Canada Thank you Canada

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
As many already know, Ike did major damage, not only in Texas but far to the north also. In Ohio we had over one million people without power due to the high winds that came in last Sunday. Many other States were affected but I only have first hand experiance in central Ohio.

To make matters worse, all of our extra lineman and equipment was already either in Texas or on the way there. I was very lucky as my power was only out for about 48 hours, but in that time I got an entirely different perspective about what it was like to have no lights, no phone, no internet. I now know why the pioneers went to bed with the chickens.

I have noticed for the past several days that there was many line trucks from Ok. and wondred why their trucks wasn't also in Texas. Today, I got a closer look at the tags on the trucks and they weren't from Ok. they were from our very good friends up north.

Before someone says, "Yes and they are being well paid for their time here," and I agree they probably are, but I just want to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Thanks Canada

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just down in Texas and seen many a hydro truck from as far away as New Jersey....I know South Dakota sent some as well....Yes..they are well paid ...they aren't free.
But it's nice to know that many have given up thier family time to be far from home to help others in need.:)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'm running a bucket truck to Channel View, Tx over the weekend. Seems someone needs one more. Hope there is some fuel. Have been experiencing a number of fuel stops out of fuel across TN and AL. None of the Loves had any in the southern part of TN earlier today.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario Hydro has a long history of "helping out" when needed. They also provide the services for minimal cost (kinda like parts no labor). Likewise, after the big ice storm in 98 there were a lot of US trucks up here. Guess the power co's get along pretty well!!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like us here in Southeast Arkansas after Gustav. All of our trucks were in LA so some trucks and crews came in from North Carolina to get the power back on. Some friends of mine that live in dorms on campus were out of power for 4 days. They were coming over to the house to take hot showers. There was power in the cafeteria so they still had something to eat. It was crazy.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That 98 Ice Storm was as bad as any Storm. After the ice tempratures never got above 5or 10F for 2 months. Everytime they repaired a line a little wind would just knock another tree down onto the lines.

Its one thing to be without in Sept in the South but to be without heat for not weeks but months. And the damage was not even apparant until after the thaw.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
As many already know, Ike did major damage, not only in Texas but far to the north also. In Ohio we had over one million people without power due to the high winds that came in last Sunday. Many other States were affected but I only have first hand experiance in central Ohio.

To make matters worse, all of our extra lineman and equipment was already either in Texas or on the way there. I was very lucky as my power was only out for about 48 hours, but in that time I got an entirely different perspective about what it was like to have no lights, no phone, no internet. I now know why the pioneers went to bed with the chickens.

I have noticed for the past several days that there was many line trucks from Ok. and wondred why their trucks wasn't also in Texas. Today, I got a closer look at the tags on the trucks and they weren't from Ok. they were from our very good friends up north.

Before someone says, "Yes and they are being well paid for their time here," and I agree they probably are, but I just want to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Thanks Canada

Anytime I've lost power due to a hurricane down in FL, it was not unheard of to be without it for 2 to 4 days. My parents live in Tampa and were surprised to lose power under hurricane Jean. Surprised because Jean was nothing compared to Charlie and Francis that had come earlier that year. Everything was basically hanging together by a thread by the time Jean came through, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.