over $1 million dollars....the repair bill looks cheap compared to that number.....I literally now have a Million dollar van...SmileyGreat.gif

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've looked at the ProMaster and the sprinter and the differences come down to wheel base, inside length and price if you look at the ext sprinter. Now price of the Sprinter 14 foot inside is the same price before adding on extras. You can carry more weight with the proMaster but how often does anyone here carry over 2500 pound loads. Now all things being equal the only advantage I can see comes down to between the wheel wells and interior width of 74 inches to 70 inches at the floor, less as you go higher in the Sprinter.

Sprinter 158 and 170

ProMaster 159

Cargo.

Sprinter 14 feet or 15.5 feet

ProMaster 13.3 feet.

Between wheel wells

ProMaster 56inches

Sprinter 53.1 inches

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now before I make any decision for a new vehicle this year I'm going to be marking down every piece of freight in a book length, height, width and weight for the next 6 months and make a decision on which vehicle I'll buy. Ford is out right now till I see if they will have a bigger wheel base then 147 inches max for there vans that aren't cutaways.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've looked at the ProMaster and the sprinter and the differences come down to wheel base, inside length and price if you look at the ext sprinter. Now price of the Sprinter 14 foot inside is the same price before adding on extras. You can carry more weight with the proMaster but how often does anyone here carry over 2500 pound loads. Now all things being equal the only advantage I can see comes down to between the wheel wells and interior width of 74 inches to 70 inches at the floor, less as you go higher in the Sprinter.

Sprinter 158 and 170

ProMaster 159

Cargo.

Sprinter 14 feet or 15.5 feet

ProMaster 13.3 feet.

Between wheel wells

ProMaster 56inches

Sprinter 53.1 inches

You know...the extra weight, height and length can really be a winner when out in BFE...it really can make a difference....and IF you are with a carrier that will double you up from BFE....or places like El Paso or Nogales......it only takes once to make up the extra cash outlay...and when waiting for a load....it sure is nice having 14 feet to walk around in....

Thing is you will never know if you are passed over for heavier loads....since you'll never be offered them...I've run into a hive of heavy and then I'll go a month with never seeing over a 1,000....funny business we do....

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now before I make any decision for a new vehicle this year I'm going to be marking down every piece of freight in a book length, height, width and weight for the next 6 months and make a decision on which vehicle I'll buy. Ford is out right now till I see if they will have a bigger wheel base then 147 inches max for there vans that aren't cutaways.

Do that and you'll wonder why we aren't all driving old school vans:)