Super 10

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
The super 10 is one of the few transmissions I haven't had the chance to drive yet. Well I took a job(start the 5th) driving a T300 with a Super 10. The way I understand it is you split the gears like your in 3rd then split to 4th, move the splitter back toward you and lever shift to 5th, etc. Is that pretty much the way it's done? Can you skip shift the Super 10 when light or empty? 1 trucker friend of mine said that the splitter part of the shift can be slow so he recommends moving the splitter like from 3rd to 4th then popping the shifter into neutral and the right back in to go to 4th, he said it's quicker to do it that way then it is to wait for the tranny to complete the shift. Is that good advice or a big pile of *radio edit*.

One last question for the guys that own/drive a KW T300 are they fairly comfortable ride wise and do they handle and turn(tight) good?

thanks for any info.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Well, I have a t300, with a super 10, and you have it correct. You have two gears in every position, but only do the pattern once. As far as fit and finish and ride quality, you can't beat KW.

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
Thanks all for the info..dieselphreak does the super 10 shift pretty quickly when splitting or would it be quicker to split then pull it out of gear and put it right back in gear?

thanks

rky_mtn_wy

Seasoned Expediter
You guys are correct about the S10 in some ways. but as far as moving the Hi lo split I.E.= 3 to 4 etc. instead of waiting for the revs to drop,just push the clutch slightly that will let it slip right in. yes,you can skip gears when empty. I.E. 3,5,7,etc. or what ever you desire.
Scott.

P.S. I'm still looking for a reputible Fleet owner to work for solo.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've driven a super-10, and I'd say it's an easy and forgiving tranny, if you realize quickly where the sweet spot is. Once you experiment with it, you'll have no probs. That was also the first truck I drove with no clutch. Glad I did it, cause the one I'm in now shifts better without. It's all about the sweet spot.

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
What would be a general guesstimate on the rpm sweet spot for a super 10 behind a 315hp Cummins? The tractors and dumps I've driven with straight transmissions generally liked about 1300rpm - 1400rpm in the low side and 1500rpm - 1800rpm or so in the high side. Would that be a pretty good range to try with the super 10?
Also when empty what would be a good rpm to lever only (skip) shift up 2 gears at a time?

thanks

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
talkin about a sweet spot every truck is different. the main thing for me is to listen to the truck. If you listen it will tell you when it's ready to shift.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I shift up at 1600, down at 1200, and double-down at 800. You can adjust for up and downhills as well. Thats the best place i've found if you don't like using the clutch.