The Current State of Expediting

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve been reading some interesting posts on various threads about Expediting and Driving in general. Posts of people that have driven for years talking about pay and the effects of our economy on expedite.

Just wanted to put those thoughts all together with the state of driving.

I started 2 years ago, short time of experience, and it’s obvious to me how changing from log books to e-logs had made it more dangerous on the road. I used to set my cruise to 67-68mph, and I’d be passing a lot of trucks going 63-65mph, throttled on the company trucks. Those days are long over. Now when I’m cruising 67-68, even Swift trucks are blowing my doors off going 75mph down the road. It’s scary how many truckers are driving like pissed off teenagers. This is a change even I’ve seen in my short time driving.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

dalscott

Expert Expediter
I did the I75 tango a while back. Just driving a shade under 65 mph in the right hand lane and got rear ended by a car going much faster and "distracted". Hit me just right that it knocked me in a ditch and my van rolled over 4 times. Luckily, I landed on my wheels, while wearing a seatbelt. Not a scratch.

Oh wow! Bet that wasn’t fun. Really glad you came through it ok.

Reactions: muttly

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My loads are set at 47mph, but I didn’t think I was pushing the van at 68mph. I average at the 20mpg range.

Whatever the speed limit is, I keep it 1 or 2 below that, unless the speed limit is above 70, I never go over 68ish mph.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m definitely sold on being a 65mph guy. My motor is running smooth and easy, and traffic is a lot easier to handle. Instead of someone matching my speed at 68/69 and having to accelerate or decelerate from that point, it’s actually quite easy to speed up the few mph to 68/69 where I’m still not pushing the van hard, give plenty of room, and get back to my speed.

A lot of pluses when only losing 3-4 mph