Talladega race anyone ?

moose

Veteran Expediter
needs to take a break anywhere between Birmingham and Atlanta.
was looking for something to do this weekends, and... wahm,there's a NASCAR race in Talladega. :)
now, all i need is some friendly company, and a ride from wherever i can park my TT.
anyone in ?

also, where to park.
i'd rent a car for the day, but don't think i can rent one on Sat. night/Sun morning.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Went by there late last night. Campgrounds were full of people. Don't know how many were sober though. :p

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just left the track Moose .Was there most of the day and didnt see your post.I could have used a sober driver...:D
Thinking about going again tommorow but gotta check prices.
Im more then sure Dispatch wont have me out of here before Monday.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Talladega,, TV does it no justice..Met up with Moose early this morning and off we went..
I enjoy Nastycar but am not really a big follower of it but recommend anyone getting the chance to spend a race weekend to do it here. Talladega is something to experience even if your not a huge follower..Could not be any easier or trucker friendly to spend the weekend. Acres and acres of free parking, free camping all on site. Easy in and easy out. Tickets where much cheaper then I expected to pay. Bobtail only for the tractor trailers but the straights can park anywhere ya can fit. Free camping requires ticket purchase before ya arrive @ camp grounds. First come, first serve on camp sites.
Dispatch couldnt have picked a better place to leave me hanging for this weekend :p
Thanks for going Moose,,was great time..Thanks for dinner again also..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moose is GOOD people. I have met up with him a couple of times. Not had the pleasure of meeting you yet. I don't think I would want too there. Pay money to be put to sleep? NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, puts me to sleep faster than NASCAR. As in the race starts, 5 minutes, and the "Z" monster attacks!! LOL!! :D

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
There is no turning down the volume when at the track Layout.
Not much sleeping because the pre-show all most did that to me.
Its not the race so much that I enjoyed, it was just seeing the place, the area around it and kinda just ppl watching if you know what I mean :D
Its a different ballgame down here then at home I cant put my finger on it but I enjoyed this place much more then when I go to Mich speedway. Everything is handled in such a manner for the fans,,Its easy no matter what ya do here and I kinda thought it was a cheap weekend out,,2 days of racing for just a lil more then 100$. And anywhere near the start finnish line where I sat seemed to be the cheap seats..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no turning down the volume when at the track Layout.
Not much sleeping because the pre-show all most did that to me.
Its not the race so much that I enjoyed, it was just seeing the place, the area around it and kinda just ppl watching if you know what I mean :D
Its a different ballgame down here then at home I cant put my finger on it but I enjoyed this place much more then when I go to Mich speedway. Everything is handled in such a manner for the fans,,Its easy no matter what ya do here and I kinda thought it was a cheap weekend out,,2 days of racing for just a lil more then 100$. And anywhere near the start finnish line where I sat seemed to be the cheap seats..

LOL!! I was able to sleep, when it was not my turn to fire, on the rifle ranges in basic training. I have never been to a race other than Flat Rock Speedway when I was a kid and the Detroit Drag way once, when it was still there. I would likely enjoy the "people watching".

I used to "hate" NASCAR weekends when I worked at Cabela's. The store used to run a "shuttle" from the track to the store.

Most of those who came in were normal people. There was, however, a rather large number of what I would call, "less than human" element that would show up. Six packs (beer) hanging from their belts. Already drunk. Rowdy. It was NOT uncommon to have to throw away several expensive display boots. It seems that they make very good spittoons.

They ran the same shuttle when the Indy cars where there. I never saw that particular element with that bunch.

I went by Talladega that weekend. I was under load so I could not stop. I would have looked you guys up if I could have. There were TONS of people camped all over the place. Looked like it could be fun.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Racing seemed second nature to these ppl down here..We really didnt see the sloppy drunks ya see at other events.While leaving the grandstands we seen just a few kids (in one group) that thought they where having fun and simply not relizing or knowing how stuipt they looked or where acting. Im sure most of the sloppy ones where still passed out at the campgrounds???
Dont get me wrong Im all for beer and it was flowing there,, but in a crowd like that I like to keep my witts about me and all in all the ppl here did just that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Racing seemed second nature to these ppl down here..We really didnt see the sloppy drunks ya see at other events.While leaving the grandstands we seen just a few kids (in one group) that thought they where having fun and simply not relizing or knowing how stuipt they looked or where acting. Im sure most of the sloppy ones where still passed out at the campgrounds???
Dont get me wrong Im all for beer and it was flowing there,, but in a crowd like that I like to keep my witts about me and all in all the ppl here did just that.

I am in NO way opposed to flowing beer!! It was just a few of the less than savory bunch that tends to put a bad light on the entire bunch!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So the truth comes out in the end..Its not the race that puts you to sleep..:D

OH MY NO! I can sleep through a race, beer or no beer!! Football puts me to sleep ALMOST as fast! Not hockey, but only if the Wings are playing.

I have been known to fall asleep in tree stands, on rock and stumps and, under the proper conditions, a layout boat!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It's more fun in Alabama because stock car racing is a redneck thing and the rednecks know how to do it right.
I grew up 60 miles south of Daytona and used to do all the races, speed weeks and bike weeks. Five days in the in field will cure whatever ails you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's more fun in Alabama because stock car racing is a redneck thing and the rednecks know how to do it right.
I grew up 60 miles south of Daytona and used to do all the races, speed weeks and bike weeks. Five days in the in field will cure whatever ails you.

I try to spend "five days in the field" as often as I can. Hunting deer or ducks. Five days of just noise, tire smoke and fumes is just NOT my idea of fun. I can see, how ever, if I ever win tickets for a race I would have no problem giving them away!!