The "Fallback" Occupation

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
aefce0a1-5431-f44c.jpg

In July, Jeffman164, a landscape architect and installer, informed me my dated landscape (started by the original owners in 1970), should probably "go". I was advised to "hold on to my zsazsas"

aefce0a1-54b5-b902.jpg

Okay, I have now let go of my zsazsas...I never did figure out what those were, but they sound pretty darned important. It took a total of 3 days to do this, total tear out, reconfigure the retaining wall blocks, and replant new.

Great work by Jeffman164!
"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks good, I started my revamping in June-decided to wait till fall to finish-I live in Fl. been dry here, most of what I planted is so sad looking now-MEDIC !! glad I didn't spend anymore monies on plantings.will start over when it cools down. good job

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
When he said "we" were going to do a total tearout, I about fainted. One yew was painstakenly brought back from the brink of death, the arborvitae had to be hacked back from the walkway and reshaped (some idjit attempted to 'terrace cut' them, it took SEVEN years to get them normal). There was some serious attachment between those old plantings and me.

Some of the flowers live on, Jeff took some to his property where they will be allowed to grow wild in the woods.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If memory serves, [a big 'if'!], zsazsas are foliage plants with opposing pairs of narrow leaves [like ferns], valued for their neat & compact growth.
I think the hardest part of leaving the home I shared with the ex for almost 20 years was the plants I'd put so much time and work into - I moved a lot to my sister's, and enjoy seeing them thrive in a happy home.
It does look much better in the second photo, cleaner and more restful. :)

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
The hard part would be leaving this house, but a freshened exterior will make it less painful, because it doesn't look exactly the same as when my late husband and I bought it.

Whatever the real definition, I sincerely doubt Jeff had that in mind when he told me to hang onto them, LOL