Sunglasses

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Out of curiosity, what sunglasses do you use while driving into the sun?

Protection is obviously most important in my book, but of course comfort and style is nice to have.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, glass already effectively blocks UVB, and windshields are specially treated to block UVA (which is why those sunglasses that automatically lighten and darken are useless behind a windshield). Side and rear windows aren't treated to block UVA though So when driving into the sun, the main concern is reducing the glare rather than protecting your eyes from UV radiation.

I just use a pair of prescription sunglasses

Reactions: Solar

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
FWIW - I currently just use my lightly tinted prescription glasses and the sunvisor ....

I am looking into buying that flip down shield they advertise on TV ( I have a cheap flip down smoke tinted plastic visor extension that well to work well BUT I want UV protection too).

I may look into prescription sunglasses like the arctic explorers wear (side shields) and basically conform all around to block out extraneous light.

My windows are factory tinted and I had extra tint added to the passenger and driver windows (an an extra band across the top of the windshield (in VA its legal so long as you get a medical waiver which is easy to get ...just tell them you don't want to get sunburned from driving all day).

Last edited:
Reactions: Solar

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maui Jim’s. Mainly any glasses with polarizer will help with glare. Since I wear glasses for a full driving shift comfort is most important for me. So typically I’ll spend top dollar for quality glasses, night and day ones

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wear glasses so I use "fit over" sunglasses. They're polarized. Front and side. They are sold at Wal-Mart for about $20. Dollar Tree also sells a similar style, but not the same for a dollar.

Reactions: Solar and Turtle

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI
Pilot/Flying J has $5 off their Foster Grant sunglasses, and the Pilot/Flying J App is giving another $5 off, so you can get a pretty nice quality pair of polarized glasses for $10 or less.

Sale goes off I believe day after tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian