the art of sitting still

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Ok folks, I've been at this about 6 months and I need some advice on how to handle the idle time. I start going bonkers after 24 to 48 hours and head toward the house. I'm a solo for FECC. Am I just in the wrong business for me or will it get better. Also, I don't have an APU. Any reccomendations and how vital is it to have one.

Thanks

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I start going bonkers
>after 24 to 48 hours and head toward the house. I'm a solo
>for FECC. Am I just in the wrong business for me or will it
>get better. Also, I don't have an APU. Any reccomendations
>and how vital is it to have one.

Hiya,

We all have different criteria. I'm no longer on the road but mine was basically if they didn't get me anything in the last 12 hours, there was nothing to make me think that anything would come around in the next 12 hours. I tip my hat to ya, and anyone for that matter, who can hang out in a van for that long.

As for will it get better that's one of the great unknowns. As a rule this industry has ups & downs. It's without a doubt a lifestyle choice as much as a job. I don't know what your priorities are to determine whether you're in the wrong business or not. I can totally feel for ya in that if ya have a $400 run & ya sit for 2 days afterwards it sure doesn't seem like much.

I can sense you're in the doubting stage. No matter your decision I hope things turn out well for ya.

Take care,
Danny

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Sitting and waiting - it is tough and it is part of this field we selected to get in.

Now, that doesn't make it easier me just saying that, but, it is part of the job requirement at times.

But, make some changes here and there. Don't take every run - hell if that run takes you from a good freight line into Turdball, Arkansas then don't take it!

I think the one key factor is - Businessman first, driver a distant second.

Hey, if a trip does not have some form of a postive influence on your bottom line then it ain't worth taking. Now that does not mean turn down all those so-called short runs, but make a list for yourself on what would qualify as a run to take - we all have are own qualifiers.

It it takes me to a good frieght route - I take it.
If it gets me out of some far out distant route and CLOSER to a better route - I take it.
If it is a short run with little money I ASK for more - sometimes you will get it other times you don't but ASK!
So on and so on..........

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sitting and waiting is one of the toughest things to get use to.

Try to find a hobby. Try one and if you do not like it look for another. Try to be frugile about the investment to do your hobby in case it does not work out.

It always seemed once I got involved in something to pass the time the QC would go off.

It is tough being a Solo in this business if you like to be around people and enjoy a fast pace life style. Patience is a very big part of expedite. Doing alot of deadheading in a D unit will drive you into the poorhouse.

With the new idling laws and the price of fuel an APU is a good idea. But in your situation I would ask myself do I want to continue in this business? If yes Can I learn the freight lanes that benefit Solos? Can I find something to do when sitting? Do I see myself still driving in 2 years. An APU is a good size investment and would not be wise if you think I can only take this lifestyle for 6 months to a year longer.

Good Luck.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Have a TV, DVD player? PS2? Computer? Like computer games?
Game stop has used games and DVD’s for sale my collection of DVD’s are starting to weight too much going to have to thin it out.
APU? Oh yeah have had some troubles with it but don’t know what I did with out and I got a written warning in NY 2 years ago that means next time I got caught idling my truck it would be the big bucks! A BBQ grill if you have a fridge save you money and eat better and gives you some thing to do to break the same ole same ole.
Its suppose to be the busy season though shouldn’t be a lot of down time but seems to be this year.

Hope that helps good luck!
Alvin

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
All good ideas. Throw your bike in back, I even know guys with scooters or big bikes they tote. My single best idle killer has been sat tv. Can be done real cheap with dish on mirror mount and if you have direct tv @ home, simply add a second box for about $6.00/mo.
I spent $6800 for my apu,but a generator in a storage box will provide 110ac for a $15.00 wal-mart space heater. My friend recently put a portable a/c unit in his trk. His generator ran it fine and kept him cool for a fraction of the cost of idling and a lot less money than apu. Plus you can move whole setup to different veh.
Try and get out of the trk as much as possible. Time spent staring out the window sucks. Don't know who you work for or dispatch system or if you have one. I have never been to much more than a half hour away from my trk and still able to get back for load offers. Good luck and enjoy each day as though it's your last. Some day you will be right:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey Lanier... I jumped your truck the other day in Blacksburg. How's it goin? Glad to see you here, and hope you become a regular!

Well... to answer your question, I mess around on the puter alot. I also have a playstation2. I set up a George Foreman grill to cook up steaks, so that takes a bit of time, and saves money. When in the South, I try to hit battlefields. If you're a history buff, there's tons to take in - anywhere you go, you'll find a museum of some sort. Of course, once you plan it, you'll get a run. ;)

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
My solution. I added so much chrome that evberytime i stop, there's plenty of polishing to be done. In all seriousness, double check all your paperwork, inspect the truck, make sure the log is updated. When that's done, a good book, the internet, video games, crossword puzzles, anything you can keep on board without taking up too much space. Or, just sleep. I do that alot.....

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Learn the 4X market!! It pays 24/6!! 2am starts GBP/USD pairs moving average 100-200 pips alone X $10.00 per pip

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a good used book store near home so I stock up when I'm home. There's the EO forum. Ham radio is a great hobby with new friends you haven't met yet pretty much anywhere you go. Short wave listening can also be interesting. Join Truckerbuddy and use off time to write to your class. There are lots of things you can do that don't make you broke a quarter at a time. Good luck finding the ones that best suit you.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
ENGLISH or slow?
4 X-- market do a google search and maybe you can see the light!

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I some how have a feeling you might be sorry you asked that BB Bob sounds like a MLM promo coming our way or its stock market but don’t sound like any of my stocks or wait maybe money trading? Only speculating here not poking fun at any one! Sure they will tell us when they get back on or leave us burning up brain cells trying to figure it out! LOL

Alvin
Sitting back relaxing :)

yaaintdeadyet

Expert Expediter
Even the response to the 4 X.,., GBP/USD.,,.,100-200 pips.,.,WTF was cryptic, convoluted and cofrontational. Now there's a hobby to practice!

tazman

Expert Expediter
I think he is talking about the Forex or commodity futures (you know pork bellies, orange juice, sugar etc.) market...

If catch a late night infomercial...you may pick up a few "buzzwords" too....

He probably just came back from the seminar.....all "juiced up" (ha! Ha!)

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

lgrunner

Seasoned Expediter
I googled it...appears to be foreign currency trading. This is from one website:

The foreign currency market (known as the FOREX) is the largest financial market in the world. Every day over $1.9 trillion dollars in currency are traded thru the spot foreign exchange market. Until recently, large international banks dominated this market only allowing access via telephone trading to a select few major corporations, large funds and high net worth individuals. This little known, underexposed, foreign exchange currency market can now be traded online and is available to the general public. Individual investors now have the opportunity to trade the largest, most liquid financial market in the world and have the financial edge that has been traded by major institutions for years.

I think you could spend free time selling your unwanted items on Ebay.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
e-bay? or flea markets?
I'll run some numbers
oct. 4 pound/usd cost $1.8903
oct. 12 it was at $1.8518 difference of 385 pips (price interest point) 100 to 1 ratio on standard account (your $1,000-controls $100,000 on market) pays $3,850.00!!
It isn't easy-but I don't stare out the window anymore! pound moves up and down 100-200 pips daily alone!! Banks use your money-smile at your deposit-they ALL make theirs here!! WHY? 1.9 trillion pays daily-got laptop? like e-bay pays-- lol