Sprinters and Speedco

vango

Expert Expediter
Has anyone used Speedco for Sprinter Mobil 1 synth.oil changes and oil analysis.Also the cost.I usually use a nearby Dodge Dealer that does good work,but it takes them about 2 hours as a rule and $105.00.I've had great luck with my '06 sprinter,156k mi.and absolutely no problems.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
The only time I tried to get my oil changed at a speedco was in Joplin, MO in june. I asked them if they could do an oil change on a Sprinter and they asked "whats that?". I made up my mind then that I would do it myself or take it to the dealer if I am out on the road.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Buy a Fumoto oil drain valve, and then at your next oil change have them replace the oil drain plug with the Fumoto valve. That will eliminate any worries of you stripping the threads when doing the oil change yourself out on the road. It also eliminates 98.4% of the mess associated with changing your own oil in the Sprinter.

Your next oil change can be done in the parking lot of a Flying J in 20 minutes, by you, and with essentially no mess. The correct oil filter cap wrench can be had at Advance Auto Parts, as well as the 1/4" socket drive if you don't have one already. The oil can be gotten at any Auto Zone. (When last I looked, Auto Zone carried the oil, but not that particular size of filter wrench, and Advance didn't carry the oil, but they did carry the correct wrench).

I haven't checked, but the oil filters can probably be found at an Auto Zone or Advanced, or NAPA. I buy 'em off eBay in cases of 10. Worst case is you go grab one at a dealer.

In the winter I carry a couple of jugs of kitty litter in case I need to get out of some snow. In the Spring the kitty gets the litter. I buy it in 3 gallon jugs, and I use one of those jugs to collect the used oil from the oil changes. It just barely fits under the Sprinter's bumper and the opening of the jug sits right next to the Fumoto valve's opening.

I take the used oil to Wal Mart, dump the jug, and then keep it for the next oil change.

Find a level surface on which to park. Pop the hood and loosen the filter cap with the filter cap wrench. Put the jug under next to the drain valve and open the valve, making sure none of the oil is spilled onto the parking lot. I actually use a drain hose and the Fumoto valve that has a nipple to make sure I can direct the oil flow where I want. As the oil is draining, remove the oil filter and place on some paper towels. With a was of paper towels in both hands, remove the filter from the filter housing, then remove the o rings using a knife or screw driver. Wipe the threads with a paper towel. Install the new o rings and the new filter onto the housing.

Once all the oil is drained, close the valve and put the cap back on the jug. Put the oil filter back into the engine, making sure to tighten it all the way. If you try to tighten it solely by hand, you'll have an oil leak. When it's at tight as you can get it by hand, turn with with the socket wrench about 1 or 1 1/2 more turns, until it really doesn't want to turn anymore.

Then add 9 quarts of oil to the crankcase.

Reset the ASSYST computer by...

1) Turn the key to the #2 position.
2) Press the MI button twice. Then, within 10 seconds of hitting the MI button twice...
3) Turn the key to the #0 (off, or key-out) position.
4) Press and hold in the MI button, and while holding it in, turn the key to the #2 position again, and keep holding the MI button in (for like 10 seconds) until you hear a confirmation beep.
5) Release all and yer done.

Check to make sure that the ASSYST was reset to 10,000. If not, do it all again. Sometimes it takes a few times.

Done. 20 minutes. And if you were careful, you didn't even need latex gloves.

Let the van idle for 15-20 minutes, or at the next fillup, and then check the oil level to see if you need to add the remaining 1/2 quart. Whether you do or not will depend on just how level the surface was when you did the oil change. If it wasn't level, there may have been half a quart still left in there that didn't drain out.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop