The Load Board Is Open!!!

G

If Mickey hauls chickens(which he probably does) why is he looking at this site.

G

This sounds like such a great idea - for profitability of the website! Hmmmm, let's do the math - Say 500 ppl sign up = $17,500/mo which equates to $210,000 a year. If shipper's are permitted to sign up, that number could grow tenfold because the shipping public will be using the website to find the CHEAPEST option on moving their shipment from , say, St Louis to Detroit. Driver's will start bidding against one-another.
I've been in this business long enough - 10 yrs, working in Dispatch, and currently in Sales. Yes, shipper's want a cheap price BUT, BUT, BUT!! When they are faced with a Expedited Shipment they don't have time to fart around with the internet. They want to call a carrier and get an IMMEDIATE answer - whether it be "We can do it" or "We're low on power and can't make your pickup time". If they had 24 hrs notice on an expedite, they would be calling a TL carrier, or put it out on the TL board. I already know of customers who do just that! They will post a "Warm" Expedited load on a TL board to see if they can get someone to bite on it. If no luck, they call an Expedited Carrier directly.
Also, service for the customer will not be what they expect. Communications is such an important factor in this business - I hear it everyday that a customer doesn't like ABCXYZ Expediter because, despite having low price, they don't communicate worth a darn!
Yes, this will be beneficial to the driver who gets sent to remote delivery points. BUT, there is not much expedited freight moving FROM those points (If I get sent to Abilene, I'd be sure that I was heading to El Paso or Dallas to get outbound freight.)
Good Luck to those of you who opt for this, you'll need it!
Subject : The Load Board Is Open!!! Author : The Xpediter Date : 12/2/99 8:54:40 PM