Strange insurance question. What's your opinion. My front wheel fell off

kamilski

Active Expediter
So as I was driving my freightliner m2 today, my wheel just came off. It flew 200 yards and my truck fell onto the road and came to a stop. Thank god neither I or anybody else got injured.
I towed the truck to a shop and waiting for an estimate as we speak.
My question is. Since I have a full coverage commercial insurance from progressive. Will that be covered under my policy?
It seems to me it would since if same thing happened in a car and you crashed or simply busted your axles it would. What do you think?!

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I don't know for sure but it might have to do with why the wheel came off. Had the wheel recently been removed for some reason or did the bearings fail?

kamilski

Active Expediter
I'm pretty sure it was the bearings failure. I haven't done any work on it in a recent time so yeah.
I actually called progressive. Lady who created the claim for me wasn't able to answer this question. She told me that someone from the commercial claims will contact me today to go over everything with me.
I personally would think that if a wheel falls off on a car and you damage the car by hitting a wall or the ground and your bumper falls of or a fender gets damaged they should pay for it.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I'm pretty sure it was the bearings failure. I haven't done any work on it in a recent time so yeah.
I actually called progressive. Lady who created the claim for me wasn't able to answer this question. She told me that someone from the commercial claims will contact me today to go over everything with me.
I personally would think that if a wheel falls off on a car and you damage the car by hitting a wall or the ground and your bumper falls of or a fender gets damaged they should pay for it.

Yes ,they should pay for the damage .

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Do what???

You didn't say if there was any Body Damage to your truck..........

If so.......Like if the corner of the box got damaged......or it blew out your front fender.....then that's an iffy Claim. But, could very well be covered under your Comprehensive Coverage.

From what I'm gathering in your OP.....you seem to think your Insurance should cover a cost that arouse from your Negligence to properly Maintain your truck.

Question I have is.......Are you wanting your Insurance Company to pay for the "Mechanical Work" needed - IE - Replace the tire that came off and related mechanical issues that came from when the tire came off......................or are you wanting them to pay for actual Body Damage repair that was caused when that tire came off???

Mechanical Work......Not Only NO......But Hell No..................That would be like someone else wanting their Insurance Company to pay for a New Engine in their Truck or Car that Blew cause they didn't change the oil for 85,000 miles..............

Body Damage.......Maybe.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Did wheel and hub both come off or just wheel?
If Im not mistaken the M2s have just 1 nut holding wheel bearing in place..Someone can correct me if I am wrong. No locking nut or washer to insure bearing nut does not back off. But Im not totally sure. Its been allmost 3 years since mine where off..
If everything looks like it is a clean break and still dripping in oil I would also look for an insurance claim for the repairs..Not saying I would get it but I would try everything to get claim thru.
Even the Purdy lil insurance lady will be able to spot wheter this was operator error at first glance..Doesnt take much to see a bearing that size was run dry on oil or ran loose for any lenght of time.
Assuming he is talking about a hub falling off,,Im leaning towards or at least hoping this was a parts failure as the operator should have felt something before the wheel (hub) got to the point of falling off.
A broken wheel can be caused by road conditions also..

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The bearing is held on by 1 large nut and keeps from backing off by a washer with bent over tabs if its still there the nut I'd say bearing failed I doubt insurance would cover failure but they body damage

moose

Veteran Expediter
Catch22 here.
do you have on hand an Police accident report ?
if so,
this will show on your driver record {because of the tow}.
but also, if there's an accident report, then the Insurance adjustor can't hide.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Your daily pre-trip inspection showed no issues with the wheel, (rim) or lugnuts?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When were these bearings last maintained??? That will be important if push comes to shove. If you can show regular maintenance it will be a lot better than if it shows that you never looked at it from when it was new. I would expect the insurance adjuster to ask about this.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I've heard of running your wheels off, but always thought it was just a saying.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Is this thread a yank?

I'm in the very lengthy process of my engine being replaced. I maintained it painstakingly. Why would any insurance company be involved in paying for it? Some of the answers here have left me scratching my head....and worse.....

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Somone runs into you, or you ditch the truck to avoid running over a human being and it results in your truck being damaged then youre insurance should kick in, Its highly unlikely you did not notice something was wrong thats a maintenance issue, bearing, spindle, loose wheel your fault. Face it youre looking at a few grand when its done but your insurance should not pay for your failure to maintain the truck.

Bob Wolf.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So as I was driving my freightliner m2 today, my wheel just came off. It flew 200 yards and my truck fell onto the road and came to a stop. Thank god neither I or anybody else got injured.
I towed the truck to a shop and waiting for an estimate as we speak.
My question is. Since I have a full coverage commercial insurance from progressive. Will that be covered under my policy?
It seems to me it would since if same thing happened in a car and you crashed or simply busted your axles it would. What do you think?!

Normally they shouldn't pay, it's not an accident but a mechanical problem.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

kamilski

Active Expediter
So here's the scoop guys.
I hit a huge pothole right before this happened. The mechanics told me that might have been the cause of the seal and bearing breaking in a relatively short time.
Insurance came out and said that basically they will not cover the bearing itself since you could look at it as mechanical issue. However whatever got damaged from truck hitting the road gets fully covered. After all. The bearing and labor is around a 100-150 bucks. Total cost of repair was over 2500 so minus deductible I'm getting it paid for.
Also I forgot to mention that this bearing had 15k miles on it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The bearing had 15,000 miles on it.

I would think you may have a claim against whoever sold/ installed that bearing.
Improper instal I would think would lead to this failure in this short period of time.
You should get your deductible,down time, and out if pocket expense.

Deville

Not a Member
So here's the scoop guys.
I hit a huge pothole right before this happened. The mechanics told me that might have been the cause of the seal and bearing breaking in a relatively short time.
Insurance came out and said that basically they will not cover the bearing itself since you could look at it as mechanical issue. However whatever got damaged from truck hitting the road gets fully covered. After all. The bearing and labor is around a 100-150 bucks. Total cost of repair was over 2500 so minus deductible I'm getting it paid for.
Also I forgot to mention that this bearing had 15k miles on it.

It appears the Insurance did it's job. Better to lay out $150 than the full amount for repairs. Sounds like $2500 in damages IS a pretty good figure, it seems to me it could have been much worse.

Did you not feel or hear any grinding before the failure?