sprinter van for Panther

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello
Does anyone know what kind loads Panther logistics offers for owners op on printer van? Please give me some feedback I been thinking about joining them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's all kinds of loads, but mostly it's stuff in boxes,banded or shrink wrapped to pallets.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
hello
thanks for the reply. Do they get better miles per week that you know? My main concern is getting at least 2000 miles a week or more

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One, you can never count on getting more than a certain amount of miles per week, even if it's zero miles, because now and then there's a zero week. Two, you never want to focus on how many miles, just on how much pay. Not all miles pay the same so how many miles doesn't always mean the same thing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You won't get 2000 miles a week in a van. Once in a while, sure, but not consistently. A better, more realistic goal would be 1500 miles a week, and you won't get that every week, either.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
One, you can never count on getting more than a certain amount of miles per week, even if it's zero miles, because now and then there's a zero week. Two, you never want to focus on how many miles, just on how much pay. Not all miles pay the same so how many miles doesn't always mean the same thing.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thank you for the advice. With panther, I was told it'll be fixed per mile rate and on avg, they drive 1000 miles? What would be the best start-up point for me to get into logistic business (no CDL right now)?

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for the advice. What would be the best star-up point for me to get into the logistic business?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thank you for the advice. With panther, I was told it'll be fixed per mile rate and on avg, they drive 1000 miles? What would be the best start-up point for me to get into logistic business (no CDL right now)?
Yes, they pay a fixed rate per mile. When I was with them the FSC varied from job to job. Also, DH pay sometimes varied. Accessorials vary. Layover choices and options vary. All those things factor into the bottom line and the true pay per mile. Some of that may have changed in the interim.

My thoughts are mostly based on what I know from 15 years ago. If I were looking into expediting again I'd be looking at Load-1, FedEx, Panther and Landstar and the 2 L's would be my first looks.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you again for the info. This opportunity is with Panther on sprinter/cargo van. I was told there will be pay for following: Base per mile rate, if I have HazMat or Im team i get few cents more per miles, detention pay starts after 2 hr up 9 hr is the max, get paid set amount for min per load(should not make less than that min. amount), if I cross border I get paid extra on top of per miles, load/unload I get paid, layover(loaded) i get paid, stops along the way get paid, fuel surcharge is paid weekly based on DOE, and any backhual I find I get 85%. than i have to take all of my expenses out including insurance i get from them. I was told van drivers drive avg of 1000 miles a week. Based on your experience do you think its worth trying?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was with Panther the FSC was paid on each load and it varied from load to load. Some paid really well and some not at all. That sometimes made the difference between accepting or rejecting an offer. That was about 13-14 years ago though. The rest of what you mentioned is pretty much the same as then. Fuel will be one of your biggest expenses, especially if you idle much. There is an excellent spreadsheet available for free from OOIDA, or at least there used to be, and you can input all your figures to do as many what ifs as you want.

If the drivers are averaging 1000 miles a week that means some are doing more and many are doing less than 1000 a week. Run your numbers with various amounts and see what is the minimum to survive. If you can get by on 731 miles a week it may be good. If you need 1117 miles a week minimum it would be iffy.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey thanks again, I did ran some numbers based on what i input i need to drive at least 1500 miles or more on weekly

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you have to have 1500 miles per week minimum this probably isn't for you. It is very unlikely you will average that kind of miles. A few weeks out of the year yes when things go really well but not every week. Check a few other carriers before you make a final decision.

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks you Again
That helped lastly how is industry with class B cdl on straight truck?