super single incident

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
On a run from Ashville to Roanoke I was traveling up I77 and one of our trucking partners from FedEx Freight passed me. As he past I saw smoke then sparks, as he got over into my lane debris started flying and then a large chunk ( the remaines of his super single trailer tire) dropped of and lay right in my path. I swerved and just missed it. I pulled over next to him to see if all was ok and we checked his truck. the left front trailer tire on his rear trailer blew out and now he could not move. As luck would have it a tractor trailer flying by us at about 80mph found hise tire remains and took it several miles down the road. he called dispatch and was going to wait for a repair truck to come and replace it.
A couple of observations.
1) if you blow a super single you are stranded you cant get to a nearby truck center. This may be a moot point if the flat dual tire takes out the other tire.
2) it may be wise to buy a spare tire and tire carier if you have an incident it seems many tire repair facilities do not carry them and you wait.
3) wouldnt it be wise for carriers to keep spare tires on the trailers just in case this happens. most class 8 tractors i see have unmounted spares so a tire company can mount it on the rim of the flat tire.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>On a run from Ashville to Roanoke I was traveling up I77 and
>one of our trucking partners from FedEx Freight passed me.
>As he past I saw smoke then sparks, as he got over into my
>lane debris started flying and then a large chunk ( the
>remaines of his super single trailer tire) dropped of and
>lay right in my path. I swerved and just missed it. I pulled
>over next to him to see if all was ok and we checked his
>truck. the left front trailer tire on his rear trailer blew
>out and now he could not move. As luck would have it a
>tractor trailer flying by us at about 80mph found hise tire
>remains and took it several miles down the road. he called
>dispatch and was going to wait for a repair truck to come
>and replace it.
>A couple of observations.
>1) if you blow a super single you are stranded you cant get
>to a nearby truck center. This may be a moot point if the
>flat dual tire takes out the other tire.
>2) it may be wise to buy a spare tire and tire carier if you
>have an incident it seems many tire repair facilities do not
>carry them and you wait.
>3) wouldnt it be wise for carriers to keep spare tires on
>the trailers just in case this happens. most class 8
>tractors i see have unmounted spares so a tire company can
>mount it on the rim of the flat tire.

If it isn't a tandem axle then yes indeed the truck is effectively stranded.

If tandem one might be able to continue, but that would depend on several factors:

-Were other tires taken out?
-How far to the nearest tire service facility?
-Weight onboard.
-Outside temperature.

In any case, one better hope the service facility has the appropriate size of super single for a replacement.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have noticed FedEx Ground running super singles on their dollies and would assume that the trailers would begin to get equipped with the same. I personally wouldn't use a super single in a single axle application. As mentioned above, when you blow a tire that's it.

Also I have yet to come across a super single "gator " sunning on the highway. They must leave behind quite a road hazard.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
Super Singles save enough money to make up for the hassle. Same as using retreads. This is in fleet use of course where there are great economies of scale.