Steer Axle Upgrade

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need some input on upgrading my steer axle to carry more weight. I have a long hood Class 8 tandem axle. Truck is heavy on the steer. I've put up with it for a few years now. But would like to remedy the problem. I am registered for 52K. But as I have always understood it I can only have 34k on the drive and 12k on the steer. Which would not let me even touch the 52k gross. Truck now has 2 ply springs on the steer. If I put 3 ply springs and heavy haul steer tires on. Would I legally be able to run with more than 12k on my steer. I talked to a heavy haul driver the other day. And he said that this was how he upgraded his 12k steer axle. I thought about adding a pusher axle. But really don't want a tri-axle. Also the cost of the springs,tires and new wheels would be alot less cost. Would this be a legal remedy?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The spring idea is good and going to "H" rated tires will put you in the 14,000lbs range. The rule of thumb is 6lbs per square inch for tire rating. If you go to the jumbo front tires you would be able to carry in the 18000lbs range but the ride will suck and tire life is dismal! I would stick with 11R 22.5 or 24.5 and go for the "G" rating. You will need a body modification sticker attached to the ID tag on your doorto show the rerating of your vehicles ability to haul the extra load. One other thing would be to load heavy on the back and light in nose, this acts like a fulcrum and will unload freight weight off of steer axle, give it a try. Good luck

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I appreciate your input Glen. I have 16ply H-rated tires on now. But I don't have the re-rate sticker. I assume if I get the springs put on. The spring/frame shop. Would be able to give me the re-rate sticker? Any suggestions on where I may be able to have this done. Once again thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A dealer or suspension shop should be able to help. I would agree with Glen that I would not go to wider tires. As mentioned, much rougher ride and you will take a bath on fuel economy. My other suggestion would be to move your fuel tanks further back on your frame rails. Not too terribly expensive and you will be surprised how much that will change your weight ratio.
Davekc

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are many states where you are not permitted to scale much more than 12k on the front axle, regardless if it's rated for more weight. Many of the dump trucks and such you see with 14-16k front axles aren't running with them loaded that heavy down the interstates where they will be scaled.
-Weave-

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Talked to the frame shop by my house. Axle can easily be upgraded to 14k. But in the wonderful state of PA where i have my truck registered. They said I would have to apply for a reconstructed title. Due to modifying the weight rating of the existing axle. Really makes no sense to me. Since, I am not looking to change my current 52K gvw. Just allow more weight to fall on the steer. Seems stupid to me.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I checked the link. But if you go to the FMCSA website and read REG 658.17 paragraph f It says: States may not limit steering axle weights to less than 20,000 pounds or the axle rating established by the manufacturer. Of course this is on the Interstate highway system. So I am interpreting that to say if your steer axle is rated at say 14,000 pounds you can legally have 14,000 on the axle. If you were limited to 12k Why would you buy a dump truck with a 18k or 20k steer axle??

Toes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Moving fuel tanks back

would be your cheapest easy fix. I'll agree with Dave there. How much weight are you wishing to dump from the frontend? Given that figure, we may have better suggestions. And what type of tractor is it? Moving weight...ie, fuel tanks, batterys would be very effective.

Toes

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Moving fuel tanks back

Would like to dump a 1000 pounds. Truck is a Freightliner Classic XL. 11,300 pounds with dual 140 gal tanks full of fuel. I think I am going to move the tanks back on the frame rails and move the drives up about a foot or so. Or Move the drives back to where they were, when truck was a tractor. And add a Tag. Cause if I add a Pusher, it would only add weight to the steer. Whick would cause me to have to run with it down all the time.