Thank you all for your time

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I have read all the newbie faq. I have read about six months of the other newbie forum.
I have begun to get to know some of you a little, and have had a lot of questions I have answered by reading.

I just want to say thanks, and I continue in my quest to be prepared for expediting.

Does anyone know which vehicle I should buy, who to lease on with, and the winning lottery numbers for next week?

Just kidding!!!

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
When I was deciding to become a expediters like you I read the archives and current posts and asked a slew of questions on and offline.

The suggestion I continually heard was to drive for a fleet owner or O/O for a year or there about learning the tricks of the trade using their investment before making the decision to buy a truck.

Following their suggestions I drove for 2 O/O’s for 9 months then decided to buy a used truck. Before buying this truck I asked numerous questions of many EO O/O and fleet owners as well as reading posts. After feeling fairly confident on my decision I bought my first truck.

Without the aid of EO resources I would have made some poor business decisions.

Good Luck!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
The drive for someone else part is the hardest advice for me to follow. Not that my plan is set in stone. I thought maybe doing a cargo van on my own would be a way of testing the waters, and I know I could use the van if expediting is not for me.

My biggest desire is to start with no payments. Of course that may not be my best course of action.

I have until Feb 22 to make up my mind. I do know how to take a bath with baby wipes.
I do know what it is like to wait two days for a load. If only that was all I needed to know. :)

10 yrs OTR, CDL A Haven't driven a TT for six years.

Dave

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
“My biggest desire is to start with no payments.”

If that is a major issue then driving for another will enable you the opportunity to test the waters of expediting also save the money needed to purchase your first truck/van with no payments.

Sounds like a win win situation to me.

Good Luck!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Actually I already have the money to buy a new van. Not enough to buy an expediter class eight though

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought maybe doing a cargo van on my own would be a way of testing the waters, and I know I could use the van if expediting is not for me.
That's exactly how I started in the biz. I drove that van over 8 years, much longer than I thought I would. I just had "commitment issues" regarding the big investment. Would I do it differently with the advantage of hindsight? I'm really not sure. I am glad that I never had to deal with a d***head owner, and we know there are MANY out there. I do know having this forum would have been an advantage.

I guess this little bit of blah, blah won't help you a whole lot, but that's the Cliff Notes version of my story anyway. Good luck!