TEAMS IN VANS?

G

Say it ain' so. (lol) ; But I know that it is and Im curious as my wife has a class C CDL . I have seen ads looking for husband and wife teams for vans out of tennesee and talked with them breifly. They had some how gotten queen sized beds in their vans that fold up for 2 full pallets of freight with a partial bed for the other to sleep in. Anyone doing this please respond and let me know how this is working out for you, if teams in vans get longer runs and how many miles your getting and for what companies. ( I have visions of camping in campgrounds all over the USA when I dont have a weekend run) Have a good day MikeG

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Terry and Rene are the best ones to respond,but I guess they have left the building.
Many years ago my SO and I explored teaming in a van.I was told (by a dispatcher) it would be a bad idea.

We decided to get a "C"unit instead.Easy to handle,Lots of freight,
(the most requested size in expediting I am told).We have not been sorry.The 84"sleeper is just great.

My purpose here is not nto discourage you.Terry and Rene have done very well."B"unit teams can legally run 50%longer runs than solo drivers.Although vans dont have to log(except when carring HAXMAT)most companies will not dispatch beyond this for safety reasons.

I hope the setup you describe allows the occasional ability to carry a little more cargo than two skids.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Don and Carol

G

Thanks redytrk for you reply and info. did you have a dock high C truck or the cube van. My wife has a classC CDL so she could drive a class C truck with out upgrading her liscense as long as it didnt have air brakes. this leades to another question, can you have a class c CDL with an air brakes endorsement on it if you take the driving test in this kind of truck? have a good day MikeG

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Terry is back in the building...Just got home this AM and have finished my chores, so here I am.

MikeG: Jeff Jensen had written about our van awhile back; here's the link:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_001518.html

Mike, don't confuse the A, B, C's of license category with the expediter truck category of A, B, C, D, E. a class C CDL will allow Mini-van (A) or cargo van (B) operation. A class B CDL will allow you to drive a small (C) or large (D) straight truck. a class A CDL is required for a Tractor/Trailer (E).

Many of us are relatively comfortable in a cargo van and many of us earn a fair amount of dollars in that van, but...there's always a but...you would be best served by first determining your financial requirements and selecting a truck size and carrier to fit your needs.

Your timing coincides nicely with with the oncoming Mid-America truck show 31 march-2 april at Louisville. Come see us and every expedite interest on display. You'll learn everything you need there.

www.TRUCKINGSHOW.com

Terry

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Thanks redytrk for you reply and info. did you have a dock
>high C truck or the cube van.
...A.We are dock high.
My wife has a classC CDL so
>she could drive a class C truck with out upgrading her
>liscense as long as it didnt have air brakes.
...A.Correct
this leades to
>another question, can you have a class c CDL with an air
>brakes endorsement on it if you take the driving test in
>this kind of truck? have a good day MikeG
...A.Yes
P.S.Our carrier (FECC)will not sign a cube van,due to the dock high requirements.

G

Thanks to all for your reply and info . Enjoyed the link to your van page Terry and rene. The reason I brought up the Class C lisc. is that we were in a dock high truck at one time with Tri-State that was dock high with a 16 ft. box and Alumibunk sleeper but did not have air brakes and was told it was legal for a class C CDL.(less than 26001 GVW). This was like a GMC7500. We also met a couple that worked for FECC that wanted to sell us a FL60 that didnt have air brakes and his wife only had the Class C CDL. Thanks to all and have a good day.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Concerning the class C CDL in a class C expeditor, my wife has a C CDL and has been driving a C unit with GVW 25950 for over 7 years now. We have hydraulic brakes.

We had the same concerns (Re vans or C unit) and opted for the C unit with a full size sleeper. We find most WalMart parking lots are pretty recreational.

Vernon in C2197