STAYING WARM IN WINTER

G

HI EVERYBODY!!! THIS IS SOMETHING I WAS WONDERING ABOUT. WHAT DO YOU DO TO STAY WARM IN THE WINTER WHEN YOU HAVE A SLEEPER ON YOUR TRUCK? DO YOU HAVE TO RUN YOUR MOTOR ALL NIGHT?

G

We have a Durothem system.. It is a system that allows you to run a heater/air conditoner and a/c power in your sleeper without ideling your truck. All you do is either idle the truck or drive it for 2 hours and it provides power for up to 16 hours. The heat pump works until it gets to 32 degrees and then we idle. But the a/c power is great you can actually use household appliances in your truck instead "bending over" to a truckstop and buy warmed over RV products

G

What model is that durotherm unit Wild Bill? Where did you get it? And the big one, How much did it cost!

G

I'm not sure what model it is. We got it when the truck was bought the dealer installed it (for the truck info look under cool trucks its currently the truck of the month) It costs around $3,000.00 It works ok but if I had my choice I would prefer a generator.

G

Hi Linda, this is Jim Bunting, Canadian Field Editor, and this subject will be fully covered in an article in our upcoming November edition. I have done some in-depth research of various products, and have come up with an item that will safely, and ecconomically heat either a B-van, or a D-truck interior for a cost of $3 dollars per night. This will not, repeat, not keep the engine warm, but that can be solved with a 100 foot extension cord, and a good block heater. Most buildings have exterior power outlets, and I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Please read our November edition for the details on this great alternative to burning fuel all night, to say nothing of the hours you are taking off the life span of your engine. The item is made in the USA, patented, and is specifically designed for use in enclosed spaces. Got your attention have we? Stay tuned for the November edition. Comments Please.

G

My wife is sort of heavy set. I try to have her travel with me in the real cold weather. Maybe this is why all our children are born in September??

G

Linda,there are catalytic heaters made that use propane but do not have a flame,It is achemical reaction between the propane and something else,so there is no oxygen depletion or carbon monoxide.On a large scale they are sold as cargo heaters that can be put into a trailer or box.On a smaller scale they are sold in RV places for rv trailers.Run about $160 or so plus your propane..

G

what is the name of the magazine you are talking about.
I would be interested in knowing what product it is that would keep a cargo van warm at night.

G

Rich, as usual you have the right idea, but in this case the answer is a new product from Coleman. This is the Blackhawk propane catalytic heater, which is specifically desogned for heating enclosed spaces. As you said it uses a reaction between propane and platinum, and produces 3000 BTU per hour. The disposable 16 oz. propane cylinders are found in any camping supply store for approx $2 to $3, and the heater itself sells for $ 40 at any K Mart or Walmart. I have been using mine in my van and it works well, just keep one window open 1 inch to bring in replacement oxygen. The model number is 5033, and make sure you look for the label that says " for enclosed space use " Jim Bunting Field Editor Expedite Now. Com

G

OK Jim Bunting, I have been following your advice since I have
have been on this board, thanks. Now what is the name of this
magazine or publication and how do I get it. Keep up the good
work, advice from an experienced driver is what we all need.

G

Hi Linda, for two yrs of sleeping in my van in my bunk for the winter, the best way was to buy a below 0 degree sleeping bag. First I warm up the van then get dressed for bed, then I shut van off and jump in the sleeping bag. That worked well for me last winter. Even in the coldest weather, I was able to sleep through the night. I also heard of a propane run non flammable heater available through Kmart, Walmart, or a camping store. It is a disk which screws onto a propane can and is lite, but doesn't produce a flame, all that is needed is a small source of air like an open window for air circulation, It advertises to be totally safe inside a vehicle. Costs about 35 dollars. Take care and good luck Dianne

G

I drive for Roberts Express on the side I'm
one of rep's for tele flex canada out BC
if your intrested in a genset we have one of the
best also have a discount for Roberts Drivers and
people who belong to oodia, phone is 877-628-4328
working on one for view of this web site to. call for info
also keeps you warm in winter cool in summer

G

Tex, our on-line magazine is called Expedite Now, and it is available on the world-wide-web at this address: www.Expedite Now.com It is a place for expediters to learn from each other, as well as pass on new ideas and concepts. We hope you like it, and welcome feed-back by e-mail. Thanks, Jim Bunting, Field Editor.

G

Thanks Jim, bought the heater this week in Wal Markt. First
two nights it was too warm to use it, next two nights was
running all night and last night I was parked about 30 feet
from a propane tank. But I'm sure I'll get the chance to
evaluate it. By the way it was $44.00 plus tax as I recall.

G

It's called Coleman "Blackcat" catalytic propane heater. I bought mine from Wal-Mart for 44.95 and propane 16.4 oz. containers 2 for $3.50. I tried mine this past week and it worked great. The only problem is where you sit the heater. If you toss and turn in your sleep and your pillow lands on it you might get warmer than you hoped for. The grill only gets 850 degrees which is below most igniting levels....hopefully. The tank burns about 8 hours/there is no adjustment. If you can sleep in your bag without heat...just light this heater before you get up and you won't have to do it in the cold.

G

HERE'S AN UPDATE ON COLEMAN BLACKCAT HEATER. I WENT TO SLEEP WITHOUT THE HEATER BEING ON (NOT REAL COLD) AND STARTED IT THE NEXT MORNING ABOUT 6 AM. I WENT BACK TO SLEEP AND ABOUT 8 AM, I NOTICED IT WASN'T VERY WARM IN THE TRUCK. SOMEHOW THE HEATER WENT OUT AND THE TRUCK WAS FILLING UP WITH GAS! I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE, BUT, IF I HAD TURNED IT ON WHEN I WENT TO SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE, I MIGHT NOT BE WRITING THIS UPDATE NOW! OF COURSE, ON THE HEATER IT SAYS NOT TO SLEEP WITH THE HEATER ON. BE CAREFUL, IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE!

G

Regarding the larger systems for heating & cooling your truck. There are a number of different approaches. I have found the following GenSet/AC/Heater systems which sometimes also heat the truck engine and charge batteries. Aux, Rigmaster,Midwest power Generation, Pro Heat I.C.E.(Sold by the aboveTeleflex Rep I think)One from Indiana Custom Truck, Double Eagle Sleepers has their own and I have seen others. For heat & Cool only there are some from try Webasto and others. Heat only is avaiilable from Espar & several others, most burn diesel and heat the truck coolant or block also. One burns propane and heats the engine coolant only. As an RV tech I worked with catalytic heaters. Most should be permanently mounted(sometimes on a hinged board attached to the wall to direct heat)and run off a frame mounted LPG Cylinder for safety. " Platinum Cat" can be vented to the outside and "Olympic"
uses a ODS(Oxygen Depletion Sensor) to shut off before a dangerous level of oxygen depletion is reached. These units are not real cheap but I sell a lot of them as they are designed to be used in an RV while people are in it, sleeping or awake. Both automatically shut off the gas supply in case of flameout. @$450. should get them installed I think. The Dometic Heat pump/AC and Kwyatt system was referenced above and works pretty good. EH

G

WARNING; Those propane(LPG) appliances described above are mostly intended for hunting , fishing & working outdoors. NEVER for use in a closed space of any kind. They have NO provisions to protect you in case of flameout, tipping over or oxygen depletion. They may allow you to get a good nights sleep for the rest of eternity. PLEASE do not use them! Spend your money on an approved safe system, buy a sleeping bag, or get plugged in. You'll live longer. EH

G

I am one of the people that run my truck all night. I kick it up to about 1000 rpm. I have a heat pump in the sleeper, but below 32, it dosn't work too well. I have heater hose from engine hooked to coil in front of the heat pump and can use the thermostat in the sleeper to control the temp.