Temperatue Control Units

tazman

Expert Expediter
Talking with another poster on the board....

He is looking at getting a temp control box for hauling critical loads...

I have built reefer units for my customers all in the food/beverage business.....however I understand that most expediting units are not hauling anything like that....( chemicals...ammo...etc..is normal ??)

So here my questions are:

1. What type of climate control is generally required ( i.e. temp ranges 40-70 0-80 ???)

2. What type/thickness of insulation on the box would I spec ??

3. What type of reefer is needed and will it be mounted on the box or underneath ?????

4. Flooring (hi-hat or diamond plate)

5. Interior Wall construction ????

Anybody that has a unit or had one built can you advise ????

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Well here goes, temp range should be 0 to 80 degrees. The floor material is a wooden insulated floor, no aluminum or steel. Wall thickness and ceiling insulation is usually the responsibility of the box builder. Interior walls will be kemply just like any other reefer. Floor,ceiling, and back door are the big thermal loosers. Underbelly reefer units are a bit more service friendly than front overhead units. The downside is the amount of dirt and debris you put your unit thru. Most box builders can make all your recommendations that you need to worry about. I recommend always to the extreme side of insulation material and construction. Good luck.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Thanks Glen,

I'm talking with Morgan as of this note...I think I can handle the wall specs......

Wood floor seems a bit different (would it not loose heat as well)
Perhaps sealing it with something would help ( I guess !!!) Make cleaning easier too...

Frank

"The Beast in the East"

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Interesting... BTW, the "poster" has a post up on the "newbies" board, in an effort to gain more info on it. thanks, and yes, interested into why the choice would be wood versus metal of some kind. Perhaps the wood is a better insulator than the metal floor, thats my thinking, am I wrong?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FDXCC requires a wooden floor so that blocking on explosive loads can be nailed into the floor. However many A/E facilities will not load explosives into a reefer unit,or if they do they require the fuel line to the reefer unit disconnected and the unit run until it stops.
This is to prevent possible ignition sparking cooking the load and next comes BOOM.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Again, it sounds like more aggravation than it is worth.
You are correct, many places won't load a reefer truck because of this.
Davekc

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok, interesting, thank you... what happens though if the nail sparks when the hammer strikes it? Smile!

Sorry for late reply, been runnin' alot, Carolina's, FL, GA, and more DC and NYC coming up soon. Bob

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They don't use hammers and nails but use pnuematic or air operated nail guns. Absolut bitc- to remove afer the delivery. It also screws up your floor.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Rich is correct.
These floors seldom last past 4 years.
Replacement depending on the box size is roughly $3,000
It is a major expense to have a box refloored.
Very labor intensive with project completion in 1 to 2 weeks.
Depending on circumstances, one must figure lost revenue for that downtime as well.
Another reason why it is hard to capture your investment back on these.
If buying used, don't forget to really look at the floor as it may need repaired or replaced.
Davekc
owner
20 years

pitchman

Expert Expediter
>Rich is correct.
>These floors seldom last past 4 years.
>Replacement depending on the box size is roughly $3,000
>It is a major expense to have a box refloored.
>Very labor intensive with project completion in 1 to 2
>weeks.
>Depending on circumstances, one must figure lost revenue for
>that downtime as well.
>Another reason why it is hard to capture your investment
>back on these.
>If buying used, don't forget to really look at the floor as
>it may need repaired or replaced.
>Davekc
>owner
>20 years

I've always wondered why they just didn't put grooves in the floor to allow for 2X4's to be slid in and out for easy replacement. (uh.... or do they? <grin>) Simple, easy and a lot less than 3k to replace. You don't need the entire floor to be wood to secure your load. (I'm sure these types of floors exist, to much of a no brainer not to design them this way.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Steel and aluminum floors are that way, but you can't haul hazmat with these floors unless the load is on pallets. 55 gallon drums ect are in many instances, not on pallets.
Davekc