Sprinter Van Question

markafd

Expert Expediter
I Need a little help from the sprinter owners I have a 2004 van keeps losing power and shuting down but restarts after sitting 5-10 min. with all the problemns these vans have someone has to of had this problemn also and if so what was your problemn. And I must ad I would neever recommend a sprinter only because of the service end.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I don't specifically have a Sprinter, but do run a cargo van. Any chance you got some bad gas? A drop of water hitting the fuel filter will cause you to lose power on most vehicles. Engine is hot, so the water in the fuel line evaporates within a few mintues. Truck restarts fine.

Also, how many miles do you have on it?

Drive Safe!

Jeff

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you have water in fuel line , look in your owners manuel and it will tell you how to drain water out of the fuel, also their are a fuel adv that you can put in fuel to take care of the water go to napa or autozone or some auto stores will have it

markafd

Expert Expediter
I thought it may be fuel at first also, always start simple but that dosent seem to be the prob. drained filter and ran fuel level down low befor refueling. got a couple leads from service dept also got appointment for a.m. ( which is no easy chore) in san antonio I will post results.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
How many miles are on your van? I just had a problem with losing power on my Ford. It didn't shut it down, but it wouldn't accelerate very well. Engine light came on. Turned out, the catalytic converter's honey comb was coming loose and clogged the exhaust.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

rball82

Expert Expediter
Mark, I went thru loss of power for the first 80,000 miles. You are right saying that a sprinter is not an expedite vehical. The fuel milage does not make up for loss of work due to over 100 days lost the first year and several unkept promisses by dealers and Dodge. They have replaced everything except transmission, radiator, and engine block. They will hear your problem and tell you that it is the EGR valve, that will get you to the next city. My solution was to have corporate finally replace the Turbo unit. The new one lasted for about 40,000 miles before it went out again. I am about 30,000 miles into this one and so far so good. I have not posted on this site for awhile because I was told my problems were not common,hog wash! You will continue to be towed or crawl to the nearest dealer that only has one mechanic that can work on a Sprinter and hopefully that person is not backed up with other Sprinters, on break, or as I sat 5 days for him to come back from vacation. Anything I can do to discourage a fellow driver from making the same mistake that I did will make my day.

markafd

Expert Expediter
sorry left out van has 200,000 miles. Last word after diagnosis on computer could be fuel pressure rail? Van should be 100% after repair, I mean Almost entire vehicle has been replaced at sometime. Would agree with other post I would never recommend sprinyer to anyone and if anyone with contacts at freightliner or dodge have them contact me and I will tell them what I think! since you cant talk to anyone other than recordings when you call. over 5000 this year in repairs alone. Hello GM

rball82

Expert Expediter
I have a number for a contact but do not want to post my phone number, any suggestions to reach you Mark

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a 03 GMC It was a great Van for 200,240 miles since July 4th I've dumped $5000.00 into it only thing not replaced was the Engine. first it was tie rods and ball joints then it was brakes rotors calipers and brackets then the Transmission and then it was the rearend and lets not forget the door hinges for the cargo doors at $400.00 a door I'm looking at Fords next.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

superior64

Seasoned Expediter
I also had an 04, and nothing but problems. I kept losing lightbulbs and headlights every couple of weeks. Replaced the transmission, turbo, and some other stuff. For a while could not get oil filters, I had to wait three-four weeks for parts. I finaly had an enough and got rid of it. Dodge says the engine should get a million miles. I don't believe it. I have heard too many horror stories. Next year model will be gas. For the same price I paid for the Sprinter, I bought a 6.0 ford box truck. However I am interested in seeing the new VW cargo van that may be in the US market next year. It is the same style as the Sprinter, and VW has had good suscess with it in Europe. Good luck.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I've got one that burns headlights and other bulbs out like its a bulb tester. I bet I've put 30 bulbs in it total in 2 years.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
There are problems with older models of Sprinters including 2004. I have a 2005 with 100000 miles and little problems. However getting dealer service has been a problem! I found a Mercedes mechanic outside the dealer network and I get better service at lower $$. I know we get to other cities and we don't know who works on what, but try to find a mechanic outside the dealers. Unfortunately you have to use the dealer for the computer hookup as it is not available elsewhere. look on the web for the Sprinterstore and others who have some aftermarket parts available.

Buy your oil filters by the six pack and I keep one in the truck at all times.

The mechanic has been able to source some parts cheaper through MB dealers than through Dodge dealers.

Re light bulbs, yeah it does go through quite a few. But I had similar with one of my GM vans.

The Sprinter is ok as an expedite van but you have to learn that you must drive it a little differently. Good fuel economy comes at the price of speed so you drive a little slow to save fuel. You have to lube the door hinges more often than the GM or Ford. You have to adjust the doors more often. For the most part I find it pretty good vehicle.

Was it fastman that has the GM he's replaced the frontend already??? My 2000 GM van has 500000 miles and I have only replaced the ball joints (300000). Otherwise all rest of frontend factory originals. ALso GM has best tranny in vans, never rebuilt the 2000 yet. Just make sure you change the fluid regular like... also if you drive really hard and fast, check trans fluid for burning (changing colour to brown), if it is changing colour then change the fluid ASAP.

Ford van have the no lube frontend and everyone I know with a Ford has had to replace the front end with less than 100000 on the van. Sorry the lubable GM frontend is the cheaper way to go. I did a cost analysis for the Ford and GM back in 2000 for maintenance and the GM won as being the cheaper to operate over time.

Rob Fis

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Rob,

Just want to make a comment on your post concerning the Ford non lubable front end. I know most people think this is fact but it really isn't. Everyone that owns a Ford or even other brands that are thought unlubable may want to check out this thread. Most cars and trucks out there can be lubed with a little effort. Of course most shops don't want to lube them. They would rather replace ball joints.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/1291.html

I have always been very careful about not knocking anyones product or preference but to be fair to newcomers to expediting, from what my research back in 2003 until now and from what people who own Sprinters and post on here, and from a friend who is in charge of a shop with over 200 Sprinters from 2002s to 2006s I just have to say that in my opinion a Sprinter is not the way to go is this business.That's all I will say and hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Dieseldoctor

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Forgot another thing I wanted to comment on in your post. Transmissions. From the other thread you know I have put some miles on my vans. I now have over 354,000 on my 2004 Ford Areocell. I have never changed transmision fluid or filter on any of them. In fact I have owned vehicles with automatic transmissions since 1965 and have never had to do anything to any of them except add fluid to one. It was a Jeep 4WD pickup and some hay wrapped around the output shaft of the transmission and got under the seal making it leak. I removed the hay, added fluid and never had anymore problems. My experience is if the fluid is not overheated then there's no use changing it. If it has been overheated and you put new fluid in the new fluid will cause the friction material to debond from the steel part of the disc and then you have a major failure. Some of your better transmission shops will tell you the same thing and even Tom on Americas Car Show says the same thing.
NOW SORRY FOR SHOUTING BUT I WANT EVERYONE TO GET THIS MESSAGE! THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME. I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS OR EVEN ENCOURAGING YOU TO DO IT. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Dieseldoctor

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had a power loss problem with my 2005 Sprinter and it turned out to be the turbo relay. It would come and go and usually be ok immediately after starting.

rball82

Expert Expediter
I also had problems with headlights, bought about 4 bulbs before I went to Dodge to get a Mercedes bulb and have had no problems since. Expensive but works.
As for the turbo relay, you are correct. No problems with loss of power for about 60,000 miles since it was replaced. Took about a week to order part and 3 more to install.
Thanks Mark for starting this thread, I have learned alot.

Mark OB

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got 103,000 miles on my 2005. Costs so far ONE headlight bulb 9.95 plus tax. No other problems.

As was said in another post you gotta drive it a bit different. Its a Mercedes, it runs different. Mercedes has been making diesels before Detroit was a city. Don't try to run it like a North American engine you'll pay heavily in the end. Don't take short cuts with the oils and fluids.