Straight Truck versus Tractor Trailer?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, I have question...I drive a straight right now. I haul freight for a large co. with 2 cats in it's logo-but I won't mention names. Smile! Anyways, I haul freight with a truck that's equipped with a tag axle and lift gate and I carry my own pallet jack as well. I rarely use all that.
I do run solo though, and I know that makes a difference on the loads I get.
The question is how often does a tractor pull a "Full" 53' trailer in expediting? Does a solo tractor driver make more or less that a solo straight truck driver?

I'm considering on buying a freightliner mid-roof sleeper and adding a custom 60" to 100" sleeper on the back (after stretching the frame ofcourse) and doing that.
I've seen 1 mid-roof shaker done up like that where they've gone and kept the 72" integral sleeper but went ahead and cut a hole in the back wall and put in a walk-thru boot into a custom what looked to be about a 120" sleeper box, which is nice, but too much really (in my opinion that is-though I bet it would be nice no doubt).
I have a custom 90" bunk right now (on a straight truck) and I've figured that with a custom 96" to 100" sleeper that would be perfect and not too heavy or make the truck too long to make it hard to turn.

Main question is: does a 53' trailer get "full" pulling expediting and as a solo where is the best place to be? Team as well, who makes more where? Tractor or straight truck? thanks, Bob

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My opinion is that you would make more with a TT. You would have more flexability in slow freight lanes to get out. Especially the west cost. The down side of this is that your expenses will be considerably more. I would ask the recruiters how much that difference is. Then you would have to weigh up which is better for you. Since you don't own your truck, the other option is to drive for a TT owner for a short period and see what happens. Just keep in mind that historically, summer will be slower than the last several months.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree with DaveKC.

In this business it's all about opportunities. The more you have the more you make.

Not to mention when slow times come all the general freight you can haul - just to make it back to an expediting area.

However, I don't think it would be worth it - without a co-driver.

IMHO.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like you have thought about this quite a bit! One thing that bothers me, with the wheelbase you'll need for the sleeper of 90" behind your sleeper cab, your going to be overlength with that 53 foot trailer. If you can get away with a 48 foot trailer you fall under an exemption from way back in the early 80's called "The surface transportation act of america"..You better check out your length restrictions before putting a lot of $$$ into something you can't use... Please keep us posted to what you decide to do. We would love to see that big sleeper setup! The bigger the sleeper the better!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My wife and I drive a straight truck. We have yet to meet a tractor/trailer expediter (E-unit) that has a lower gross income than we do. But we stick with straight trucks because it's not only about the money. We got into expediting for the lifestyle too. A straight truck gives us the ability to park pretty much anywhere an RV can park. That gives us mobility to take full advantage of the tourist opportunities trucking can provide.

If money is the primary concern, I believe you'll net out the most as a tractor/trailer expediter (assuming good business management practices). If mini-vacations between are of interest, a straight truck has its advantages.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, thanks for the info. Yes, thats the thing I'm fighting with, I'm most certain I can make more money with a tractor... however I give up alot when it comes to manueverability and parking. I enjoy the fact that I can go where most big trucks would have difficulty getting to with a trailer attached and it's nice to be able to go places and sight see when you're on layovers.
I've thought about goin' ahead as well though and doing a straight truck up with a custom 20 foot cargo box (since 22 foot is rarely rarely used, let alone 18 foot) and adding a nice 100" plus sleeper with full ammenities.
I'm still thinkin' up ideas for a truck though. I know one thing, I will be getting a used truck, with a walk-thru, and a sleeper of no less than 84" in length. I've figured out how to put a full bathroom into a sleeper of 90 to 96" and still have some space.
My thoughts of a 20 foot cargo box though would allow me to have a custom cargo box (standard sizes of cargo boxes are 16, 18, 22 and 24 ft.) and a larger sleeper.

Well, I'll be hittin' the road again tomorrow (Sunday) sometime and since I've not yet gotten myself a laptop I will be without the internet for bit-though I do try to get online at the internet kiosks. Well, thats all for now, ya'll be safe out there and thanks for the info. Later, Bob

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are quite a few companies that do a shower and bathroom ect. in a 96" sleeper. Quite a few were at the Mid America show. Since you are with Panther I can tell you we have had no problems with running. We run a 125" sleeper and a 18 ft box. I can only think of a couple of times where we had ever got close to having it filled.