teaming up male or female

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
I was talking to a expedite veteran and I was telling him that I think I'm going to team up to make more money, I asked him, in his opinion would he team with male or female? I also asked him to give me pro's and con's. He said, guy's complain more than women. Women are more neater than men. Women never want to smell (always wearing perfume) even before washing teeth. Most men dont care how they smell. He also said, when choosing a driving partner, try not to pay to much to appearance because she might turn out to be the best partner you will ever have. I dont know about you guys but I think that was good advice and it made sence.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Find someone whose personality, habits and work ethic are compatable with yours. Male or female makes no difference unless you're married or don't want to stay married.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Better get some opinions on this . Most teams are husband and wife so the " more money " goes to one household . Teams do not make twice as much as solos . I'm not familiar with anyone running under the circumstances you are considering so I'll let others more qualified respond . Will you be the truck owner ?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The trouble with teaming up with one of the opposite sex is that sooner or later one will start hitting on the other one. If the other sex person is married big time problems from the spouse left behind at home could result.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fedex provides a readily available set of benchmark numbers that are useful for this. The average team makes 1.8x the average solo. If the team is husband and wife teaming can be a good thing. If the team is two separate individuals then it's 90% of what they could have made as a solo. More possible conflicts. More chances for problems. Less money. Yeah, teaming with someone not of the same household sounds too good to pass up.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
LDB, If I understand right, If a solo driver makes $40000 a year, a team thats not a same house hold will make $36000 each.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Based on the numbers from Fedex that is correct. I'm sure that varies somewhat depending on the company, etc. but that's the Fedex averages so I'm sure it's fairly representative of what to expect.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Then you have to figure home time . Different families - different anniversaries , birthdays , graduations , etc. Not always a problem but make sure agreements are made beforehand . How are pay and taxes figured ? If you own the truck and hire a codriver I don't see how you could avoid calling that person an employee . That person would be completely under your control . There is the option of partnership but that calls for real caution .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have run solo,and team.ive run with males and females,i prefer a guy,helps to have a second person when moving heavy freight and inside delivery.
as far as pay,a team truck will make more than a solo,and both drivers in the team truck will make more than a solo,of course there might be a time when the solo for a short period will make as much as a team,but over the year,the team drivers will make more than a solo
when I had my fleet,my drivers made more than solos,and they were both h/w teams and two family teams

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If you own the truck and have been running solo using Leos 1.8 whos gona pay for all those miles and everything that goes along with it? Like WEAR and TEAR plus resale value just to make the Carrier think highly of ya?

If your a fleet owner, this is a BONUS.

I was considering doing this adding a person, until I talked to the most knowledgable person that I know in this industry. Math proved me to be uninformed. Much better off staying solo when one owns ones own truck.

Has it been said before (Not enough $ made in one truck to support two house holds?) I will add straight truck or vans to this sentance.
Tractor Trailer different league.