Straight truck to tractor trailer

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
In talking with a friend today who is also a straight truck operator a hypothetical situation was brought up.
If a straight truck driver were to purchase a tractor and trailer would any carrier lease them on without recent experience? This driver has a class A CDL and more than 3 years OTR experience. And experience in a tractor trailer some 30 years ago.
If this driver were to get his own authority would anyone contract with him?
This topic was brought up due to the possible purchase of a TT at a great price.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Getting his own authority. Not always a blessing. The other question could be answered by a quick phone call to any carriers he may be interested in. Recently some of the more desirable carriers have put in new age limits on equipment .

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The truck is a 2008 KW. The trailer is a 2009 step deck. The sale is due to the death of the O/O who was my friends uncle.
He is thinking about buying it for what is owed, which is very little.
The question he has is what would he do with it other than resell it?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the uncle had family he should sell it and give them the profits. Otherwise, if he sells it at a profit, he can't lose on it in the future. Call Idtrans. He's always looking for a deal and has connections to work that type of equipment I believe. How do you become a millionaire in trucking? Start with 2 million dollars, buy a truck and trailer.......

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If he is running on his own the biggest obstacle is finding a broker that will use a new company. Once they see he can do the job he can be a little more picky with who he works with. There are carriers that will pay a very good percentage for someone with his own trailer, he may want to try that first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If the uncle had family he should sell it and give them the profits. Otherwise, if he sells it at a profit, he can't lose on it in the future.

No living relatives except my friend and his brother.
He was thinking of selling his straight truck and giving the flat bed a try.
It would be a shame to give it back to the bank with so little owed. I am not sure of the amount but the payments were around 2k and there is only about 10 left.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
He's going to buy it if he can. He has to arrange it with the trustee of his uncles will. He just doesn't know what to do with it. As asked in the OP, would anyone let him run it? Or would he better off selling it at a profit and pocketing the cash?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Don't know about in the expediting but if he leases it with a big time carrier they may if he does 2 week refresher to prove he can do it. England,prime and swift all offer refreshers to name a few.

Or sell the trailer for say $7500 or so and get an 08 kw for $2500 and put a driver in it until he regains some experience.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.616629,-90.779146

paullud

Veteran Expediter
He would just need to find insurance that will cover him and find the brokers that will deal with a new company.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Could always get it and put a driver in it at a expedite company and sell the trailer ?

Sent from my ADR6350 using EO Forums

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I agree with pallud. If he can get insurance, experience won't matter that much to a carrier. Ability to get insurance will be the determining factor in this situation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The truck is a 2008 KW. The trailer is a 2009 step deck. The sale is due to the death of the O/O who was my friends uncle.
He is thinking about buying it for what is owed, which is very little.
The question he has is what would he do with it other than resell it?

If he can get the truck for under $30k and the trailer for under $15, then he is three steps ahead of everyone. As mentioned, once you get the insurance, the fight to get onto a carrier is almost over. I would take the truck and make money with it, especially with some of the flat bed work happening in the mid section of the country.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If he could hire a co driver with several years of verifiable experience would a carrier except them. That way he could gain experience and make money.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
That would be up to carriers discretion. Whether or not the company offers training is another factor.

Be best in my opinion to do a refresher. He can obtain insurance through alot of ins companies and then should have no problems. That's how alot of the overseas (Indian) guys do it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.295076,-90.829672

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
he just needs to take a refresher course ata truck driving school,then almost any company he wants to lease the truck and trailer on wiith will take him.Get in toudh with the companies doing the jet engines,although,you would need to run team with them

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If he could hire a co driver with several years of verifiable experience would a carrier except them. That way he could gain experience and make money.

If he isn't going to get his own authority and sign on instead most carriers will want him to take a refresher course which most driving schools offer.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
He found a small company in Missouri that has company drivers and owner operators. The said they would sign him on and have a company driver run with him for 2-3 weeks doing 200-300 mile runs. They seemed to be more worried about his ability to tie down and tarp the freight.
He can get the truck and trailer in about a month for around $21,000 cash.