Tandem axle straight truck advice

jm91rs

Rookie Expediter
A little quick background. I'm not an expediter but I've been checking out the site and it seems that there's a lot of trucking knowledge here. We deliver products within 150 miles of my warehouse to Universities and some other places with very tight delivery areas. Currently there are 3 or 4 runs per week that exceed the weight on our 33,000 GVW straight trucks so we're sending extra drivers and trucks down to keep the customer stocked. It's stretching us very thin around here and now that it's time to replace one of the old trucks I'm looking to get one that can haul more and hopefully keep some of the drivers in here to help more often. I need to haul another 10,000-15,000 lbs and I think we're stuck with a straight truck. A few universities require straight trucks only, and others would be very difficult deliveries with a trailer (some people could do it, my drivers-not so sure). Here are my questions and I'm hoping someone can help:

How much more weight can we haul (product is on pallets) with a tandem axle straight truck over our current 33,000 gvw fleet, assuming we load it properly of course?

As far as I can tell, the tandem axle trucks are pretty much custom jobs. Do you know of dealers that are good at this in the Cincinnati, Indy, Louisville, Columbus, Dayton area?

Any opinions on buying used, fairly low mile trucks? We've always bought new, but recently had an international engine rebuilt and the thing is now the best running truck we've ever had. Anything I find used will likely have to have the box scrapped for a new FRP body, that's a requirement for our deliveries.

What am I looking for as far as power? We drive a lot of 70 mph roads so the truck will have to do 70 when loaded. In my mind I always picture tandem axle trucks as dump trucks or garbage trucks barely able to chug down the highway. I know that's not always the case, but we need to be sure our drivers can go the speed limit.

I've asked a lot of questions, and I'm sure there's some info I should have given but forgot, but any help you guys can offer would be great.

Thanks!

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I saw one straight truck with multiple lift axles similar to what you may see on a dump truck. You don't have to buy a new truck because the axles can be installed on a used truck. I installed one on my straight truck bringing my GVWR to 46,000#.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
We feel that ten wheel trucks are the way to go. We are slowly changing our while fleet to ten wheel trucks. Most of our super D units as we call then can hold 21,000 lbs. We have one that could hold 26,000 lbs but I feel no need to go over 21,000 lbs. The only you may have to give up is having a bigger sleeper in some cases.

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not look at the Dealers of Straight trucks on the home page. Some are right in the areas you are looking for. They will certainly be able to offer you some options.
You might try Bobby Snyder @[email protected]

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Bobby Snyder wants to sell his trucks high and give you nothing for your trade. I lost total respect for Bobby when we asked him to make a donation to the Home history fund at the Expedite Expo and he said no. I was like really. Me and my buddy just bought $340,000.00 worth on trucks from you in 2012 and you can't make a $20.00 or a $1.00 donation to help restore the graves at the children's home in Xenia, Ohio. We will never buy another truck from him.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
About the ability to drive the speed limit up to 70 mph, yes, a tandem-axle straight truck can do that. The dump trucks and garbage trucks you speak of are geared for heavy loads and/or city driving. Our tandem-axle straight truck easily cruises at highway speed, as do all other tandem-axle expediter straights that we know.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
We feel that ten wheel trucks are the way to go. We are slowly changing our while fleet to ten wheel trucks. Most of our super D units as we call then can hold 21,000 lbs. We have one that could hold 26,000 lbs but I feel no need to go over 21,000 lbs. The only you may have to give up is having a bigger sleeper in some cases.

When you load 26k in your box are you still ok on the front axel weight? if so would you care to share the make and model with me please? so I know what to shop for

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The Truck Paper is where you need to be shopping.
You'll probably find what you want, ready to go. Very good website. Thousands of trucks.

I'd suspect you use non-sleepers. Look at the front axle rating, typically 12,000-13,200 # and add 34,000# for the tandem. Your gross will be 46,000-47,200# . Minus the weight of the truck full of fuel, with driver and equipment, and you'll have your available payload.
Hoffman Truck Body in Louisville may be able to work with you.
The KW dealer in Louisville leases some heavy duty straights. I'd call them. They can probably put you in a demo or rental to try before you buy.
You want to get it figured out before you spend your money.
EO is a great site to find trucks, if you need sleepers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You may also be a candidate for a long term lease. PacLease can give you the benefits of that also.
Paclease is run through Peterbuilt and Kenworth dealers.
Good Luck.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
When you load 26k in your box are you still ok on the front axel weight? if so would you care to share the make and model with me please? so I know what to shop for

This a rare fine to be honest, I was shocked that this 2006 Century could hold this much weight. The box must be really light. Our older Century can hold 21k. We really haven't hauled many loads over 19k so I can't really give my input on the front axle on loads over that.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This a rare fine to be honest, I was shocked that this 2006 Century could hold this much weight. The box must be really light. Our older Century can hold 21k. We really haven't hauled many loads over 19k so I can't really give my input on the front axle on loads over that.

If it has the Mercedes engine, that's part of it. Mercedes have aluminum blocks.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
If it has the Mercedes engine, that's part of it. Mercedes have aluminum blocks.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

The 07 Freightliner we just got has that motor and can hold the same amount.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Rush truck in Cincinnati has a 08 Intl 4400 26' tandem St ,225,200 miles, $37,500
Stk # U 107002 513-733-8500

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bruno, are those properly built straight trucks or just stretched tractors ? Double framed ?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Bruno, are those properly built straight trucks or just stretched tractors ? Double framed ?

We bought them used, but it does seem that where tractors at one time then stretched. I really don't know to be honest but do the job.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As long as they're doing the job, that's all that counts.
The reason I wanted to point out the light truck/ heavy payload was the op wants to load heavy almost daily.
Not a good idea with the stretched tractors.
It works for expedite because I imagine most of your loads are pretty light.

By the way, nice looking place you got there.