SubContractor Tax Questions

adslpx

Seasoned Expediter
I do not own my own truck, I work for an IC that splits the amount that is paid for the load with me. I pay my own insurance, a portion of fuel and repairs.

In addition, I would like to write off cell phone usage, office space at home, and internet access.

I used to be in sales and would fill out a form for nonreimbursed expenses. Is that the same form I would use for the expeneses mentioned above? If not, can you please let me know which forms, and if possible, the lines where the deductions would be placed.

Thanks for your assistance,

Louis

adslpx

Seasoned Expediter
Unemployment, Medicare taxes?

There are no withholdings on my checks. Am I also responsible for paying any other type of tax, such as for unemployment or medicare, in addition to what I owe for federal income tax?

I live in TX so there is no state income tax.

Thanks,
Louis

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Simply yes. Your responsiblity is to pay all the federal taxes and then pay the additional SS tax that the employer would normally pay.

Last edited:

adslpx

Seasoned Expediter
I know how to file my tax return, but how do I figure my social security tax and where and how do I pay it?

markafd

Expert Expediter
My advise to you would be have a accountant do your taxes this year and see what all he files and then wing it with turbo tax next time. Its not to paimful

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You donot have to have an accountant (CPA) (EA), You can have anyone prepare your taxes professionally, but make sure the really know the Trucking Industry, You cannot use the average tax preparer do you your specialized industry.

Frank

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.