Sprinter van, I am so confused!

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
My $0.02:

Why would anybody in the expediting business wait an undue amount of time for anything?

Do we not, all of us, have cell phones and access to the internet? :confused:

fired at you from my Droideka

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My $0.02:

Why would anybody in the expediting business wait an undue amount of time for anything?

Do we not, all of us, have cell phones and access to the internet? :confused:

fired at you from my Droideka

As in reference to? please specify..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I am think..why don't more call ahead? for regular PM work or something needs to be changed out? Example...last year my water pump started leaking in Fargo ND...I unpressurized the rad..called the dealer in Rapid City..drove home and the drove to RC ...4 days later..parts were in and they worked on it right away...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I've been in my 2010 Sprinter for about a year now and can verifiy the Lower mpg returns. I am getting an avg of 19mpg which I will admit is not what I had hoped for at the time of purchase...

As to service costs I really dont think there is much difference at the dealership level other than the fuel filter..that particular item is a little on the pricey side. Not sure if you "HAVE" to stick with the maintenance "program" but I do as the sprinter is my life and my job.

Am I happy with my decision to go with the sprinter...to that I give a resounding YES!!..It handles wonderfully, is extremely comfortable to drive, live in, load and unload. I am extremely satisfied with the dealership I bought it from and expect that Mercedes will correct the inventory issues afore mentioned.

To me a good comparison is you can drive a freightliner....or you can drive a western star...let your budget be your guide....

Ht Hobo

What kind of mileage are you getting out of the DEF? The dealers are telling me 8500 to 10k per tank of DEF.

How many miles on it now?

Any other issues?
Thanks

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
What I am think..why don't more call ahead? for regular PM work or something needs to be changed out? Example...last year my water pump started leaking in Fargo ND...I unpressurized the rad..called the dealer in Rapid City..drove home and the drove to RC ...4 days later..parts were in and they worked on it right away...

Are you over the 600k miles yet?

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
DEF usage is a number I can only guess at...My guess would be about 10K between refills. It's a fairly minor expense at 12 to 15 bucks a bottle. Usuage depends on driving conditions..ie how much dust in the air, idling time etc.

By "Following the Program" I do not mean do everything Mercedes benz reccommends..I should have been clearer here. That would be way too expensive and over kill for sure given our high milage application...

MB dealership wanted me to do an A service (300.00)every other 10k and a B service every other 10K (400.00 Included the fuel filter)...I told them that was'nt gonna happen and we came up with a 140.00 oii change every 10k...change the fuel filter every 3rd time around..about 30k and I do a B service once a year and an A service once a year.

This was my plan for the first year and then I would reduce cost in following years by doing my own oil and fuel filter changes as I learned how. I wanted to protect the warranty (just in case) the first year and establish a service record just in case I had a major problem after warranty i might be able to get a break from MB if I could show proper care and Maint.

One of the reasons I am happy with Alpharetta MB in Ga is that they listened to my cost concerns and worked with me to this end. The expediting thing is kinda new to them and they are a little shocked at how fast I put the milage on.

By the by...They carry a pretty large selection of cargo as well as passenger vans and right now have an overstock of cargo sprinters. The sprinter manager mentioned around 4k discounts on the remaining 2010's if anyone is looking.

Back to the point...I use the recommended filters and fluids but have modified the times and milages to our industry. I made one mistake so far and changed the belts after only one year of service...good mistake to make I guess but I based the decision on 89.00 bucks for the parts...service manager "forgot" to mention the extra 200 in labor or I would have delayed that service.

I got a survey(as always) after the service and mentioned this oversight on the managers part. I got a call the next day from the sprinter manager looking for more detail on my dissapointment.

They're learning....LOL

HT Hobo

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you over the 600k miles yet?

597,900...and just clicking along...Thing is with the 05/06's is a good line of parts...and prices are not way out of whack as much as in the beginning..If it is not a sprinter specific repair as in special tool...most places will work on them...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
DEF usage is a number I can only guess at...My guess would be about 10K between refills. It's a fairly minor expense at 12 to 15 bucks a bottle. Usuage depends on driving conditions..ie how much dust in the air, idling time etc.

By "Following the Program" I do not mean do everything Mercedes benz reccommends..I should have been clearer here. That would be way too expensive and over kill for sure given our high milage application...

MB dealership wanted me to do an A service (300.00)every other 10k and a B service every other 10K (400.00 Included the fuel filter)...I told them that was'nt gonna happen and we came up with a 140.00 oii change every 10k...change the fuel filter every 3rd time around..about 30k and I do a B service once a year and an A service once a year.

This was my plan for the first year and then I would reduce cost in following years by doing my own oil and fuel filter changes as I learned how. I wanted to protect the warranty (just in case) the first year and establish a service record just in case I had a major problem after warranty i might be able to get a break from MB if I could show proper care and Maint.

One of the reasons I am happy with Alpharetta MB in Ga is that they listened to my cost concerns and worked with me to this end. The expediting thing is kinda new to them and they are a little shocked at how fast I put the milage on.

By the by...They carry a pretty large selection of cargo as well as passenger vans and right now have an overstock of cargo sprinters. The sprinter manager mentioned around 4k discounts on the remaining 2010's if anyone is looking.

Back to the point...I use the recommended filters and fluids but have modified the times and milages to our industry. I made one mistake so far and changed the belts after only one year of service...good mistake to make I guess but I based the decision on 89.00 bucks for the parts...service manager "forgot" to mention the extra 200 in labor or I would have delayed that service.

I got a survey(as always) after the service and mentioned this oversight on the managers part. I got a call the next day from the sprinter manager looking for more detail on my dissapointment.

They're learning....LOL

HT Hobo

We were in the same boat back in 05...the regular maintenance schedule was a real expensive ordeal...we like you had to adapt to the expediting ways....mostly highway miles and learning where we could extend mileage especially filters, which are wayyy too expensive.

guido4475

Not a Member
as in the past the supply line will get better..and the parts will get a bit cheaper as the knock-off parts will start appearing..

Hobo...once your warranty is up, you can add at least 30k to that filter...

Everyone tries to copy the sprinter but they all come up short in 1 way or another...

and remember..it IS assembled here, employing thousands of Americans...

Assembled here, yes.But built overseas..thus, resulting in the salt-air bath before painting, resulting in premature rust spots in weird places before it is paid off, right? Too bad they do that, for such a nice vehicle.

guido4475

Not a Member
Just for your info, I have read a ton of threads here on a lot of these issues over the last 6 months. Perhaps you should read the title of this thread. It does say "confused". If you don't want to help end the confusion, then don't reply. This ain't my 1st rodeo cowboy! Since when did you become the Marshall of this town?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Uh-Oh...lol..:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Assembled here, yes.But built overseas..thus, resulting in the salt-air bath before painting, resulting in premature rust spots in weird places before it is paid off, right? Too bad they do that, for such a nice vehicle.

Apparently they learned their lesson..they seal them now....unlike the NA slop bucket that keeps producing sub par...fix or repair dailies..oh wait...that's F.O.R.D. :D

guido4475

Not a Member
Apparently they learned their lesson..they seal them now....unlike the NA slop bucket that keeps producing sub par...fix or repair dailies..oh wait...that's F.O.R.D. :D

But,my dear fellow, with mine being a 03,it is now just beginning to show minimal rust, which will be fixed this summer..Not bad, 8 years old? And, it has only been on the hook once, due to a broken vacuum pump..The first of 2 that went so far..So I know I need to buy an extra to carry with me for the next time.Other than that, I am happy with mine..MPG were at 18.6 the other day,averaging 60, yes,a little slow, but I know I can bring the MPS's up eventually,With some modifications, but then, as old as it is, and the thought of replacing the vehicle in the near future, is it going to be worth it? Now,if only I can put a Sprinter body on this frame and drivetrain....:eek:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

So the 2010 & 2011s don't have that rust issue? Is that why you have to get yours painted? Have you talked to MB about it? Was wondering how their customer service would handle it.

guido4475

Not a Member
I still think he ought to paint it a nice pearl white with a flame job coming off the hood.That would look sweet!

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well here is my 2 cents or wait the dollar is worth less these days so that makes my 2 cents worth nothing. Well here goes I would say each vehicle (Ford,GM,SPrinter, etc) has its good points and bad I like the Sprinter because I can haul different types/sizes of loads from 1 small box to 6 pallets/baskets(auto parts) stacked 2 high, tires stacked on the floor to roof. I have lots of room to stretch out and stand up straight and walk I know what my gross weight is and what my empty weight is with all my personal stuff loaded in the Sprinter so I know I can haul 2600 lbs do I go over that? yes a little but not more than a few hundred lbs and most loads are around 1000 lbs. What ever your driving if your happy with it more power to you

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the 2010 & 2011s don't have that rust issue? Is that why you have to get yours painted? Have you talked to MB about it? Was wondering how their customer service would handle it.

I haven't heard of anyone taking MB to task on the premature rust spots....
It is a popular belief that when they are on ship to NA they are exposed to the sea air...as they are not seal coated until final assembly...hence we all got little rust spots appearing that as you know grow...they had a very cheap paint job and IMO never got any sealant at all...