Taylor May'd

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Well as longest sitting unit in the entire fleet clearly it is not a good area for freight right now.
Weelll if a certain dispatcher would stop low balling the loads I might get something.....I got called on a load and she said she could get it for .60 a mile I told her I would do it for .70 she called up the driver next to me and asked him same question......I am not in laredo,tx either!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Morning dispatch has yet to call me with a offer its only been night shift grrrr and I am in a good area.
I got called for a load a little while ago. Walled Lake to San Antonio, 1474 miles, and exactly 25 hours to get it there.

I would really like it if someone in here can explain to me how that can be done, and why it would be expected to be done, without even being told up front about such a transit time. I called in to ask about the 59 MPH required, and that fuel stops would be necessary on such a trip. When you lose an hour for fuel stops, that bumps it up to 61.5 MPH, and if you run into any traffic at all, accident, construction, rush hour, that means you will have to really push the speed limits, even beyond their limits, to make a such a run in 25 hours. Solo or team is irrelevant.

The reason I'm asking is, I want to find out just how out of touch I am. I won't go into the details, but I have never been so rudely dismissed and so rudely talked to, including being hung up on when I asked to talk to someone, ANYONE else, as I was a little while ago. That's saying a lot when you consider I spent 5 years at Panther routinely being dismissed as irrelevant and talked down to like I was a moron. What's most shocking is, this was probably the LAST person at Load One that I ever expected to be talk to in such a manner. Shorthanded, having a bad day, sure, I can understand that. But she doubled down in an email on it.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I got called for a load a little while ago. Walled Lake to San Antonio, 1474 miles, and exactly 25 hours to get it there.

I would really like it if someone in here can explain to me how that can be done, and why it would be expected to be done, without even being told up front about such a transit time. I called in to ask about the 59 MPH required, and that fuel stops would be necessary on such a trip. When you lose an hour for fuel stops, that bumps it up to 61.5 MPH, and if you run into any traffic at all, accident, construction, rush hour, that means you will have to really push the speed limits, even beyond their limits, to make a such a run in 25 hours. Solo or team is irrelevant.

The reason I'm asking is, I want to find out just how out of touch I am. I won't go into the details, but I have never been so rudely dismissed and so rudely talked to, including being hung up on when I asked to talk to someone, ANYONE else, as I was a little while ago. That's saying a lot when you consider I spent 5 years at Panther routinely being dismissed as irrelevant and talked down to like I was a moron. What's most shocking is, this was probably the LAST person at Load One that I ever expected to be talk to in such a manner. Shorthanded, having a bad day, sure, I can understand that. But she doubled down in an email on it.

I have forwarded this to the managers and they will pull the calls and review and get back to you asap on it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have forwarded this to the managers and they will pull the calls and review and get back to you asap on it.
Thanks. I was just about to head over to the office (was at the Walmart in Woodhaven) to sit down with a manager or two and maybe the dispatcher when I got a call, just in the, uhm, Nick of time, and he let me know that a face-to-face discussion wasn't necessary, as the phone call said all that was needed to be said. He, like me, was taken aback by it, especially being who it was.

I'm still a bit flabbergasted by it. Bad mood, bad day, short handed, the pressures of getting that load covered with another vehicle, whatever, sure, that can all be overlooked and easily forgiven. But hanging up on someone, that's genuine. Can't blame that on any other thing or body. When you hang up on somebody like that, you're telling them that you are more important than they are, what you have to say is not only more important than what they have to say, but what they have to say is soooo unimportant as to be deemed irrelevant, not even worth listening to or considering. That's a tough one to get past.

If I had been informed of the transit time at the time I was offered the load, I'd have questioned it, as I usually do with wonky pickup and delivery times, and we could have figured it out, whether the solution being to extend the delivery time, take me off the load, whatever. But at least such a short delivery time would have been noted and addressed properly. I certainly didn't want to address it after I picked it up, which would have created even more problems for those in the office.

In any case, I'm sure I never will find out, but it would be awesome to find out what time that loads gets delivered tomorrow, mainly because if it gets delivered on time I want to know how it was done. And if it's delivered 5 or 6 hours late, well then I could have done that. :D

It's not like I'm tripping over myself to get a load to DeepInaHearta, either. :D

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Thanks. I was just about to head over to the office (was at the Walmart in Woodhaven) to sit down with a manager or two and maybe the dispatcher when I got a call, just in the, uhm, Nick of time, and he let me know that a face-to-face discussion wasn't necessary, as the phone call said all that was needed to be said. He, like me, was taken aback by it, especially being who it was.

I'm still a bit flabbergasted by it. Bad mood, bad day, short handed, the pressures of getting that load covered with another vehicle, whatever, sure, that can all be overlooked and easily forgiven. But hanging up on someone, that's genuine. Can't blame that on any other thing or body. When you hang up on somebody like that, you're telling them that you are more important than they are, what you have to say is not only more important than what they have to say, but what they have to say is soooo unimportant as to be deemed irrelevant, not even worth listening to or considering. That's a tough one to get past.

If I had been informed of the transit time at the time I was offered the load, I'd have questioned it, as I usually do with wonky pickup and delivery times, and we could have figured it out, whether the solution being to extend the delivery time, take me off the load, whatever. But at least such a short delivery time would have been noted and addressed properly. I certainly didn't want to address it after I picked it up, which would have created even more problems for those in the office.

In any case, I'm sure I never will find out, but it would be awesome to find out what time that loads gets delivered tomorrow, mainly because if it gets delivered on time I want to know how it was done. And if it's delivered 5 or 6 hours late, well then I could have done that. :D

It's not like I'm tripping over myself to get a load to DeepInaHearta, either. :D

I am sure Nick apologized already for the staff member, but I will add mine to it. Sorry and thank you.

Reactions: Turtle

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Do we get hit with a turn down, on a bid load, that doesn't pick up until the next day? Is there a time limit?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I can understand losing the ability to claim layover pay for that time period, but should we lose board position also?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well today that is the policy.... But we will discuss and take a look at it. I think it is a very reasonable point of view and I don't think it has been brought up or looked at before.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
On a run to Grand Forks, ND. Any freight coming out of there or should we head to Minneapolis or ? afterwards?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well today that is the policy.... But we will discuss and take a look at it. I think it is a very reasonable point of view and I don't think it has been brought up or looked at before.
More than 8 hours in advance, less than 100 miles, DH miles is more than 40% of the loaded miles. That was my previous suggestions.

Sandusky to Eagle Pass. 26 hours to get it there.

Just kidding. 46 hours. :p

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I was raised to always do my best. Be top of the heap. Be the champion. My competitive side runs very deep. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure I am number 1 on a certain list that I don't want to be on. Hoping I get knocked down off of my perch very soon.

Reactions: SWTexas1