Team: 5 on/5 off rotate

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
In 2002 my wife and I drove team we rotated 5hrs,on and 5hrs, off ..How do we log this without being in violation ??? Bear

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Under the current HOS you can't legally log it. You could split log with a 2 hour break then and now you need an 8 hour break to split log. That makes it pretty much mandatory to do 10 hour shifts so the other person has their 10 hour break. Many teams just split the day into a pair of 12 hour shifts to avoid the confusion of trying to rotate 10 hour segments. Whatever happens during the 12 hour shift is that person's regardless of which line it's on. OOIDA has worked to get more sensible HOS and is still working on it. If you aren't both already members you need to join and get anyone you can to join. When we get membership numbers high enough they'll be able to fix this for us.

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
We used to run 5 and 5s when we first started driving. Now we drive 10s since the new HOS. Obviously, whoever thought up the new sleeper berth HOS did not have teams in mind. We figure if you are going to drive 8 hours you might as well drive 10 and not have the hassle of working in a 2 hr break somewhere.

Leo, we are going to be joining OOIDA. Do you care if we use your member# as a referral?

48ST8s

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Please use someone's number as it gets you a discount. I'd be glad for you to use mine if you wish. Thank you for joining. It's important that we all do. They are the only ones working to put common sense back into things like this.

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
thank you,, You have done your homework...Ann and I will probably acquire a Cargo Van 14; 12,000+GVW what should a team do if a driver for whatever the reason begins to tires after 4 or 5 hours and their partner is ready to relieve them for a few hours...Everyone is different...

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
thank you,, You have done your homework...Ann and I will probably acquire a Cargo Van 14; 12,000+GVW what should a team do if a driver for whatever the reason begins to tires after 4 or 5 hours and their partner is ready to relieve them for a few hours...Everyone is different...

Within the last 24 hours other driver needs to have time left under 14 hour rule as well as 11 driving rule. If no is answer to either driver needs to pull over and park in a safe area to get needed rest.

The only exception I’m aware is when running FEMA disaster run I was issued a letter stating HOS rules didn’t apply.

Sort of a get out of jail card.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's really no option other than stopping. It's very complicated the way they have it now and there are a few very specific ways to get around it with split logging but it torques my brain to even think about it. I'm aware of some teams who run 5/5 while their paper logs show 10/10. I'm not suggesting it, just saying it's happening and probably more than people know about or would suspect. Good luck.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
One big problem with the new HOS is border crossings . The person in the bunk must come out . Technically that interrupts their sleeper time and makes it count on the clock if it was been less than 8 hours . I recently read an article regarding this in a Canadian trucking magazine . They questioned several enforcement officials about it and while several said they would not enforce the rule under those circumstances none would give a response in writing .