Team Becoming Solo For Now.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Okay, I'm with FedEx CC and I just lost my co-driver. (We drive for an owner). I will now be solo (65/35) for a couple of months while I work to get an inexperienced driver/team member qualified. Since we starved as a team for the last month, I'm wondering if I'll get my wallet destroyed worse as a solo. I understand, Jan/Early Feb is slow, (we actually had a great week the first week of the year), but I'm still very nervous and I can't stand the idea that I can only be dispatched at about 500 miles. Any ideas? I'm also downgrading to a smaller sleeper truck and I'm not real thrilled.

Thanks, Prescat

prescat

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the advice, that's what I kind of thought. As a team, we made some bad decisions trying to be team players for FedEx by taking runs out West and they they couldn't get us back. Since I'm from the Northeast and don't mind doing New York and the surrounding area, I'm a little less nervous. Thanks for the response.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Since I'm from the Northeast and don't mind doing New York and the surrounding area, I'm a little less nervous. Thanks for the response.

You may find you like solo driving in your home area than team driving nationwide.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Okay, I'm with FedEx CC and I just lost my co-driver. (We drive for an owner). I will now be solo (65/35) for a couple of months while I work to get an inexperienced driver/team member qualified. Since we starved as a team for the last month, I'm wondering if I'll get my wallet destroyed worse as a solo. I understand, Jan/Early Feb is slow, (we actually had a great week the first week of the year), but I'm still very nervous and I can't stand the idea that I can only be dispatched at about 500 miles. Any ideas? I'm also downgrading to a smaller sleeper truck and I'm not real thrilled.

Thanks, Prescat

I’m solo O/O leased with Landstar, weekend runs of 1000 to 2000 miles are not that uncommon with weekday run of 300 to 800 miles. The majority of D units are solo O/O or drivers that are kept busy.

One solo driver with Landstar has been averaging 3-4 loads a week the last few weeks from Minneapolis area back and forth to Detroit area with several runs in-between plus some down and around Kansas City area then up to Detroit area. He lives in Florida and has hardly seen the sun in a month plus all that snow. He’s lost his Floridian tan. He finally got a run from Detroit area headed to NJ then weaved his runs down to Atlanta with plans to grab one close to his FL home and a well deserved rest. When comparing compensation between 2007 and 2008 he’s made more in 2008 than 2007 and this is the slow time of the year for some.

Landstar agents when needed will adjust pick up and delivery times so that solo drivers can run legally logged loads.

Landstar adds additional $200 in addition to regular compensation for runs with pick-up or delivery within the 5 Boroughs of New York City.

Like most other carriers one can be kept busy on east coast from Boston to Atlanta.

Good Luck!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
depending what size truck you are in you will do ok.If you take all the loads,good or bad,that you are offered,you may even make more than you did running team.Remember you wont be splitting your pay with a co-driver,but its a must,you take most of your runs.
Remember the teams dont want the short loads,but they will all add up.