The Driver

Missie600

Active Expediter
Last week we were in the Boondocks cafe/diner in northern Iowa. A fellow driver sat near us and struck up a conversation. He was an older man. Tall with a scruffy long beard. He had hair growing out the end of his nose and his hands were grease stained.

I must admit that normally I would shy away from a man that had this appearance. But I truly liked this guy from the beginning. He had a soft voice and reminded me of someone. Later it came to me. Remember the old man in the movie "Home Alone"? The neighbor that the boy was afraid of but later befriended? (this is where I need Ragman's assistance).

He asked us about our job with FDCC and he told us a little about his flatbed work. He lives in Canada and was headed to Texas. We talked about how it is hard out on the road when you have to miss family events, etc. He told me about when he was a younger man he had a local job where he could be home every evening. His daughter wouldn't take her evening bottle from anyone but him. As he told this story a tear slowly ran down his cheek. This memory meant a lot to this man.

He told us that he could have gone to work at the factory like his brother, but he wanted to drive a truck. His brother is now retired with a pension that is more than his truckdriving pay. I felt like he had some regrets but had come to terms with it.

I guess we all have those feelings. Just depends on the day.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Remember the old man in the movie "Home Alone"? The neighbor that the boy was afraid of but later befriended?

8250833_448x252.jpg
Creepy Neighbor from 'Home Alone' -- Dead at 87 | TMZ.com

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Last week we were in the Boondocks cafe/diner in northern Iowa. A fellow driver sat near us and struck up a conversation. He was an older man. Tall with a scruffy long beard. He had hair growing out the end of his nose and his hands were grease stained.

I must admit that normally I would shy away from a man that had this appearance. But I truly liked this guy from the beginning. He had a soft voice and reminded me of someone. Later it came to me. Remember the old man in the movie "Home Alone"? The neighbor that the boy was afraid of but later befriended? (this is where I need Ragman's assistance).

He asked us about our job with FDCC and he told us a little about his flatbed work. He lives in Canada and was headed to Texas. We talked about how it is hard out on the road when you have to miss family events, etc. He told me about when he was a younger man he had a local job where he could be home every evening. His daughter wouldn't take her evening bottle from anyone but him. As he told this story a tear slowly ran down his cheek. This memory meant a lot to this man.

He told us that he could have gone to work at the factory like his brother, but he wanted to drive a truck. His brother is now retired with a pension that is more than his truckdriving pay. I felt like he had some regrets but had come to terms with it.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

guido4475

Not a Member

Each and every day I think about getting out of this business. The slow period does not help as well.But, I know in reality I cannot for another 2 years, until child support is paid off. But when it is, there will be some deep decisions being made.Not too long ago, my high school sweetheart and I have begun talking again.30 years later we are both single, and planning on making a go of it, but not until I am able to get rid of some financial baggage.It's the home life I miss-the simple things.Going bowling with friends-sitting in front of the campfire with friends and family, as well as neighbors. This job isn't all that bad, the freedom, the things we see, the people we meet along the way, and the things we learn.