The Game

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Something to keep in mind is the size of the company you're driving for and the marketing plan they have in place. Suppose you're with a smaller company that's trying to expand their customer base and increase their fleet size. The ideal way to do this is for them to develop loyal customers who will pay a decent rate, knowing they can depend on XYZ Expedite to have a truck for them when they need it and get the freight delivered on time. It's critical for new customers to hear the word "yes" the first several times they call your dispatcher for an expedite load - especially if they're used to calling somebody like Panther who has a truck on every street corner. Sometimes it pays to take a crappy load or two knowing that a customer could give your company some major business in the near future if he gets a good first impression. Of course it's up to the dispatcher to let the drivers know the story up front. As usual, it's all about communication.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
He is hands off in the load decision making process. I rarely pizz off the dispatchers anyway. If they're in a tight jam, I'll do some runnin for them. But they also know a bad run when they see it, and usually start out by saying, "I know this is a crappy load..." In my experience, I don't think I've ever been shunned for turning down something. C&M is in business, and knows we are too.

Which is kind of my point, the fleet owner meddling is as much if not a bigger problem as dispatch. I wouldn't want to work for a fleet owner who wants to take it in the *** from a carrier on a losing load with no reason or future considerations.