steer tire mileage

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just curious as to which brand and what mileage everyone is getting. post trk type, tire brand and mileage. what brought this to mind is my mileage. i have a 05 frtlnr. 112 w/michelan xza3 steers currently w/315,000. tread depth is 8&9/32 at present and i do have centramatics and align the trk or have it checked every 6 mo. unless i notice a problem.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I replaced the factory Good Years on my '07 M2 106 at 196k. There was still good tread, but the cupping was getting bad. I think that the low weight of the steer contributes to this. I have Centramatics and I'm probably going to go with the Tru-Balance centering sleeve. It centers the drum and the wheel on the hub. A friend of mine just did this and says it's a remarkable product. Beautiful in it's simplicity.

guido4475

Not a Member
On the 10-wheeler I used to have, I ran 16-ply continental steer tires.What a difference it made for the handling and overall performance.Plus, it was right at 14,200# full of fuel empty on the steers.Too much truck to be made a 10-wheeler.If I was to order a new truck, I would get 12r 22.5 tires on the front,which require the 1-inch wider rim.Prevost uses these on their coaches and rv conversions.Centramatics are awesome, along with those centering sleeves.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that was the problem i was having being right at 12000 empty on the steers. b4 these tires which are a little heavier duty than a typical steer, i would eat up the tread or cup them. thought i had a front end problem but there was none. tires just were not heavy enough for the weight. have had no issues w/these and have done no fr. end work. just my normal alignment and shock replacement and lube. did have the 1/2 spring on the factory taper leaf system replaced by a heavier full length tapered spring. made a great difference in the front end stance and the ride, also the way the trk. handles rough road conditions and bridge decks.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'm probably going to go with the Tru-Balance centering sleeve.

There are other product in the market , that do just the same thing ,
don't know about $ price .
my truck came with log nuts , 2 of them at each wheel have a slide that centers the wheel on the hub .
just like in a car.
you just need to torque them first , before you tight the rest of the logs .
obviously , it will not work on a dual .

guido4475

Not a Member
that was the problem i was having being right at 12000 empty on the steers. b4 these tires which are a little heavier duty than a typical steer, i would eat up the tread or cup them. thought i had a front end problem but there was none. tires just were not heavy enough for the weight. have had no issues w/these and have done no fr. end work. just my normal alignment and shock replacement and lube. did have the 1/2 spring on the factory taper leaf system replaced by a heavier full length tapered spring. made a great difference in the front end stance and the ride, also the way the trk. handles rough road conditions and bridge decks.

Before I got rid of the s/t I was also strongly considering Donvel air-ride for the front as well,have heard nothing but good about this system.Well worth the money, especially for a team operation, makes sleeping alot more enjoyable going down the road.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My truck came with Michelins,200000 on 1st set,got $100 for trade in each tire,and went to the GoodYears
Got 197--- miles on them,no trade in,went back to Michelins,another 200000,miles
hevw Bridgestones now,right one had blow out.Had fixed on roadside,company didnt have Bridgestones,Put on Firestone,but different tread design.
Bridgestone also wouldnt stand behind the tire that blew out
Ill be going back to Michelin
As afr as Centramatics,My truck doesnt ride any better with them than it did with the powder called Equal.My tire wear isnt any better and if didnt get such a good deal on the Michelins a couple years ago,I probabaly wouldn't have bought them in the first place
There is a problem witth the powder though,to check your tires,you must blow a shot of air into them to get the powder out of the valve,or you will get a false tire pressure reading
Thed only tru way to check inflation is with a tire pressure guage,tire thumper wont give you the tire pressure