The Driver Shortage

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For a good laugh or insult if you need work call some of these brokers and hear what they expect an OTR next day skid to move for. I will B.S. you not, Monday I had one broker call for a run pick in Buffalo NY to JFK, 1 4x8 skid, 5,000lbs, high value, hot $75.00 to the truck. I said you gotta be kidding me and told them loose my number.

I shudder to think what they would have offered for "cool" freight

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't deal with them, but I've heard that some brokers like to ignore the expedited time frame and just keep telling you that "it's a partial!!"

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone heard that shippers are unable to get their freight picked up and delivered in the desired time frame? If not, it would seem there are enough drivers and trucks.

In the past 10 years the driver/truck/load pools have become much more available because of computers. Drivers have accees to loads they would never have known were availble a few years ago. Same goes for brokers finding trucks. Today it takes less trucks to deliver more loads because of computers and cell phones.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
For a good laugh or insult if you need work call some of these brokers and hear what they expect an OTR next day skid to move for. I will B.S. you not, Monday I had one broker call for a run pick in Buffalo NY to JFK, 1 4x8 skid, 5,000lbs, high value, hot $75.00 to the truck. I said you gotta be kidding me and told them loose my number.

I shudder to think what they would have offered for "cool" freight
That pallet just wan't hot "enough"... "yet". That is an LTL mindset. That $75 is probably a good rate for an LTL pallet. Once they realize that they are going to miss that flight...and money becomes less of an object...then they will hire an expediter and get it there at regardless of cost.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
" Overdrama Momma Syndrome" is permeating the country and not just in shipping/driver shortage horsecheese virus. Weather people that bring us the weather think we have never seen snow, or floods, or blown down trees. Why a fool stands in the middle of an in-rushing ocean or out in the open in 60 mph winds is beyond me. Don't we have Hollywood to show us better make believe storms nowadays? So on that note: Look what plastic surgeons can do;
Now your talking weather baby...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For L.T.L. freight thats about right and I thought I was being fair at $1300.00 .

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You were fair... and if that freight was actually hot, he would have paid it.

Makes you wonder what the broker priced it at to the actual customer. Phone calls are cheap, and you only need to find one sucker to hit a home run

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As i say I will turn down an opportunity to work just to pay for somone elses freight bill.
Im sure there was a 4'Wx8'Lx7'H. and 5,000 lbs spot available on some jet late Monday and a pized off customer not having that machine part Tuesday A.M.
Bob Wolf

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As i say I will turn down an opportunity to work just to pay for somone elses freight bill.
Im sure there was a 4'Wx8'Lx7'H. and 5,000 lbs spot available on some jet late Monday and a pized off customer not having that machine part Tuesday A.M.
Bob Wolf

We would all be alot better off if more people understood that "Busy" and "Working" are not the same thing. Work implies doing something productive