STAYING WARM IN WINTER

G

Deadhead, there is no way that the heater can go out. The gas is continuously flowing from the cylinder to the catalytic chamber, where the combustion takes place. When the gas in the cylinder is exhausted, then the heater stops working . I think what happened is that when you started the heater, you did not hold the control knob in the START position long enough, ie 15 seconds, or you did not move the control knob back to the RUN position after lighting the appliance. Either way, the equipment will only perform well if the operator follows the instuctions poperly. I repeat, once the unit is properly ignited, and the control knob is in the run position, there is no way that the gas can escape without being consumed in the catalytic process, period. Like anything else mechanical, READ the instuctions first. Jim Bunting...

G

As usual Jim is correct.I bought the catalytic heater in a K mart in Cambridge Ohio on a nasty day.It worked well and as a safety test when I got home I bought one of the cheap carbon monoxide detectors that change color when carbon monoxide is present. I then set the heater up in the truck ,cracked a window slightly and left it on all night. In the morning the detector had not changed color .If you do not consume oxygen,which this heater does not as there is no flame,you do not create by products..In the winter chemical companies such as PPG ship totes of paint which is flammable inside trucks that have large catalytic heaters to keep the paint from freezing.

G

First of all Linda, before we got our custom sleeper, the cheapest way to stay warm is with a bunk warmer. I have used one for years. On most occasion's I never have to run the truck except for about 20 minutes or so in the morning before getting up so the cab will warm up. You did not mention whether it was your truck or a company truck.
On another note, hey, Mr. Bunting, First, you did not name your magazine, and two, you might be able to find plug in's in Canada, but you cannot find external plug in sources in truckstops in the U.S., and if you are extremely lucky to find one, you had better not get caught being plugged into it without permission, or paying for it. You could be charged with theft.