Mechanical The best fluid for the Allison transmission

JOHN MCMURRAY

New Recruit
Mechanic
I am a shop owner in Hendersonville NC and I recently purchased a Hino 258lp rollback tow truck. The truck has been well serviced but when it is cold it has a funky shift almost a slip when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I want to service it and change the filters and fluid but I am not sure which fluid to go with.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The fluid should meet Allison TES-295 specifications.
My shop uses bp Autran Syn 295.
bp_autransyn295_709732_1gal.jpg

Be aware that there are deep and shallow transmission pans (you most likely have a deep pan, but who knows) and there are two different internal filters out there. A short filter in a deep pan will fall off, and cause a bunch of weird codes as the thing sucks in air.

There's a donut-shaped magnet that sits on top of the spin-on filter. This often is unnoticed and is thrown away during filter changes. Make sure the magnet exists.

If you drop the pan and change the internal filter and the spin-on filter, you'll need about three gallons of fluid.

If the ABS light is on, the torque converter will not go into lockup and it'll shift weird and then overheat. Fix any abs problems immediately.

Reactions: Turtle

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last truck had an Allison. I used TranSynd exclusively for 900,000 miles. Not cheap, but no issues.
Edit : Got it from various W.W. Williams shops