Sprinter Vans: Idle-Up or Shut Down?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They sure omitted an extensive list to what extended ideling can do to a sprinter. According to the article what they did do was ad a solution to one sliver of the problems that can arise from it. The troubling part is the statement it will be added to all expedite vans stoops offers adding a cost that solves only a small portion of problems idling causes.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im sure this added gadgetry is priced closely to the price of an espar and a generator, and ome more allarm or buzzer to annot the hell out of you.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking that whoever dreamed this little tidbit of a "fix" up needs to be taken out back behind the woodshed and just slapped silly:

"Let's say you're driving a Sprinter van and pull into a parking lot, and place the gear selector into either "Park" or "Neutral" -- within three seconds, an alarm will sound inside the cabin."

Things must be dull and boring over at Expediter Services and Stoops ... since it appears that they are going out of their way to have the Sprinter folks they deal with drop by and go postal ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
kind of obsolete already...the 2014's are whole different creature...new engine and drive train....they should have been on this in 07 when the problems really started....I'd say a little late to dinner....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Originally when I first ordered a 2011, there was a "high idle" and "variable idle" option available. The high idle was switch controlled. When on, the van would idle at 1800 rpms. The number 1800 couldn't get it verified. That's the number the dealer said, but wasn't 100% sure. The variable is what it implies up too 1800 rpms. There was no mention of the automatic shut down feature.

The price was somewhere around $600 for high and $900 for variable.

Vehicles ordered with ambulance, dog grooming or limousine pkgs included the high idle option. Yes there are specific use pkgs available for order. Of course that does not include finish out. Just options recommended for those uses. You won't find them on any web site. You gotta dig deep in the dealer manuals for the info and options included.

The problem I came across is not be able to find a dealer knowledgeable enough in special ordering these things that getting answers to specific questions on the pkgs was very time consuming.

For example, there are 3 different types of auxiliary heaters available. One of which is strictly engine preheat. The other 2, info was scarce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Originally when I first ordered a 2011, there was a "high idle" and "variable idle" option available. The high idle was switch controlled. When on, the van would idle at 1800 rpms. The number 1800 couldn't get it verified. That's the number the dealer said, but wasn't 100% sure. The variable is what it implies up too 1800 rpms. There was no mention of the automatic shut down feature.

The price was somewhere around $600 for high and $900 for variable.

Vehicles ordered with ambulance, dog grooming or limousine pkgs included the high idle option. Yes there are specific use pkgs available for order. Of course that does not include finish out. Just options recommended for those uses. You won't find them on any web site. You gotta dig deep in the dealer manuals for the info and options included.

The problem I came across is not be able to find a dealer knowledgeable enough in special ordering these things that getting answers to specific questions on the pkgs was very time consuming.

For example, there are 3 different types of auxiliary heaters available. One of which is strictly engine preheat. The other 2, info was scarce.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

I am not a Sprinter owner but just wondering: Did MB drop the ball when they built an engine that doesn't provide sufficient oil pressure at idle? If so could a boost pump be installed that could bring the oil pressure to acceptable levels? Golfournut addressed my second thought. And lastly, with all this engine shut downs, are you going to have maintenance issues with dry starts? It seems like you would need a pre-oiler or additives to reduce/eliminate dry start related problems.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a Sprinter owner but just wondering: Did MB drop the ball when they built an engine that doesn't provide sufficient oil pressure at idle? If so could a boost pump be installed that could bring the oil pressure to acceptable levels? Golfournut addressed my second thought. And lastly, with all this engine shut downs, are you going to have maintenance issues with dry starts? It seems like you would need a pre-oiler or additives to reduce/eliminate dry start related problems.

No one mentioned oil pressure?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
No one mentioned oil pressure?

Originally Posted by scottm4211
Idle stick
I prefer a cinder block it insuers max oil preasure.

Bob Wolf
RLENT and scottm4211 like this.
WARNING

Democrat = Commie, Liberal, Left Winger
Republican = Quasie Coservative, Right Winger

BOTH WINGS OF THE SAME BIRD OF PREY

I thought the comment about "cinder block" was because of oil pressure....what about dry starts? Could that create a problem??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh... Well bob was mistaken... We don't need idle for pressure ....that's not the reason...it is for heat and to keep exhaust cleared out.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh... Well bob was mistaken... We don't need idle for pressure ....that's not the reason...it is for heat and to keep exhaust cleared out.

The article in the open was about oil pressure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The article in the open was about oil pressure.

How bout that..I stand corrected...IF Oil pressure was a real problem imagine there wouldn't be so many million mile motors out there.... I think ES is barking up a dead tree. IMO

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If fleet ownership is the way of the future for sprinter vans then this switch will be useful. It protects the fleet owner's equipment by helping to control the habits of the driver. Owner operators will continue fighting the battle between idling costs and the weight of anti-idle solutions. It is interesting to see after decades of the No Idle fight that coming up with a way to idle is considered a solution.

Perhaps ES might help the cause by pushing the idea of a four wheel 3500.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If fleet ownership is the way of the future for sprinter vans then this switch will be useful. It protects the fleet owner's equipment by helping to control the habits of the driver. Owner operators will continue fighting the battle between idling costs and the weight of anti-idle solutions. It is interesting to see after decades of the No Idle fight that coming up with a way to idle is considered a solution.

Perhaps ES might help the cause by pushing the idea of a four wheel 3500.

eb

I read they do have 4x4 sprinters in Europe....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think that meant a srw 3500 not all wheel drive but maybe not.