Thanks everyone

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Thought I should update everyone on things around here. Hubby had cancer surgery Oct. 2nd. The results were not good. 52 lymph nodes removed from the left side of his neck, 50 were positive for melanoma. They have now said they think it has already spread. He was to start chemo this past week but the insurance company was not happy about the fact that it was $3000 for 20 pills! Needless to say, with the trips to Wisc, (8 I think), it has been an expensive venture. And on a fixed income, without doubt, I will be back on the road by the first of Dec. I have offers from recruiters here and I also have an offer from OIX out of KC. The money will be the deciding factor on which way to go. I really don't want to go back to pulling a 53' but if it pays more I won't really have a choice. I could use some advice on this matter. I understand that when you drive for a fleet owner the driver pays for the fuel? Then I assume the driver also gets 100% of the f/s? I've been an O/O in the past so I know how it works for big truck and understand there are a few different rules for expedite. Any help with understanding the income aspect would be greatly appreciated. Be safe, be happy. Carol

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Carol, first, I'd like to say that the whole EO community will be keeping your hubby in our thoughts and prayers. Please don't ever forget that life is full of surprises, and some are GOOD ones.
All I can say about the income aspects is that there are as many 'rules' as there are owners. It is a general practice for the driver to pay for fuel, but I would expect a written agreement to forward 100% of the fuel surcharge to the driver. An owner who won't agree to that would be suspect, in my book. Get everything in writing, and have a lawyer check it for you before you sign, is the best advice - and good luck, till your next good surprise.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I wish you well out there Ladytrucker, as for the question try PM to Dave he has more knowledge than most of us .

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I can't offer any advice in regards to what avenue to take in trucking as I have only experienced expediting and only 2.5 years at that. But I can offer my most sincere thoughts and well wishes. Remember a positive attitude is a proven factor in healing. Keep us posted.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
US Xpress has good equipment and excellent pay, they will also help you find a team driver from your area if interested. But just make sure insurance is the same so they will cover the now pre exesting condition.In the last 28 years since I lost my mother to cancer and now just last year my 22yr. old son I have found that they are coming up with new stuff every day to save lives in the fight against cancer.I also was lucky enough to meet alot of strong survivers. My son did not have good odds when they found his but we all never gave up,he tried all the experiamentl stuff and smiled through it all, good luck and just tell your husband as my son useto say LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG
Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Redbird Girl for your kind words.My sister is retired now but drove for USXpress for many years. She started there before they were US.I teamed with her there for 30 days. Had to leave the company I was with in order for an O/O of the same company to hire me. Company policy was I had to be gone 90 days but he told them if he didn't get a co-driver he was done so they let me come back after 30. I found them to be the most disorganized company I have ever seen.Their fueling policy would test the patience of Job. The Volvo we had I fell in love with and if I could buy a truck, that might be it but to put up with all their downfalls is not worth a nice ride. Since my last post, my hubby sprung a surprise on me. He talked to Transport America and he is still in the system. He asked if he could come back to work for 20 days at a time, then come home for 5 days to take his chemo pills. They said no problem. His oncologist asked him if he felt like going to work and he said yes. We have an appt today so we will get more info. I already talked to OIX and have an app. I can have a decent health plan for myself and a 401K. Hubby already has 2 health plans so I won't have to get one on him. At the present I have none and a fallen bladder that needs fixed. OIX also does not have a problem with the fact that I have been off a year. Orientation is just over a day and they have plenty of freight. A very good friend of mine works for them and she is averaging 3400 a week. Thats good miles now a days. I worry about being off this long because another friend fell at a customer a year ago and they had to replace her elbow that night. It was shattered in a million pieces. Dart told her the whole year she was off they would rehire her but when she got her release they said she was a safety risk and could not be rehired. She has 8 years experience and most companies she talked to wanted to send her out with a trainer. I know how most companies have trainers with hardly any experience and I don't care to be retrained by some rookie and neither did she. She signed on at a small company that is not interested in legalities, just run. OIX wants you to run as legal as possible. I do get a letter from USXpress every couple of months but would never consider them. I hate this indecision and waiting but guess theres nothing else I can do. Right now we both have to stay here for bandage changes on his back. We're almost done with that, then somebody is going to work. Hopefully me, I'm anxiuos to get started on that 401 and getting some health insurance. Sorry for going on and on. Thanks for listening. So sorry you have had to go thru this too. It must be the the most awful thing to see your child go thru it.Have a great holiday and please be safe.