The FedEx Driver Council

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The FedEx Driver Council

1. Who is on this council? Contractors and drivers? Trucks? Vans?
2. How are they selected? Using what criteria?
3. How does a driver/contractor contact these people?
4. What input to they have with regard to contracts, policy decisions, etc.?
5. How often do they meet?
6. What is their mission? Where can their mission statement be found?

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
McBride:

Your request for information serves as a reminder that once again we should describe the workings of the Contractor Council to eliminate any confusion about what they do.

First off, Bob and I are members of the council and we do not covet that roll, but we are honored to have been selected to share our experiences and knowledge as leased Independent Contractors. The names of the membership are not secret but they are not published to the fleet because too many drivers and owner/operators prefer to seek answers or offer suggestions that are more appropriately discussed with their Contractor Coordinator.

The following was written last year by Terry O'Connell when he was describing the role of the council as he sees it. I hope that it answers any questions that you or our fellow FCC folks may have. Terry says his comments are his alone and have not been a FedEx issued policy statement.

The FedEx Custom Critical (FCC) Contractor Council is comprised of a group of independent owner/operators that hold lease agreements with FCC. The Contractor Council membership has been, in the past, an assemblage of single truck and fleet owners of cargo vans, straight trucks and tractor/trailers who operate in either solo or team mode. Independent Contractors are invited to volunteer for Contractor Council membership by the Management Team within FCC. Members are chosen, not to be representatives of other Owner/Operators, but because they are representative of a cross section of their fellow Independent Contractors. Membership is generally two to three years.

Contractor Council meetings are typically held at the FCC headquarters in Green, Ohio. Meetings are usually held in the spring and fall on dates that are suitable to Council members and the FCC Management Team. FCC personnel in attendance at the Council meetings usually consist of the President, the Director of Operations, the Manager of Safety and Recruiting and other persons appropriate to a meeting’s agenda.

The purpose of the Contractor Council meetings is to review current and future FCC operations, programs, policies and procedures and discuss their impact on the fleet of leased vehicles and their owners and drivers. These informal meetings are a free exchange of ideas where Council members are urged to speak candidly about their relationship with FCC and to present issues that would lend to the improvement of the Contractor, Customer and Carrier business environment. The members will periodically be asked to test, evaluate and critique products and procedures being considered by FCC.

Contractor Council meetings are informal in structure and attendees are attired in a business casual manner. Council members are afforded an opportunity to conduct their own meeting, for the purpose of agenda development of issues that are of a concern to the fleet.

This meeting is usually held and chaired by Contractor Council Owner/Operators during the afternoon or evening before the scheduled FCC Council meeting.

Last edited:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you for relaying Terry’s explanation of the Council. Your post has definitely answered some questions and concerns I have had about several issues. Everything is much clearer to me now.

The only questions I have left are who chose you to be on this council, how many members comprise the body, and do council members have a formal time that they ask other contractors/drivers for their input?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Terry is a much better writer then I am or could ever even hope to be and he can really convey a message or thought where I usually just mess it up.

The council membership I believe is around 12 members. We do not represent other members of the fleet we are only typical owner and operators of a typical truck in the fleet.

We are chosen by and approved for membership by any number of the members of the FCC leadership team. You can get to be known many ways including attending truck shows, the meet and greets during truck driver appreciation events, by attending FCC sponsored events at the office, by attending 4-Star and I am sure a Contractor Coordinator could recommend you. I personally do not think you are chosen for being a yes man as you would be a waste of time for a company that is interested in always becoming better. I also do not think you would be chosen if all you did was complain and have no positive feedback on what is going right.

There are no formal times for meetings or discussions as all of us are out here every day meeting and talking with other drivers. We each in our way try to listen to other drivers and we are all constantly trying to learn and listen to what can help make FCC a better company to be contracted to. As Terry said a lot of the small complaints need to be discussed with a Contract Coordinator as there just is not time in the meetings to get everything accomplished. We always have to remember FCC runs FCC we are just a council and as such can offer suggestions and we are also in some instances their sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

Many of the items we discuss in our meetings are not for us to discuss with other drivers as we leave that up to FCC to make the announcements of their plans or they could just scrap all of what we discussed. The council is not a paid position and so can be at times a hardship as you are out of service and not on a load.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter

Terry is a much better writer then I am or could ever even hope to be and he can really convey a message or thought where I usually just mess it up.

The council membership I believe is around 12 members. We do not represent other members of the fleet we are only typical owner and operators of a typical truck in the fleet.

We are chosen by and approved for membership by any number of the members of the FCC leadership team. You can get to be known many ways including attending truck shows, the meet and greets during truck driver appreciation events, by attending FCC sponsored events at the office, by attending 4-Star and I am sure a Contractor Coordinator could recommend you. I personally do not think you are chosen for being a yes man as you would be a waste of time for a company that is interested in always becoming better. I also do not think you would be chosen if all you did was complain and have no positive feedback on what is going right.

There are no formal times for meetings or discussions as all of us are out here every day meeting and talking with other drivers. We each in our way try to listen to other drivers and we are all constantly trying to learn and listen to what can help make FCC a better company to be contracted to. As Terry said a lot of the small complaints need to be discussed with a Contract Coordinator as there just is not time in the meetings to get everything accomplished. We always have to remember FCC runs FCC we are just a council and as such can offer suggestions and we are also in some instances their sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

Many of the items we discuss in our meetings are not for us to discuss with other drivers as we leave that up to FCC to make the announcements of their plans or they could just scrap all of what we discussed. The council is not a paid position and so can be at times a hardship as you are out of service and not on a load.

Just what does the contractor council do for the contractor? You sit around and talk about things you can’t discuss with us contractors, that don’t sound like a good thing for us contractors to me. You need to be “chosen” by the company “leadership team”, after they get to know you at special events, most of which are put on by the company, or by “dropping by Green”. What about us contractors that have to actually drive our trucks to make a living, and can’t afford to attend most of the events, nor be able to just “drop” by company headquarters? It seems like a whole lot of brown nosing is involved in the getting “chosen” process.

You say the council members are not yes men/women. To me it seems just the opposite. I think the leadership team needs to get to know the prospective council members to choose who will best suite FedEx. I would gladly sit on the contractor council, if asked. I don’t have time to do a lot of visiting at Green, or attending events, because I need to keep the wheels on my truck rolling to make money. I would however make the time to attend all council meetings.

I think that if FedEx wanted a true cross section of contractors they should send the leadership team to the truck stops, and interview contractors there. Maybe they could also ride along with a few of us working contractors. They could see what real contractors do, not the contractors with the mega sleepers, who think they are on vacation and taking loads for the fun of it. How about the non White Glove contractors who have White Glove trucks and equipment, who do White Glove loads? I know if I had a truck spec’d as a White Glove unit, with a very large sleeper, I couldn’t afford to take surface expedite loads, due to the lower rates. I believe these are the “phantom” White Glove units, known only to FedEx. But most of us White Glove contractors know who they are, I think you do to.

You can’t talk about what you talk about at the council meetings, but you do talk about things that would be of some concern to us contractors. Maybe you talk about new systems, new qualcom configurations, and/or procedures that might be implemented. You listen to all kinds of changes FedEx might bring up, or might want your input about. I can understand that some things should be kept within the council members only, but not everything. You might not realize it, but you are representing all us contractors. You are the company’s guinea pigs, they are throwing this stuff out there to see your reaction.

You are on the council, but don’t know how many members there are on the council. I’m sorry, but if I were on the council, I would know every single members first and last name.

Why can’t we contractors know the names of the council members? Do you think we will try to influence them to maybe bring up some concerns we contractors have? I know I would rather talk to a fellow contractor, who knows and understands what we do every day, than a CC or a CR, who has never been on the road. I would think FedEx would encourage us contractors to talk to council members, and vice versa.

I’m going to go off subject for a minute. I have always wondered why FedEx did away with their outside recruiters. Does anyone know why they did this? I sure don’t. I also believe that most, if not all the recruiters now have no trucking experience, just a diploma hanging on a wall. I can get a diploma right know from a university for a fee of $250. The diploma will be a BA in Business Management. I am entitled to said diploma, and degree, based on my life experience in operating a business. So much for the value of diplomas. I say bring back outside recruiters. They were great people, who knew what they were doing.

Back on subject. Let’s see, we contractors don’t need to know the council members names. We don’t need to know what is talked about. Council members are “chosen” by the company. Yup, sounds like company men/women to me, in contractor’s clothes. Come on; tell us contractors who the members are. I think we deserve that much.

How about we do this, let the contractors vote on who sits on the “contractor’s council”. Wouldn’t that benefit us contractors a little better? You said there was not enough time to discuss everything. Why not? Isn’t that what you are there for? I would think a true contractor council would be interested in bringing up stuff like trying to raise freight rates for us. I would like to see the council make an effort to let us contractors get 100% of the rate for detention time, we are doing the waiting, not the company. I would also like the council to address the company about giving us 100% of the labor rate, we are doing the labor, not the company.

From what you have posted in the last two posts, it seems you are a secret society, chosen by the company to discuss things we don’t need to know, by members whose names we need not know. I’m not clear on the part about representing contractors, do you or do you not represent us. If not what is your purpose? We contractors sure don’t need you, at least in my humble opinion. It kind of seems to me like its all smoke and mirrors.

I do think there should be a contractor council, but not one picked by the company, no matter what company or industry it is. I believe a contractor council should support the contractor’s interest. I think you said that that was not the council’s purpose, please explain a little more clearly what your purpose is.

Believe me, I truly am 100% for FedEx. They have always been fair with us, always addressed issues we’ve had, have always been honest with us. We like the people we have met when we needed to be at company headquarters. I have no personal issues with FedEx. I enjoy being contracted with them. I understand FedEx is a business, just as I am a business. We both need to make money to survive. My wife and I have done well with FedEx. We plan on being with FedEx for a long time to come, unless they read this and gets really upset over this, and kicks us out. We have a one year old TVAL unit that was very expensive to have built, and need FedEx to keep us, so we can pay for it. I think FedEx knows this a forum we use as a sounding board. I just put to paper what pops into my feeble mind. I just thought your explanation of the contractor council was not clear. You should at least know how many members are on the council, being a member yourself.

I would serve on the council if asked. I am unable to cozy up to the persons who choose the members, or go to all the events, as I said earlier. I have a business to run, and my truck needs to move for me to earn income. Also as I said earlier, if chosen, I would serve.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One thing that we O/O's will all agree on is the none of us agrees with every policy or procedure put out by FCC. We each want more money, more miles, less deadhead, less downtime, fewer random drug tests, do you not think that FCC and every company out here does not know this?

You say you'd rather talk to a Council member than your CC or CR contact. That is precisely the reason other members and I prefer that our names not be a matter of public record. I shudder to think of the number of calls we each would get if the 2000, or so, drivers each wanted to talk with us only once a month. Council members are not in the FedEx Custom Critical Chain-of-Command, nor should they be there as we do not set policy.

Attendance at Council meetings varies from meeting to meeting. Sometimes as few as six or as many as 14, typically 12. We do know every person’s name, truck size, area of location where they live and also a little about them but who knows there could be new members at the next meeting.

Perhaps one of the reasons that FCC thinks we are typical contractors is because we do not denigrate owners with smaller sleepers, super sleepers or people with carrier qualifications that differ from ours. For the record, Bob and I have taken the time to obtain all of the necessary qualification to haul many of the WG loads, but, believe it or not, we only get WG offers after the WG trucks refused the load or were not available for the load. We are WG qualified people but, because we adhere to all of the WG policies, we have reported our dog Molly in the truck and that alone keeps us from having the WG classification. Perhaps the phantom WG trucks about which you refer are those that carry unreported animals in their trucks as I do not know of any Phantom WG Trucks.

100% for FedEx. They have always been fair with us, always addressed issues we’ve had, have always been honest with us. We like the people we have met when we needed to be at company headquarters. I have no personal issues with FedEx. I enjoy being contracted with them. I understand FedEx is a business, just as I am a business. We both need to make money to survive. My wife and I have done well with FedEx..."

Why don’t you consider the possibility that many of the policies that you find to be favorable, are a result of input from the Contractor Council. You seem to just want to argue with everything that I say which to me is another reason it would benefit you to go straight to the company with your questions.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
One thing that we O/O's will all agree on is the none of us agrees with every policy or procedure put out by FCC. We each want more money, more miles, less deadhead, less downtime, fewer random drug tests, do you not think that FCC and every company out here does not know this?

You say you'd rather talk to a Council member than your CC or CR contact. That is precisely the reason other members and I prefer that our names not be a matter of public record. I shudder to think of the number of calls we each would get if the 2000, or so, drivers each wanted to talk with us only once a month. Council members are not in the FedEx Custom Critical Chain-of-Command, nor should they be there as we do not set policy.

Attendance at Council meetings varies from meeting to meeting. Sometimes as few as six or as many as 14, typically 12. We do know every person’s name, truck size, area of location where they live and also a little about them but who knows there could be new members at the next meeting.

Perhaps one of the reasons that FCC thinks we are typical contractors is because we do not denigrate owners with smaller sleepers, super sleepers or people with carrier qualifications that differ from ours. For the record, Bob and I have taken the time to obtain all of the necessary qualification to haul many of the WG loads, but, believe it or not, we only get WG offers after the WG trucks refused the load or were not available for the load. We are WG qualified people but, because we adhere to all of the WG policies, we have reported our dog Molly in the truck and that alone keeps us from having the WG classification. Perhaps the phantom WG trucks about which you refer are those that carry unreported animals in their trucks as I do not know of any Phantom WG Trucks.

100% for FedEx. They have always been fair with us, always addressed issues we’ve had, have always been honest with us. We like the people we have met when we needed to be at company headquarters. I have no personal issues with FedEx. I enjoy being contracted with them. I understand FedEx is a business, just as I am a business. We both need to make money to survive. My wife and I have done well with FedEx..."

Why don’t you consider the possibility that many of the policies that you find to be favorable, are a result of input from the Contractor Council. You seem to just want to argue with everything that I say which to me is another reason it would benefit you to go straight to the company with your questions.

I agree that all us O/O's are different and have unique goals and are in this business for a multitude of reasons. And yes we are all in it fot the money also. It would be pretty boring if we were all clones. Truck drivers just seem to agree to disagree, its kind of a way of life.

I would think that the council members would seek out contractors and welcome contractors to call them with ideas on how to make life easier for them, and other issues. I would think it would be a part of being a council member. And I really would rather talk to a council member, they are on the road like we are and understand our needs. I personally think that having contact with council members would be a good thing for all concerned. I also think it would be part of being on the council.

I disagree with you just for the sake of disagreeing. I have nothing personal against you. I think that if we met we would get along just fine. I'm kind of like an opposing voice, sticking my two cents in. It makes some threads a little more animated.

We all do what we must to make a living in these hard economic times. Maybe you could bring up FedEx's policy on pets in WG at a council meeting. that way you could get in WG. I know Panther allows pets in their elite services division. It might be a good thing if FedEx changes their policy.

I don't know if any of the input from the council meetings has resulted in favorable resultes for us contractors, everything seems to be a secret at the meetings.

As I stated above, I believe part of being on the council would and should be keeping in touch with contractors and to invite them to call council members. If I was on the council I would post my second cell phone number, I do have two and my wife has one, so contactors could call me, day or night. Back in the day of outside recruiters, our recruiter use to give our number to prospective FedEx contractors. We had an agreement, which was that we would tell the truth in all questions asked. I did not get any pay for doing this, I just liked to help these prospective contractors understand the business a little better. I would get calls night and day, and I truly enjoyed talking to these people. I wish FedEx had a mentoring program, I would volunteer to become a mentor.

I do believe that FedEx is the best carrier out there, and we are very happy being with them. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do. I don't believe its necessary to run to your CC or CR all the time. Most times a call to dispatch clears up any issues we have, as most issues have to do with loads we are on.

I also do believe that FedEx needs to send more people out in the field to visit with more contractors. I thnik that would be a big plus for the carrier and contractor alike.

Just to make your day a little more enjoyable, I will close for now, but do promise to disagree with you in the future. I just like to do it, its fun, at least for me.

Last edited:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

You say you'd rather talk to a Council member than your CC or CR contact. That is precisely the reason other members and I prefer that our names not be a matter of public record. I shudder to think of the number of calls we each would get if the 2000, or so, drivers each wanted to talk with us only once a month. Council members are not in the FedEx Custom Critical Chain-of-Command, nor should they be there as we do not set policy. Attendance at Council meetings varies from meeting to meeting. Sometimes as few as six or as many as 14, typically 12. We do know every person’s name, truck size, area of location where they live and also a little about them but who knows there could be new members at the next meeting.

As I read it, the Council is not a true council in the literal sense. It is comprised of contractors that were hand picked by the:

1. FedEx Leadership team---a group of people I personally am not familiar with
2. FedEx personnel at meet and greets---which many of us can not, or do not, attend
3. FedEx personnel at Four Star---which many of us will never attend
4. FedEx personnel at special events at FedEx offices---which many of us can not, or do not, attend

It is not comprised of contractors that, we, the contractors choose to represent our interests…it is comprised of contractors that FedEx chose to represent our interests.

As I understand it, the FedEx Driver Council has no formal written mission statement, no formal written agendas, no formal voting procedures, no formal terms of service and no formal election process. The Council does not have a published membership list, does not invite or allow input from other FedEx contractors and it is not known by other contractors exactly how many people are on the Council. In addition, the Council is not allowed to discuss much, if any, of what occurs at these meetings with other FedEx contractors.

If this an accurate assessment of what the FedEx Driver’s Council is, then in MY opinion, it should not be named the FedEx Driver’s Council. In my opinion, the definition of a council implies a distinct or formal body….a body, which the members freely associate with the members they represent as equals for a mutually beneficial purpose and there is almost always an explicit goal of mutual support.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
As I read it, the Council is not a true council in the literal sense. It is comprised of contractors that were hand picked by the:

1. FedEx Leadership team---a group of people I personally am not familiar with
2. FedEx personnel at meet and greets---which many of us can not, or do not, attend
3. FedEx personnel at Four Star---which many of us will never attend
4. FedEx personnel at special events at FedEx offices---which many of us can not, or do not, attend

It is not comprised of contractors that, we, the contractors choose to represent our interests…it is comprised of contractors that FedEx chose to represent our interests.

As I understand it, the FedEx Driver Council has no formal written mission statement, no formal written agendas, no formal voting procedures, no formal terms of service and no formal election process. The Council does not have a published membership list, does not invite or allow input from other FedEx contractors and it is not known by other contractors exactly how many people are on the Council. In addition, the Council is not allowed to discuss much, if any, of what occurs at these meetings with other FedEx contractors.

If this an accurate assessment of what the FedEx Driver’s Council is, then in MY opinion, it should not be named the FedEx Driver’s Council. In my opinion, the definition of a council implies a distinct or formal body….a body, which the members freely associate with the members they represent as equals for a mutually beneficial purpose and there is almost always an explicit goal of mutual support.

You are 100% right. What we have is a contractor council picked by the carrier. I believe the reason the council even exists is to give us contractors a warm fuzzy feeling, meant to infer that fedEx is looking out for our interest.

A council who can't even let the contractors know their names, is not a contractor council. It is a company council, who permits hand picked contractors to sit in. The council has no teeth and is a paper tiger. A council in name only, they do nothing for us contractors on the road.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting reading. A few points if I may:

1. I think changing the name from Contractor Council to something that more accurately describes the body is an outstanding idea. It would relieve members of the heat that comes when other contractors misunderstand the body. It would help contractors better invest their emotional energy by better understanding the body they have feelings about. A lot of criticism the council takes comes because contractors think the council is something it is not. A name change can do a lot to solve that problem.

2. I caution against making the assumption that dispatchers, coordinators and managers do not know what it is like out here. A good number of them do. They have been on ride-alongs. They talk to drivers every day of the week and every week of the year. And they talk to a heck-of-a-lot more drivers than drivers do in that same time period. They know more about what drivers are saying than many drivers do because they talk to more drivers than drivers do.

3. For a number of reasons, most of them good, people at the office are very careful about what they say and don't say to contractors. But if you get friendly with them and work yourself into a trusted moment, every once in a while, one of them will drop their guard and speak frankly, instead of professionally like the legal department is listening in. In those moments, it is crystal clear to me that these folks know exactly what is going on out here and why. There are things they would love to say and do if they could, but they do not enjoy the freedom independent contractors do, so they bite their tongues.

4. As much as owner-operators out here want to be respected and understood by the corporate critters in there, corporate critters in there want to be respected and understood by owner-operators out here. The problem is, our jobs, why we have them, and the way we do them are radically different; so misunderstands are easy to come by.

5. Maybe that's why the office executives choose to have the council. It gives them a safe place to discuss company and industry issues with contractors they trust and hand-picked for that reason. That is, trusted to keep their mouth shut when pending or sensitive matters (including proprietary company information competitors should not know) are being discussed. Goodness knows what happens when something official is announced. The engine roars, the rumor mill shifts into high gear and the fuel is free. The company cannot afford to let contractors inside that would take sensitive information outside and use it to entertain their dinner guests.

6. Another way people in the office come to understand what is going on out here is by the stream of contractors and prospective contractors that come through the building every business day. We have all seen them; they range from good-looking people with shined shoes and full FedEx uniform to unwashed, unshaved slobs that smell bad and have to be told to not smoke inside. The people in the office talk to them all.

I don't get to the office often, but never once have I been there without seeing drivers and office people talking - sometimes at the security desk, sometimes in the waiting area, sometimes in an office cube, sometimes in a conference room, sometimes in the training room, sometimes in the cafeteria. Dozens of times a week, perhaps hundreds of times a month, and perhaps more than that, office people and drivers are talking face to face.

7. Diane and I invest little time or energy in understanding the council or its purpose. If we have something we want the company to know, we contact the appropriate person in the company and say it directly. We don't need or want a council to represent us. We can speak for ourselves. With the openness office people have shown for our input, talking to a council member would be a needless step.

8. Yes, there is a contractor council of some sort that does something or other every now and then. And that's about all it means to us. So what if there is a council or not? Whether there is or isn't, I don't see how our business would change much.

Just gives us decent-paying freight to haul and we are happy. Council or no council, we are pleased and proud to be FedEx Custom Critcal contractors who can be counted on to hold up our end when the office people make our Qualcomm unit beep. If we want to be known for anything at FedEx, it is to be known as reliable contractors who serve customers well. The insiders and insider wannabees can have all the fun they want in the office. Our joy is found on the road.

Last edited:

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting reading. A few points if I may:

1. I think changing the name from Contractor Council to something that more accurately describes the body is an outstanding idea. It would relieve members of the heat that comes when other contractors misunderstand the body. It would help contractors better invest their emotional energy by better understanding the body they have feelings about. A lot of criticism the council takes comes because contractors think the council is something it is not. A name change can do a lot to solve that problem.

2. I caution against making the assumption that dispatchers, coordinators and managers do not know what it is like out here. A good number of them do. They have been on ride-alongs. They talk to drivers every day of the week and every week of the year. And they talk to a heck-of-a-lot more drivers than drivers do in that same time period. They know more about what drivers are saying than many drivers do because they talk to more drivers than drivers do.

3. For a number of reasons, most of them good, people at the office are very careful about what they say and don't say to contractors. But if you get friendly with them and work yourself into a trusted moment, every once in a while, one of them will drop their guard and speak frankly, instead of professionally like the legal department is listening in. In those moments, it is crystal clear to me that these folks know exactly what is going on out here and why. There are things they would love to say and do if they could, but they do not enjoy the freedom independent contractors do, so they bite their tongues.

4. As much as owner-operators out here want to be respected and understood by the corporate critters in there, corporate critters in there want to be respected and understood by owner-operators out here. The problem is, our jobs, why we have them, and the way we do them are radically different; so misunderstands are easy to come by.

5. Maybe that's why the office executives choose to have the council. It gives them a safe place to discuss company and industry issues with contractors they trust and hand-picked for that reason. That is, trusted to keep their mouth shut when pending or sensitive matters (including proprietary company information competitors should not know) are being discussed. Goodness knows what happens when something official is announced. The contractor rumor mill kicks into high gear and the fuel is free.

6. Another way people in the office come to understand what is going on out here is by the stream of contractors and prospective contractors that come through the building every business day. We have all seen them; they range from good-looking people with shined shoes and in full FedEx uniform to unwashed, unshaved slobs that smell bad and have to be told to not smoke inside.

I don't get to the office often, but never once have I been there without seeing drivers and office people talking - sometimes at the security desk, sometimes in the waiting area, sometimes in an office cube, sometimes in a conference room, sometimes in the training room, sometimes in the cafeteria. Dozens of times a week, perhaps hundreds of times a month, and perhaps more than that, office people and drivers are talking face to face.

7. Diane and I invest little time or energy in understanding the council or its purpose. If we have something we want the company to know, we contact the appropriate person in the company and say it directly. We don't need or want a council to represent us. We can speak for ourselves. With the openness office people have shown for our input, talking to a council member would be a needless step.

8. Yes, there is a contractor council of some sort that does something or other every now and then. And that's about all it means to us. So what if there is a council or not? Whether there is or isn't, I don't see how our business would change much.

Just gives us decent-paying freight to haul and we are happy. Council or no council, we are pleased and proud to be FedEx Custom Critcal contractors who can be counted on to hold up our end when the office people make our Qualcomm unit beep. If we want to be known for anything at FedEx, it is to be known as reliable contractors who serve customers well. The insiders can have all the fun they want in the office. Our joy is found on the road.

I have nothing but respect for the people in Green, OH. We have been treated very well whenever we are there. We work well with the dispatchers we talk to on a daily basis. I don't have one bad word to say about anyone at headquarters, We find them all to be good people.

We also are pleased and proud to be contractors for FedEx CC. I hope to be with them for many years to come.

We are small business owners and our goal is to make a profit, we do that quite well with FedEx.

There is a big rumor mill within all companies, we pay no attention to such things. We have always been treated fairly by FedEx and we have treated FedEx fairly. Heck, we need each other, them as carriers us as contractors.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
The Driver council from what I understand was a concept of a former company president. Its just a test market for management to communicate with like mentioned before, with a sample of contractors, and a sample voice of contractors to express their concerns.

Council members are not their to represent the fleet in any official manner.

When I had an issue with the number of miles a single driver can run, I wrote a letter directly to #2 in the company Jason Frederick. he called me directly, twice in fact to bring up my suggestions and even they were turned down twice, it was
a effeciant way to voice my opinion directly to the decision makers at management.

I've never put much weight to the council since they are not meant to be my representative.