Straight truck vs van

ewilfong

Active Expediter
Starting in today's economy and new regs and hours of service are you better off running a van or s/t truck?? Also cost and maintenance difference between the two are considerably different..

Hardluck

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Starting in today's economy and new regs and hours of service are you better off running a van or s/t truck?? Also cost and maintenance difference between the two are considerably different..

Hardluck
There are to many van's out there and not enough freight. If you have the resources and do things right Straight Truck is the way to go,although being a single driver does limit you,it always has. Team is the way to go. You need every advantage you can get.

guido4475

Not a Member
Lmao....i knew that woild make someones day..lol..but in all reality, it's in the inside that matters the most anyway.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lmao....i knew that woild make someones day..lol..but in all reality, it's in the inside that matters the most anyway.

If you say so. If my eyes aren't attracted to the outside my ears don't listen to what's on the inside.

ewilfong

Active Expediter
Ok new vs used ? just lost my a_ _ on a used century class class 8 last year to the tune of 20,000.00 in repairs before i could unload it. I see a lot of freightliners are being used but have a bad taste still for that brand.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ok new vs used ? just lost my a_ _ on a used century class class 8 last year to the tune of 20,000.00 in repairs before i could unload it. I see a lot of freightliners are being used but have a bad taste still for that brand.

Unless you are very mechanical and have access to a good shop at a decent rate, I'd highly recommend a straight truck. As a driver for an owner.
Let the owner make the calls and cover the costs on repairs.
Run hard,make money. Try to work up to better owners that can replace the truck every five years.

guido4475

Not a Member

In all of the years that I have been expediting, (Since 89) I can honestly say that a Paccar product (Kw, Peterbuilt) has been the most dependable and durable trucks I have owned. Sure, they are more expensive than the rest, both new and used, but they are far more superior in many ways than the rest.

If it was me, And I was to go that route again, I'd get one of TMC's used black peterbuilt's, with the 119 inch hood, because they spec'd them out to be lightweight, but yet decent power, and they have an awesome maintenance program. The expeditor services trucks I have mixed feelings about, even though they are spec'd out nicely.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't the TMC give you a large block cat ?
And the Exp Services give you a small block cat ?
IF you could get a Pete Or KW with a Detroit I'm sure I'd be in one.
That's not to say I'm unhappy with my Volvo powered Volvo.
It's just saying I'm a major Detroit fan.

guido4475

Not a Member
Wouldn't the TMC give you a large block cat ?
And the Exp Services give you a small block cat ?
IF you could get a Pete Or KW with a Detroit I'm sure I'd be in one.
That's not to say I'm unhappy with my Volvo powered Volvo.
It's just saying I'm a major Detroit fan.

The Detroit engine, especially the series 60, was a very good fuel efficient engine. The TMC trucks are running like c-12's or 13's, last I knew of. I think Expeditor services are running the c-10, but I could be mistaken. Only bad thing about a cat is the not so good fuel ecomomy, and if they break, ya better have deep pockets.I have always been a huge fan of Cummins.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ok. Bad fuel economy and expensive to fix.
And that would be the route you'd take ?
I was leased to TMC. They spec them nice. They keep them clean. They turn them quick.
I never got the impression they were maintained any better than any other fleet. They also are a training company that does flat bed work.
Rookies + off pavement deliveries = truck I wouldn't think would be at top of my list.
They look nice.
Harold, the owner, will tell you it's all about image.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I sold a D unit Sterling with a Cat in it to a man in NC. I saw him year before last at the Expo still running. Had over a million miles on it and hasn't touch it.
Cats are fine engines if you know Cat engines. If you don't stay away from them. TMC is turning their fleet now and getting ISX Cummins with super 15 trannys. Pretty nice rigs but again expensive.
cv's well some do well and others not so well. Depends on your company and where you live mostly. If your just starting out Drive for someone else for awhile and see if this is your gig then get out on your own.

ewilfong

Active Expediter
so, I better off stretching a road tractor (kw,pete, international)for a s/t then buying a freightliner already specked out or try and find a fleet owner somehow?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have already cut your teeth in a S/T and plan to stay in this business Id do that. Besides depending on the setup live tandum drives 24 foot box, you can haul nearly 25,000 lbs.