straight trucks without sleeper

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
Is it possible to convert straight trucks without sleepers to DOT approved sleepers, without going broke. It is difficult to find expediters in my area (Florida). Are these trucks tractors with a 24' box?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Yes. However its easiest to sell the box and buy a smaller one and sleeper. Or get out of fl and buy one in another state.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks. Are you saying the sleeper would be connected to the box?

Nope. If its got a 26 foot box you buy a smaller box. Say 20 feet and use the 6 feet for a sleeper connected to the cab. The dot is very picky about sleepers build in to the box.

The easiest way is just to buy a truck setup the way you want.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
He's talking about putting a regular sleeper on the truck and a shorter box.

It is possible to build a sleeper into a cargo box. There is a company out here that I used to see with that set up quite a bit. I don't remember who it was now though. If you do decide to do it this way, the first thing you need to do is educate yourself on the DOT regulations for the partition.There is a regulation on how much force the partition has to be capable of withstanding.

It is an option that I have considered. It would only work for a solo driver since the sleeper is part of the box and fastened to the frame (no air ride on the sleeper).

The correct way to build something like this would be to buy a new box with a factory built partition at your desired depth from the nose of the box. You would have to have a boot installed between the truck cab and the nose of the box for access to the sleeper. But, then you could have a LOT of room to work with for a sleeper.

The 2nd worse problem I see with the setup is that if you don't get some kind of fairing or something on the cab of the truck, the front of that box is going to kill your fuel mileage.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I built my first expeditor I got a great deal on a 26' box. The body company cut it down to a 20' box for $1000 . A 63" used sleeper can be had as cheap as $750 or so. If you shop hard you can find very nice bigger sleepers in the $5-7000 range. Good luck. Plenty of old expedite trucks available. Look at the free classifieds here. Nice trucks sell quickly. Older trucks, if you can use one,offer low. You can always raise your offer.

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
I spoke to the body shop at Freightliner and they gave me a rough end quote of <10,000. He said it would not be cost effective for the year of my trucks and it would not increase the value very much (it would however increase the value for me). Back to square one, Ive got two trucks, maybe I can sell them and buy one nice expediter.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I believe the yellow trucks are being built in a building beside the Detroiter truck stop, in the former Alumin Bunk building.

Sent from my DROID X2

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I spoke to the body shop at Freightliner and they gave me a rough end quote of <10,000. He said it would not be cost effective for the year of my trucks and it would not increase the value very much (it would however increase the value for me). Back to square one, Ive got two trucks, maybe I can sell them and buy one nice expediter.

What kind of trucks do you have? Specs? It's very likely that if your trucks were built as local/regional delivery trucks, they are not spec'd out right to do this kind of work anyway. Fuel mileage is the first concern. You need to be capable of 9mpg minimum or you would be better off trading.

If I already owned the trucks, was starting new in the business, and the trucks are spec'd right, I would definitely build a sleeper into the box. You could probably talk to a box manufacturer and have them install a DOT legal partition in your existing box, then build from there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Is it possible to convert straight trucks without sleepers to DOT approved sleepers, without going broke. It is difficult to find expediters in my area (Florida). Are these trucks tractors with a 24' box?

Yes you can but why would you with the used truck market still saturated.

Finding a truck is not like finding a car, you will have to travel for it. Doing all this to a truck could end up being a nightmare.

By the way, with a 24 foot box you can have a 72 inch sleeper on the truck.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Another option for him to consider would be to find a moving truck with a sleeper built into the cab, or a sleeper already built into the box. Search on TruckPaper.com as well for sleepers and older trucks that are being parted out. You can find a nice sleeper for well under 5,000. You can find a nice sleeper for 1,500, but carefully inspect it.