Tag Axle & Lift Gate Info

Finn777

Expert Expediter
Was wondering how much it cost to buy and install a tag axle and lift gate on a 22ft box truck and what companies are recommended to do a good job.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Cost wise you will be in the 11,000.00 to 14,000.00 range for good quality equipment. I would recommend going to a shop familiar to expediting like G-Tech in Detroit Mi there number is 1-313-841-1633.

truckmoney4me

Expert Expediter
I have a tag axle and lift gate that I recently removed from a Freightliner FL80 (2001). I got out of the business because finding dependable drivers was almost impossible. I am selling the tag axle and lift gate for $2000. For your information, I work for a truck body company (AM Haire INC.) We build truck bodies and do all kinds of truck alterations. The tag axle and lift gate can be installed for $3000. Total for cost of tag axle and lift gate and installation would be $5000.
The tag axle has (4) four 95% tread depth tires. (2 steer and 2 drive). The wheels have chrome simulators (22.5) This unit is in excellent working condition.
The lift gate is a 25 hundred pound Anthony power up and down unit. As far as I know, the only problem with the lift gate is that it needs a selnoid unit-which I will replace on my dime.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would go used if adding these to a truck.
You seldom would recover the value if buying new and putting them on a used truck.
Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have never had a situation where I lost a job over no liftgate. I have heard of situations where trucks have been turned away because the liftgate blocked the dock lock from the ICC bar and caused the loss of a job. I'd be careful about a liftgate unless you have a special situation requiring it on a regular basis. It might cost you more than it earns you. Good luck with whatever you do.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Wow, would have never thought of that but your right, some of those locks will not let the dock plate up unless it locks. Walmart, Target Distribution Centers.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but that is what I observed last week dropping at one of those places. No lock no deck plate.

Is there no way else for it to work?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if there's a way to work the dock plate without the lock on the ICC bar but even if there is I've been to a stop or two where they won't touch the truck unless it's locked so even if the plate would work there still would be a risk of not being loaded/unloaded. Combined with the cost and weight penalty I just don't see it as worth it for the most part.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are both correct. You do gain some loads, but you lose many as well.
We had several of these with reefers, and they were way more aggravation than they were worth. In addition to losing some loads, you are carrying all that weight around. At todays rates, you seldom can recover your investment unless buying used.
After a run through a good winter, the road chemicals just trash these systems.
Davekc
owner
20 years

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hmmm- I am pricing a Watson-Chalin fixed lift axle rated at 13,200 lbs. It is designed for a low profile (expediter) system. I have only 26" bottom of frame to ground, and 17" drive shaft to ground. Even 225/70R22.5's would be a tight fit. Truck tires are 295/22.5's. This unit with 215/75R17.5's (H rated=18,000 lbs) will cost about $6300 installed. My truck is now "used" (older than 9 mos.), so no FET on the installation, only on the tires. This seems like a valid expense for an almost new truck that I intend to keep for quite a while.
However, I would be interested in your lift axle, if in good condition; assuming the tires will fit under the box. thanks

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Remember: you can only add 13,000 lbs. to rear for a total of 34K. Unless you have a heavy front end with a 14,000 rated axle, you will only plate 46,000 GVW maximum.
You also need to realistically estimate how many time you will get those heavy loads, and are you paid accordingly? For example, I have talked to a TSES driver, who will hesitate to use his because the rate is only $1.35 plus FSC for loads over 14,000 lbs. (I would still take those: that is at least $1.50 /mile) If install the axle below, I will be able to plate 24,000 lbs in 22' feet of space. Almost 25K, if no more than 20'.

truckmoney4me

Expert Expediter
you guys are right there are loads that you have be able to use the dock locks, however i found a simple way to solve that problem. as to the need of the tag axle i was pushed into that by the carrier i was leased to. i was in a fl80 freightliner with a 96 in. sleeper and a generator and all the goodies and it was found that i could only haul a pay load of 12200 lbs. even though 90% of all the loads i hauled the past year were c loads they changed my class to c. as a d unit i hauled mostly c loads and as a c unit i did not want to be hauling mostly b loads with so high dollar a unit.(high dollar is a relative term glen r.) after the addition of the tag and lift gate an a few other changes (pads, straps, box dollie, 4 wheel dollie etc) i found i was getting some much better paying loads than the normal d unit rate. by now you all have guessed who i was leased to i am sure.i loved the work but health problems and other problems kept me out of the truck and it is realy hard to keep drivers i dont care what you pay them or what kind of truck you put them in. so i now build truck bodies for a living. good luck to all that are still at it! i think if you play the game smart you can still make a good living out there and know for sure i miss it like crazy.

HOLLYWOULD67

Expert Expediter
i got mine for less than 6,000 installed with rubber. from ellenbaum motors in sebawing,mi. tagged at 54,000 gvwr in mich.