SPRINTERS

truckerbuddy

Seasoned Expediter
i am going to buy a sprinter and i am want to buy a 158' wheel base what company is the best to work for with this sprinter I am with FEDEX CC now but they told me they will not sign on a sprinter because there is to many vans signed on with them now and not enough loads for them. also what do you hear about Panther do they keep there vans busy.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what city do you live in if you live in norfolk va area were looking for one more van here at egl
conway express 1 use them and tristate

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I talked to a lady with Panther for quite a while the other day. She is running tons of miles but she has zero refusals so she gets called on a lot. She is driving enough miles/hours that she'd be illegal if she had to log. I'm sure she's one of the top ones because of her willingness to run. Her van had a logo on it of top driver 2003 as I recall.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

C5BILL

Expert Expediter
I don't have a sprinter, but I do have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 Extended that is currently leased on with FECC that may be needing a driver or new owner. If interested, drop me a line.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi ,

I have not been on the message board for awhile....
However if you want to purchase a Sprinter...i can help you with the deal.......

We now have a franchise to sell them and I have delivered about 5 units already....

E-mail me with any questions........

I also have an upfitter than can build you bulkheads, etc.....

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

enforcer

Expert Expediter
Hi guys......my freind has a trucking company ...we are thinking of adding on a sprinter in late january ...is this a good idea and what can he expect for a income and could we do this as a team...who do you think would be a good company to sign on with if he does this....thanks Carl

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>we are thinking of adding on a sprinter... could we
>do this as a team... Carl

If you and a friend are thinking of teaming in a sprinter van I'd suggest a trial run beforehand using a walk in closet. You can put one cot in the closet and two folding chairs. You can leave the closet to make pit stops and to go to the fridge to put together a sandwich. You can also leave to go take a shower. Otherwise, for about a week, you spend 22 hours of each 24 together in that size space with the one cot.

Since expediting isn't like OTR where you are constantly rolling you may want an air mattress for the second guy. Otherwise you take turns in the cot like OTR drivers do.

I know there are plenty of teams in vans but I can't see doing that even with my best friend since grade school. For a married couple it could (notice could not would) be different and there are good success examples on here like Terry and Rene and others. Just keep in mind that most cells have more room for two convicts as well as having plumbing.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

enforcer

Expert Expediter
Hi guys.......we are all ready in the expeditor business we have two straight trucks ,we are thinking about the sprinter with the same type of sleeper our straight truck has ...i was wondering which company any of you would suggest....we are signed on with one now but want to check some other companys for the sprinter.....thanks Carl

Marty

Veteran Expediter
All the Sprinter sleepers I know of come with a 66" by 30" bed. If you are any taller than 5'6" you won't be able to stretch out. Just something to think about.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am not an owner of a Sprinter but one of my drivers looked very hard at buying a Sprinter with the sleeper. This turned out to be a very bad idea in that as it was explained to her it cut down on cargo space and therefore realy did not interest the companies she talked with. She was told and I have heard Sprinter drivers I know say that is why so many Sprinter drivers build their own special sleeping set ups that fold out of the way of freight. Please keep in mind I have no idea on this. I am only sharing what I have heard and been told by one of my past drivers.

The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I have Sprinters in service with my company...
advantages over a one ton van are
1. better fuel economy Sprinters average 22-26 mpg...factors affecting this are weight, speed driven, and wind (high profile catches more wind) average E-350 Ford 18 mpg
2. LWB models are 166" in length considerably longer than the extended vans... thus allowing 3 standard size skids to be loaded with room to spare
3. interior height is 72" allowing the majority of us to stand upright in the van
4. if converted correctly... alomost 14 feet of livable space when unloaded
5. because of the abiality to handle 3 skids... more loads are available at slightly higher rates
6. cost difference new to E-350 will be made up within the first year of ownership
7. Mercedes-Benz - nothing more needs to be said
disadvantages...
1. most Dodge dealerships have no idea how to service and do not stock many parts... including air and oil filters
2. when parts are needed they usually take 2-3 days and no one can tell you when or if they are coming
3. some older models have had EGR valve problems... the above mentioned problems will apply
4. more difficult to heat/cool the interior using only the standard heating air conditioning system...

Will I buy additional Ford E-350's or a like van by GM... NO

Would I buy additional Sprinters... YES

We have had two service related problems, both taking about a week to resolve... (stay away from FYDA in Youngstown...incompetent on this vehicle and disinterested management)... even with the down time the Sprinters earned about 20 more revenue that the Ford E-350s.

I am presently working with another individual on this site to alter our present conversion to make it even more effective. If we are able to make the conversion work, we will invest in additional Sprinters.

I cannot help with the question regarding what carriers sign on these vehicles...because I don't know.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
There was an article on here back in June of 2003, talking about the Bentz sleepers.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/2/581/printer

I like the idea of the B10/B30 conversions... the bunk is 76" long and folds down from the side. No good under load... but much better when empty then folding yourself up on a 66" bed, and it doesn't take up cargo room.

And... for the old custom vanners like myself, yes the custom touches are coming.. heh heh... they're making these kits in Germany, supposedly soon to be availible in the USA.

The body kit shown uses 8.5 x 18" wheels shod with 255/55 R18 tires with a 109 load rating, custom front grille, four exhaust end pipes and rear roof spoiler. There are also plans for a SLK style grille and hood and 20" rims.

Dreamer

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
good place to go if you need work on sprinter and in area
is greenford on military highway in norfolk they have 3 maint people
and all they do is work on sprinter there if phone book call ahead and need to make appointment if it is major