Thanks for the memories, Ladies and Gentlemen! Out of a job!

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
It has been a real pleasure talking with all you people, but unfortunatley, we had a bad situation with our van owner and we are now out of a job! We lasted a year so I don't think that's too bad. We had a LOT of fun and got to see the US and see things we never thought we'd EVER see.
Can't get a job unless it's under someone else's EIN because of measley pension, so if anyone needs a good H/W team experienced in expediting with excellent references from On-Dekk, EQS Logistics, and Ambassador Expediting, just give me a PM. I have a CDL class A, excellent driving record with NO accidents or DUI in 37 years of driving. I know that sounds like an expedited load of BS, but it's true and verifiable. I hate to have to do it this way, but as you know, this industry is just TOO unstable to give up my pension because any time job can disappear, so I have to do what I have to do.
Thanks for reading this and thanks for all your help from the past year.
Jumbuck

Last edited by a moderator:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What kind of pension requires you to give it up if you find other work? I'm not understanding why your or someone else's EIN number would matter.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's a very old Teamster rule that they didn't want you working "in the industry" and collecting a pension. The idea was to open jobs up to other people.
Avoids double-dipping so to say.
Using someone else's EIN seems like a poor solution.
A job in another field of work seems better if this is his problem.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
There's a very old Teamster rule that they didn't want you working "in the industry" and collecting a pension. The idea was to open jobs up to other people.
Avoids double-dipping so to say.
Using someone else's EIN seems like a poor solution.
A job in another field of work seems better if this is his problem.

You are absolutley right, Zorry! It is the Teamster's pension you we are talking about. But can anyone live on 878.00 a month? And, trucking is ALL I've EVER done! I know nothing else! Besides here in Flint, MI where I subsist, THERE ARE NO OTHER JOBS! So,I again, am seeking to work for a living, not to double dip, as it appears. But...I get penalized for trying to work for a living, so, again, "cooking the income' seems the only solution. After all, our beloved Government has NO problem with shall we say, "creative income sources!" I know I am treading on thin ice here, but I just want to do what I do best! Drive for a living! Thanks again. Jumbuck

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are absolutley right, Zorry! It is the Teamster's pension you we are talking about. But can anyone live on 878.00 a month? And, trucking is ALL I've EVER done! I know nothing else! Besides here in Flint, MI where I subsist, THERE ARE NO OTHER JOBS! So,I again, am seeking to work for a living, not to double dip, as it appears. But...I get penalized for trying to work for a living, so, again, "cooking the income' seems the only solution. After all, our beloved Government has NO problem with shall we say, "creative income sources!" I know I am treading on thin ice here, but I just want to do what I do best! Drive for a living! Thanks again. Jumbuck

Couldn't you just have the paycheck in your wifes name?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Paycheck in wife's name ? Wouldn't that open up employer to a little liability ?
If his wife,or another relative if single,bought a van, then the checks would go to "wife trucking" or whatever.
Re-check the rules on the pension. They may have loosened up since you retired.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paycheck in wife's name ? Wouldn't that open up employer to a little liability ?
If his wife,or another relative if single,bought a van, then the checks would go to "wife trucking" or whatever.
Re-check the rules on the pension. They may have loosened up since you retired.

Not really..she could be a team driver....go thru orientation and all....and he drive solo...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why don't you just get your own EIN? It is nothing more than a questionnaire you fill out online for free at the IRS website. Then you become an independent contractor for your own business.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
How would the pension administrator know?
Do you have to provide them with a tax return?

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
As a tractor fleet owner, and with your qualifications, there are many companies around S.E. Michigan that could hook you up with an owner in whatever kind of truck you wanted to drive...

piattteam

Active Expediter
I think the "Industry" rule from the Teamster Pension only refers to Teamster jobs. Call the hall. They should be able to help ya.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
What he's saying is pretty much true. I lived in Flint until last year. After I lost my job in 2009, I applied (or at least contacted) maybe 3-400 different companies over about a 2 year period. I can't tell ya exactly how many that things were going well with until they found out where I lived. It was a lot though. Then it became "we can't use ya if you live up there." Or "we'll hire you, but we don't have much work up that way."

I tried a few companies while living up there. It was tough. I have another lil business and between the 2 of em I managed, but was far from thriving. The rate of pay on the business is awesome, but I wasn't getting a ton of work.

Anyway, a simple move from Flint to Royal Oak pretty much solved any issues I had. The company I'm w/ (who I was also w/ when I was in Flint) told me to get down in this area & things would be a lot better. They were absolutely right. Most of the weeks living down here exceed what I made in most months when I lived up there.

Location is so important. I'm not saying it can't be done from a remote location. I realize people from SD, Alpena, Florida, etc are doing well. They're also staying out for longer chunks of time than most people can do.

To Jumbuck, I'm not sure if you have a way to get down closer to Detroit. If you do, a lot of your challenges could be solved. Maybe rent a room in a house somewhere. Live down here during the week and go back home on weekends. I'm not sure what the solution for the EIN aspect of it is, but I'd think something could be worked out w/ someone you know.

If you can drive a bigger truck (straight or 18 wheeler) ya may want to look into our company. The thing is, you'd have to be down in this area to make anything.

If you have any Q's, feel free to PM me.

Good luck,
Danny

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I cannot believe that the difference between Flint and Royal Oak can make one bit of difference in expediting. In local deliveries, sure, but not in expediting. If you go where the freight takes you, then it doesn't matter where you live. If you have to go home a lot, you don't need to be in expediting in the first place.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, you're correct. My bad on the response. I'm a local driver. I more noticed the similarities in that we both lived in Flint. I saw that "there are no other jobs" comment & was like "wow, I've been there."

He might not need to move to find a good situation for him. Then again, he's stated there are no other jobs. If he looks until he's convinced that he won't find anything, maybe a move down here would be helpful.

At the expense of sounding like a recruiter, and I promise I'm not, I'm simply an O/O. Our company offers local & OTR. Some guys like local, a few have a quasi dedicated to Laredo, a few like OTR, others like to mix it up. Hopefully I can help the original poster some. He seems like he's in a bind.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Seems to me like the best situation would be to get out of the employee mentality, forget about getting an Employer ID Number (EIN), and just buy a van and go to work. As a sole proprietor in an unregulated vehicle you're out of the industry and out of the cross-hairs of the Teamsters, anyway. If you need to have the van in someone else's name and be an independent contractor for them, fine, you or they don't need an EIN for that, either.

Wild Child

Seasoned Expediter
I generally don't get to involved in these issues but this is one I could not resist. For openers I am a retired Teamster and have been drawing dual pensions for 11 years now from the Western states Conference and the Central states Conference that you are a member of. I am also retired from the Operating Engineers Local out of Los Angeles.

The ONLY time you are penalized by the teamsters is if you work in "covered" employment. That means the job would have to be a dues paying position that retirement pay is held out of your check. Even at that, I am allowed to work 80 covered hours per month without penalty. Working beyond the 80 hour rule would classify you as "full time" employee and therefore not eligible for a pension payment. You can work for anyone doing anything as long as it is NOT covered employment. You can work for any trucking company you wish as long as they are not signatory to a Teamster contract. Plain and simple!

I am a fleet owner and I do not require an EIN number for any of my drivers. Their pay is reported to the IRS on a form 1099 Report of Miscellanous Income. So I think maybe someone gave you some very bad information somewhere along the line.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I generally don't get to involved in these issues but this is one I could not resist. For openers I am a retired Teamster and have been drawing dual pensions for 11 years now from the Western states Conference and the Central states Conference that you are a member of. I am also retired from the Operating Engineers Local out of Los Angeles.

The ONLY time you are penalized by the teamsters is if you work in "covered" employment. That means the job would have to be a dues paying position that retirement pay is held out of your check. Even at that, I am allowed to work 80 covered hours per month without penalty. Working beyond the 80 hour rule would classify you as "full time" employee and therefore not eligible for a pension payment. You can work for anyone doing anything as long as it is NOT covered employment. You can work for any trucking company you wish as long as they are not signatory to a Teamster contract. Plain and simple!

I am a fleet owner and I do not require an EIN number for any of my drivers. Their pay is reported to the IRS on a form 1099 Report of Miscellanous Income. So I think maybe someone gave you some very bad information somewhere along the line.
Thanks for responding to my situation, everyone, but I would like you all to read something and tell me if you read the same thing I do in this. This is from the Central States Pension Booklet. It says: Prohibited Reemployment after retirement: If you are receiving a pension, you'll be in Prohibited Reemployment IF you perform ANY of the following: (The KEY word here is ANY) 1. Employment in any position, including a managerial or surpervisory position, with any employer that makes contributions to your pension plan. This is the part you are referring to, but read on, please. 2. Employment with ANY employer in any positon covered by a Teamster collective bargaining agreement; OR 3. This is the one that puts me dead in the water...Employment in ANY position IN WHICH YOU EARNED ANY CONTRIBUTORY CREDIT with your pension plan! Now expediting IS trucking and trucking is the industry that I received my pension from, so do you read the same thing I am reading? While it is true it does say employment by any trucking company that is covered with a Teamsters contract, but it goes a little further and to me it says any INDUSTRY and trucking is my industry. Do you agree, I would REALLY appreciate you telling me how YOU do it! Thanks SO much. Jumbuck