super singles tires??

denny2010

Expert Expediter
I remember linda says they had these type of tires on truck but has anyone else bought them or know someone who has..would like pro's and con's..........thanks

moose

Veteran Expediter
I drive SS on my tractor ,and wish i had them on the St truck.
if you already own a truck, the change over will probably not be cost effective. as there are some very good fuel efficient duels tires out there.
for a new truck, it's a no brainer imho.
i just bought 2 new ones for the drives, got 329,000 mil. out of the old ones, after regrooving them 50K ago.
i 'think' they improved the ride.
unlike duels, to get the best performance out of a SS set, you need to be somewhat addictive to tire awareness .as mistakes can be very costly. tires balancing, air pressure, rotations, centralizing, inspections, speed management and choosing the right tires are a must.

on a side note, the Yokohama SS drive tire that was introduced in MATS is VERY impressive and might be a game changer.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I remember linda says they had these type of tires on truck but has anyone else bought them or know someone who has..would like pro's and con's..........thanks

A buddy of mine has them and gets great mileage out of them and better fuel mileage, but, He said it's a trade off because on ice and snow he gets lousy traction. If you order them when you get your truck I can see it but to try and recoup your investment by changing over I don't think it would be good. He also stated that a flat on the road will cost twice the normal to repair and if it blows you can count on a thousand dollars for a tire and road service. Is it worth it???

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
Apparently, most of the friction from tires comes from where the sidewall meets the tread. So, the less of this particular point you have, the less rolling resistance you have to pull against, meaning, your trailer will pull a hell of a lot better.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Apparently, most of the friction from tires comes from where the sidewall meets the tread. So, the less of this particular point you have, the less rolling resistance you have to pull against, meaning, your trailer will pull a hell of a lot better.

How are they going to lessen the point where the sidewall meets the tread?:confused::confused:

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
I don't have experience with that, I tried to get online reviews but didn't get any latest reviews, Got few reviews but dated on 2006.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Every Piliot gasolineTanker I have seen in the last two years while sitting at a Piliot has SS on the tanker.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have Michelin SS on our tandem axle ST. Excellent mileage around 8 - 13 mpg depending on road conditions more so than weather, although we get better performance over all in cold weather. Hope this helps you. One downside to them though is replacing them if the need arises out on the road.