T-300s again

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I find it curious as to some of the posts about another brand of truck. I am no rocket expert here, but I am good at following what others do complain about or compliment about.

Dave made a post about spending 10K more vs that brand and one would most likely be happier. I could not agree more, I know of know one who has ever complained on this site about the two trucks in particular.

Sterlings and KW T-300 plus the sister Pete 330. I ask myself than why would one go elsewhere when others are complaining? Now when I was looking the M-2 had a terrible repuatation and that probably is the biggest seller of all Expediter Trucks and I am sure many of you are delighted, but all in all I have not heard of anyone ever complaining about what a piece of junk the above brands have delivered in comfort, reliablity, and resaleability. Dollar for dollar its a great value Class 8s new can not compete used yes, but thats not my point its class 7 vs class 7.

I am not out to reinvent the wheel only to keep it rolling profitabily. Why when an OWNER of a certian vehicle would post on here about not climbing hills, lawn orniment would you not take that into deep consideration? I hope its not true, but its been told over more than once, I want the best value for my dollar maybee I did achieve it I am not 100% sure but I am sure I did not do terrible either.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My thoughts exactly. Why would one buy the latest least expensive (I assume)truck or the M-2, if people have so many issues with them? Any truck can have problems, but I never have had problems with structural integrity, or chassis hardware (locks, knobs, etc.) with my Pete. Frankly, the Sterling Acterra & the Pete 335 were almost identical in price, cept one dealer would let me transfer the box, and the other wouldn't. Kind of a no-brainer all the way round!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. For around 10% higher original cost the reliability and resale more than make up the difference. I am looking at another Sterling as well as a T300 now. Both are fine vehicles and I'm confident would give more than satisfactory service. I spoke to a team yesterday in the other truck. They get 7mpg, provided they only drive 60.

I understand the thinking some have. Buy the unit with the 36 month unlimited mileage powertrain warranty and in 36 months transfer the box and sleeper to a new chassis. Gives you a truck never out of warranty. I wonder though if that chassis will give 36 months service in our application? What about 36 months being run team? That's double the challenge. Who knows, they may be visionaries but then again they may be seeing things.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Leo, IF, you have drivers. Drivers, not steering wheel holders, and, sattellite radio lister tooers, ANY class 7 will go 360K. Team, no team. Problem with perpetual warranty, comes perpetual payments. Your folks won't run hard enough to allow you to get into your a$$ pocket for the next one. Way too much monkey business there. Unfortuneately.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have only h/w teams in my trucks, other than mine. I don't subscribe to the 3 year change out program. I'm just commenting on the plan that some have in buying a Hino. I believe a T300 or Acterra, properly maintained and cared for, will give 750k miles of good service if not more. The key in that phrase being properly maintained and cared for.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right: they have a gear-bound truck not set up for expediting. My first was like that and was a stock unit off a lot. 70 mph top speed and still got 8 mpg with a 3126. MY next Pete's with ISC's both get 8.5-9.2 and one did 76 & current one does 86. The gear bound trucks will never get that. However...

MY point is this: If one tries to bend the stick too far to the lean side (lower the gear ratio too far) you will spend too much $$ in downshifting to step down gear to climb hills. I think too many folks think by going down to a 3.7 rear end with a medium-duty engine and .74 final drive, will save you money.

I have a 4.10 with 315 hsp. ISC and .74, the tallest rubber tires in 275/80R22.5s and I climb any hill except the steepest without downshifting, and fuel economy is adequate. I told Jeff Jones once that I think the 4.10 is better than the 3.9. With a 4.10, one can always spec the tall rubber tires as well.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
My son purchased a one year old class 8 Freightliner expediter 5 years ago for $56,500. He just sold it for $25,000. It had 525k miles on it when sold, the engine warranty only recently expired and the tranny still warranted out to 750k. It required non maintenance repairs to the average of $1500.00 a year after year 3. $56,500+$3000= $59,500-$25,000 resale= $34,500 or $6900.00 a year in cost, less interest which is not a factor in this equation.

Say you buy a new class 7 unit for $110,000.00. You intend to run it for its projected life, say 12 years at the most. In that 12 years you will surely need an engine rebuild to the tune of lets say $8000.00, more if it’s a little CAT that has to be replaced. And after year number 3 in will come the same $1500.00 a year in repairs, likely a lot more after year 6 or 7, and surely more than that if mileage is accumulated high by a team operation. After that 12 years the truck will be worth nothing short of fifty cents. $110,000+8000.00+13,500= $131,500 or $10,958 a year in costs.

Say you sell it after 5 years. Looking at figures in used truck ads, that $110,000 new unit will get about $40,000 used after 5 years. Let’s still add on the $1500 in repairs a year after year 3: $110,000+$3000-$40,000= $73,000 or $14,600 a year in costs.

All this time, the class 7 will never have performance equal to that of a class 8 unit with most warranties gone after 250k miles.

This is only to point out that to those who say class 8 resale value is of no matter it really can be, and so can class 8 warranties, as even if the truck is used the warranties are transferable and last longer than those of new class 7 trucks. And many who are fleet owners know that keeping drivers in equipment much older than 5-6 years is not an easy thing. Mudflap

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not to diminish the amount of work put into this but it is really an apples and oranges comparison. One could potentially have bought a one year old class 7 for the same price as your son's class 8, especially 5 years ago. That would bring the annual costs much closer in line. There is no question the class 8 is a stronger truck and has better warranties. In a team operation it is the only way to go due to the miles it will run. For a solo, either can be a good truck depending on what the owner is looking for.

EO Forum Moderator
----------