Stupid Diesel Van Question

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Okay, stupid question of the weekend.

Do the Jiffy Lubes and such service smaller diesel engines such are in the Ford vans?

Brian Cunningham
Panther Cargo Van
Since 11/04

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had two diesels and used nothing but Jiffy Lube. I tried to limit my visits to the local shop where they knew me and my vans. I always bought Rotella at Sam's Club and brought it to the Jiffy for them to use. I got a couple of dollars off the price for my own oil and filter. Walmart is a little cheaper but the help is more transient.

Terry

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I still use the local Jiffy Lube for my gasser. They put Penzoil 5W30 in every two weeks, or so. I usually add 1/2 qt between my 4000-6000 mile changes. Lot's of owners use synthetic and claim longer life and improved gas mileage but at 458,000 miles and still running smooth and tight, I don't think the extra cost of synthetic is worth it.

For cost analysis, I pay $23.39 for an oil change. That's .004678 cents per mile.

Terry

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
i have a couple of questions for terryandrene. you have probably explained in another post but could you give your reasoning for gas over diesel? also how much idle time is on that gas engine with all those miles? thanks in advance for your response!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
First, I idle a lot. Sometimes all night if it's cold and Rene' isn't along so we can swap body heat. With the cost of fuel, I sometimes wonder why I just didn't geta motel room. I burn 8/10 gal per hr. at idle.

I had two diesel Fords and really liked them but the expense of rebuilding the transmission twice in each one was more than I wanted to cope with in the curtrent GMC gas van. WhenI bought the diesels, the payback was about 3 and 1/2 years, given the prices of fuels. So, I had a year or so with increased profits which the tranny jobs soon ate-up. I bought the Gas van, my second, because at the time of purchase commital the amortization favored the gas over diesel for the five years anticipated ownership. I think it's back to favoring the diesels.

Terry

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Something tells me it will have horns on the hood (or shake a lot of freight if used)

I have a diesel ford van. And I'll bring it to the quickly lube. But I watch them like a hawk. I probably should have brought my own oil. But I have watched techs reach for the 5W30 gun and pump 5 quarts in and want to start the truck (hey buddy, your about 16 quarts short! and that is the WRONG oil) also they never seem to fill the filter before installing (I always make them).

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
I would like to recomend Valvoline instant oil change to you guys with deisels. The ones I visit locally, and the one I used to be a manager of, would always fill the filter with oil, check the dipstick to make sure its at least at the full mark BEFOR starting, and top it off after they check for oil pressure. Another thing I like about them, is they will also do fluid top offs for free inbetween oil changes. I loved changing the oil on deisels when I worked there, pull the drain plug out, smoke a cig, make a phone call, and by then it MIGHT be done draining LOL.

And Terry and Rene, and other gassers out there, synthetic oil changes are more expensive. But I have found a small loop hole in this system. Wal-Mart offers Synthetic oil changes with the branded oil (pennzoil or quakerstate) for 30.99, and all other brands for 32.99. I used Mobil 1 in all my vahicles, and get it changed at Wal-mart for the cost saving. The only real issue I have with Wal-mart, you have to check your oil befor you leave to make sure it is actually full, and the underside techs seem to overtighten the drain plugs, and lastly, you have to remind them to greese the zerks on your suspension, or watch them like a hawk. They stripped out my drain plug on my Cadillac.

Terry, Rene, call me sometime, we need to do lunch...

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
< The only real issue I have with Wal-mart, you have to check your oil befor you leave to make sure it is actually full, and the underside techs seem to overtighten the drain plugs, and lastly, you have to remind them to greese the zerks on your suspension, or watch them like a
hawk. They stripped out my drain plug on my Cadillac. >

Similar thing happened to my stepson's car at Walmart. The service technician stripped the threads on the oil pan, then tried to Mickey Mouse the drain plug into the oil pan with some type of adhesive silicone, it lasted part of the day and it came loose when stepson's wife was driving. Luckily, she stopped immediately and they had it towed to our house so we could check it out. Anyway, long story short, Walmart paid for new oil pan, stepson has three free oil change certificates, and a gift check worth $100 at store. Hopefully, no more damage was done to engine, but that was the best Walmart was going to do for them. Smart thing they did to stop vehicle immediately when oil light came on. Has run good with no notice of harm for about six months now <fingers still crossed>.

Larry Badger
Plainwell, Michigan
Future expediting company driver
Stay-at-home Dad, 2000-
25 years self-employed in landscaping business