Systems similar to Landstar

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't mean to be a smart a** but please be more specific - in other words, what flexibility?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well pick I don't know about, chose loads well they all do that.

I haven't had the experince with picking the loads bit yet, maybe you can tell me how that works - PM me if you want.

Panther is the other one I know that will allow you to seek out loads, I know one contractor who does this often and makes money at it.

Maybe C&M or other small companies will allow you to.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Send me a private message and include phone. I will also need to know exactly what you mean by flexabilty. As long as you understand in most cases flexability can be a two edge sword. Anything is possible as long as you see both sides of that sword and understand them.

Raceman

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Perhaps Truckster is referring to the "no means no" flexability. Our experience has been if you say no, the agent says ok and that's the end of that, no begging, nagging or acceptance percentages to maintain. Also, there are no in service requirements, if you want to work six months out of the year you can do so.

We have only driven for two carriers so we really can't say there is a better company out there, only that we prefer Landstar to our previous carrier.

Ultimately the choice has to be what works best for the individual(s). :)

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
You got it ....
Landstar lets you use your laptop to see loads available (I believe I'm correct) and you can pick a load going in the direction you need to be headed. I'm sure there are instances where you may have to sit but thats better than taking a load heading in the wrong direction or getting al oad refusal.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Yes and no Tuckster. The carrier groups have a website that show loads available. Express America can haul those loads but most of the time they are too heavy for our trucks. But not always.

However, the carrier groups and Express America merged on Jan 1 08. Now all agents can dispatch all groups.

Is that clear as mud? It is for most people who can't "see" the system at work. Sorry if I've confused you.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Your truck looks like a straight truck in the photo there.
I think she was referring to the amount of weight a
straight truck can carry.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Your truck looks like a straight truck in the photo there.
I think she was referring to the amount of weight a
straight truck can carry.

That is my 1st truck ever ... a T300 ST. But I will be driving a TT. I have noticed a ton of Landstar TT loads up and down I95 (east coast) recently.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
For the MOST part I would suggest Landstar ranger for t/t, not Express america. I think there are only three of us t/t at leam and it is a very had nut to crack to stay busy.. imho Good luck to you.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
How can you tell the difference ?? The trailers I've seen have the blue star. I was counting recently and they really outnumbered Panther or FedEx 10 to 1 (TT). Saw quite a few Express 1 ST's

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
How can you tell the difference ?? The trailers I've seen have the blue star. I was counting recently and they really outnumbered Panther or FedEx 10 to 1 (TT). Saw quite a few Express 1 ST's

lLook at the signage on the tractor. I know nearly all the 53 trailers with the star are company trailers are Ranger drivers. Their pay is different, they almost always find their own loads, most don't have QC and don't have the mother ship checking their logs with QC and haul general truck freight. Run more miles at Ranger at less cpm's (generally speaking ) but more sitting and waiting for the phone to ring at express, but better rates. good luck