teaming a "C"

taciturn

Expert Expediter
Are teams in a "C" unit something that you see? occasionally? ever? And does anyone know companies that recruit teams for a "C" or should I post that in the recruiter forum? Thanks ahead of time!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most of the bigger carriers recruit for this size unit. Read through the archives so you can develop an idea of who you might want to sign on with.
It will at least give you a starting point.

Davekc

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
RE: teaming a

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is considered a "C" unit? Will just say that I'm asking "for the new people" on EO... ya, that's it... the new people. :eek:

taciturn

Expert Expediter

let me make sure I'm clear on this... I didn't mean owner operator... just to be sure here... again thanks for the input

And a "C" is basically a cube van with a 12" to 18" box I believe... correct me if I'm wrong please :p

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Here are the spec`s for FECC. Other companys may vary.

Vehicle Specifications C Unit
14' Straight Truck

14' Weather-tight Cargo Box Vehicle Specifications

Vehicle Specifications
Unit must be able to legally scale 5,000-pound payload
Box floor must be dock high, 48-52" from the ground
Inside dimensions must be 90" wide x 92" high
Rear door opening must be minimum 88" high, 85" wide (roll up or swing doors are optional)
Safety support legs at the rear of the frame of the unit (minimum rating 25,000 pounds)
Legal sleeper between cab and box
Box must be white

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>Are teams in a "C" unit something that you see? occasionally? ever?

My wife and I have been running a C unit since 1997. We have occasionally seen C units running single, although we see more D units running single. We have always had a sleeper 70" or more, so that puts the creature comforts on par with D units. The rest is deciding whether you want to be able to legally scale 13000 lbs or prefer only carrying 5000 lbs max. We have occasionally carried in excess of 5000 lbs as a tool to escape a slow area, but our loads mostly are around 2000 lbs.

The only drawback: C units are hard to find used and no dealer has new C units sitting around for sale except possibly Alumnibunk in Woodhaven (behind Detroiter).

Vernon in C2197

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
C's RULE !!!!!!!!!!

I get a big kick pulling into a popular express center with a bucket full of D's. With my lil baby C , i'm almost 85% guarentee'd my behind will be outta there within hours.

One year ago i purchased and leased onto FCC with a D unit. Spent the usuall [too much] amount of dwell time.....and that started to aggrevate me.

Since i have just a tad amount of common sense left, i quickly realized that better than 80% of ALL my loads were small enough to fit in a C.

So , i sell off my D unit and immediatly purchased a C. Got myself a MUCH LARGER sleeper. Class 8's are a hoot with a baby box !!!!!

Now, i don't spend too much time sitting around. Never does the status board give me the heebie-jeebies. C's are rolled outta there usually before i even get a chance to catch a break. C'Yall D's laters.

Oh...... and yes !!! Teams are the way to go whether it be a D or C

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
RE: C's RULE !!!!!!!!!!

Why would carriers take a C over a D I mean whats the difference in a Dispatchers view point. I can understand if it is a large load than a C cannot. If its only 4,500lbs why would a C get the load offer first if a D were already there over a C?

Thank goodness my carrier does not pick and choose in this fashion. Sounds very crooked way to dispatch equal trucks. It was not explained this way to me at my last carrier they wanted Ds over Cs.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>Why would carriers take a C over a D I mean whats the
>difference in a Dispatchers view point. I can understand if
>it is a large load than a C cannot. If its only 4,500lbs why
>would a C get the load offer first if a D were already there
>over a C?
>
>Thank goodness my carrier does not pick and choose in this
>fashion. Sounds very crooked way to dispatch equal trucks.
>It was not explained this way to me at my last carrier they
>wanted Ds over Cs.

C loads (2K to 5K) are the most requested size by shippers. A C truck gets the load unless a D has been on the board longer.

Recrutiers will allways want you to invest in a D so you can "take anything" What do they care? After all it is your money thats being invested not thiers.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

I agree I take more Cs than Ds but so what it pays the same, my question was why would a C have any prefrence over a 1,500 load vs my D at anothe carrier.

If I am there first closest to the frieght than a D should get it over a C that just pulled into the same town. Fair???? Seems so to me. And especially if there were two Ds there and one C pulled in.

Personally if I ever knew of that I would switch carriers to one that first in first out if you can take the load than that is only fiar.

Luckily I did just that its the only fair and equal system. First in first out wether the other truck has 10 years expierence or 10 days first in first out period...

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

"If I am there first closest to the frieght than a D should
get it over a C that just pulled into the same town.
Fair???? Seems so to me. And especially if there were two
Ds there and one C pulled in."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

If distance to the shipper is equal and a "C" pulled in long after there was several "D" units there, what would be the point in offering it to the "C"?

In many cases regardless of the carrier, a "D" owner has invested more $$$$ to buy that truck.
This seems like a foolish way to operate.
Not a place I would consider leasing to if this is indeed how they operate.
What is the point in having a "D" with this carrier?

Davekc

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

At FedEx I was told that a run is offered first to the size unit it SHOULD be on, no matter who got there first.

In otherwords, if it's a B load, it is offered to every B first, then C's, then D's, and lastly E's, etc.

Therefore, using that logic, if most of a companies loads are "C" loads, a C Unit will stay busier than a D.

That's the point of having different size units. If I'm sitting there in a van, and they offer my van load to a D unit, just because he's been there longer, I almost guarantee the next load will require a D Unit!!!

I don't know about other companies, but I have talked to some C Unit drivers with FedEx, and they "seem" to be busier than most D unit drivers I talk to.

A "C Unit" will definately get dispatched around a "D Unit" if it is a "C Load" so as to keep that bigger truck availible for a bigger load.

Dreamer

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

"At FedEx I was told that a run is offered first to the size
unit it SHOULD be on, no matter who got there first."

And YES !!!! you were told correctly.

FAIR ??? Has nothing to do with fair. Its more of an understanding how a carrier operates. It took me 3-4 months out as n00b to see I was losing the business to those "C's". So I made a smart business decision and traded UP.

COST LESS ?? Thats rubbish....total rubbish. 5-7 feet less box don't make all that big-a-difference. Some of the nicest trucks out there are class 8 "C" units with large sleepers. Those babys are hardly comparable to some M2.